Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,785
Time Limit Between Downpayment and Purchase

Iím seriously looking at a new, in-stock 5th wheel at a dealer about 2 hours away. They are offering a very fair out-the-door price and the dealer has received some positive comments here on FRF.

I donít want to pickup the camper until May but theyíve said if I want to put a (refundable) downpayment on the unit to hold it, I need to pay the remaining amount within 2 months. They have no problem with me doing a PDI before handing over my money but Iíll need to do the PDI in January or February rather than in the Spring.

Iíve never bought new before. Is the 2 month stipulation normal or reasonable? I can see their side not wanting to hold the camper for 5 months based on a fully refundable deposit.

Anyone see an issue here?
__________________

__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Iím seriously looking at a new, in-stock 5th wheel at a dealer about 2 hours away. They are offering a very fair out-the-door price and the dealer has received some positive comments here on FRF.

I donít want to pickup the camper until May but theyíve said if I want to put a (refundable) downpayment on the unit to hold it, I need to pay the remaining amount within 2 months. They have no problem with me doing a PDI before handing over my money but Iíll need to do the PDI in January or February rather than in the Spring.

Iíve never bought new before. Is the 2 month stipulation normal or reasonable? I can see their side not wanting to hold the camper for 5 months based on a fully refundable deposit.

Anyone see an issue here?



First of all, it's not a deposit if it's refundable. What's the point? Second, they'll have to keep that rig on the books that entire time- this means that they'll be paying interest on it and won't have the funds available to get a replacement unit in that would be available for another customer for that entire time. IMHO, expecting them to take a "deposit", hold that rig for 5 months for you- all the while turning away any other potential customer- and all the while paying interest on it- just for you to have the option to decide you'd just like your money back come May is insane. I honestly can't believe they're offering to do that for 2 months. I would fully expect a NON REFUNDABLE deposit to be required to hold such a large ticket item for me for any length of time- much less 2 months.
__________________

dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rsdata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern KY
Posts: 3,083
as long as it is on the lot and it is not YOURS, then it is theirs to use as they see fit... sell it for a higher price maybe, borrow some item off it to fix another sold unit... maybe they just bump into it and smash something on the side...

buy it, do the PDI now ( and you will have a bit of time before summer to do repairs), and store it somewhere if you really want it...
__________________
ďToo much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.Ē Ė Mark Twain



2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 7,055
There are a couple of things I see here.

I can definitely see the dealers point. They don't want to hold on to a unit that they may be able to sell in the spring just to have you come back in may and change your mind and they're stuck with it another year.

Paying for the unit In January and having it sit until May amounts to you getting 5 months of free storage. Good for you, but that's 5 months of warranty gone when you weren't using the unit.

Also, doing the PDI in the middle of winter isn't very good unless they have an indoor facility where they can un-winterize the unit and test all the systems.

In the end, only you can decide if paying for a unit that you're not even going to see for 4 or 5 months is in your comfort zone. If I wanted the RV and wanted the free storage, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Having said that, I wouldn't put a down payment on it and if it's still there in two months (or whenever you decide) or so, then I'd make the deal on it and go ahead and pay for it then. Just depends on how badly you want that particular unit.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,403
I would not do this. Once you sign the paperwork it is yours. If it gets damaged, stolen or used to trade out parts, it is your problem. Also if someone comes along and offers them a higher price before you sign the papers, it will be gone and you will be waiting for another one. You have three good options.
1. Buy it now and take it.
2. Wait until spring and hope it is still available
3. Look elsewhere and use this one as a negotiating tool.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Never rely on any dealer for 'free' winter storage.

Stuff happens to RV's when they sit all winter on a dealer's lot...and they won't claim any responsibility for anything that does happen to it!

If you really want that camper...buy it and take it home!

Otherwise...move on and when you are ready, start looking again.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,785
Thanks for the opinions so far.

Doing the PDI in a nice warm service bay shouldn’t be a problem. They have 12 service bays. I definitely would want them to de-winterize for the PDI. For the price of a few litres of antifreeze I want to see everything working as intended.

The fact that I won’t be using it until May is really neither here nor there for me. Where I live on the north shore of Lake Ontario, the camping season is May to October unless you’re hard core and camp in cold weather. No matter what time of year you buy, you’ll only have 6 months to use it and find any issues. It’s unfortunate that FR doesn’t offer the extra 1 year warranty anymore.

As for bringing it home, I would rather not tow it home when the roads are covered in salt which they are now and will be until mid-April. Is there really that much risk with it being stored at the dealer until May? If I were to bring it home, there’d be no way to get it washed before I store it at my cousin’s farm.

The dealer has had good reports here on FRF so I think they are trustworthy enough not to swap out parts while its in storage on their lot.

EDIT: My urgency is that its a 2018 Rockwood Signature model 5er and they changed a few things for 2019 - none of which we have to have. If I wait until the Spring and this one has been sold, they’ll have switched over to the 2020 model and more changes. DW and I really prefer the colours, furniture and cabinetry of the 2018s vs the 2019s, so to get that I need to find an in-stock unit.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #8
Lacey's Spring, AL
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Lacey's Spring, AL
Posts: 2,393
...the fact that you are posting here, and asking us for 'advice', tells me that you are already 'questioning' the dealer's actions, even though you state that this dealer has 'good' ratings... (which I would not hold my hat on, regardless), and that your 'gut' has some issues with the transaction and it's 'time frame'.

I would listen to your own gut... it's not important enough to 'risk' the future of your new RV by deciding that 'today' has to be the day to purchase it. I'm sure the same 'new' RV will still be sitting there, waiting on you in May, and maybe with even a lower price...
__________________

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
...the fact that you are posting here, and asking us for 'advice', tells me that you are already 'questioning' the dealer's actions, even though you state that this dealer has 'good' ratings... (which I would not hold my hat on, regardless), and that your 'gut' has some issues with the transaction and it's 'time frame'.

I would listen to your own gut... it's not important enough to 'risk' the future of your new RV by deciding that 'today' has to be the day to purchase it. I'm sure the same 'new' RV will still be sitting there, waiting on you in May, and maybe with even a lower price...
I was questioning them at first but my ígutí is not really questioning the dealer at this point. When they said Iíd have to complete the sale within a couple months it conflicted with my desire to wait until May so I came here to see if my desire is unreasonable. I see their side more clearly now as other posters have pointed out how the dealer is financing it while it sits on their lot without a firm sale.

If it werenít at a time where there is salt on the roads this question wouldnít have come up because I wouldnít hesitate to take it home immediately after a successful PDI.

Nothing else has given me reason to pause.

So, my only decision now is whether or not there is much risk in leaving it stored on the their lot until the salt has been washed off the roads in the Spring.

This will be our first 5th wheel so I still have to order a hitch and get it installed. Iím going to go with a B&W Patriot 18K on B&W above-bed rails so I can use the Reese Revolution pinbox that bit comes with.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,320
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Itat,

One thing is Canadian law here comes into play. The old sue them mentality doesn't work and quite frankly is not needed.

If you take delivery do they have a storage lot on site separate from the sale lot? Might be easiest.

Brian
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
How do you know that it hasn't already been hauled with salt on the roads?

Do you know what the date of manufacture is?
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
How do you know that it hasn't already been hauled with salt on the roads?

Do you know what the date of manufacture is?
Manufacture date was 04/04/2018 so itís possible but unlikely it saw much, if any, salt when it was delivered - especially with the delay in delivering units theyíve had this year.

One correction from my earlier posts...itís a very early 2019 so itís more like a late 2018 model.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:39 PM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
And you never know how long that frame was sitting around in a field or lot somewhere...that could be a couple years old before it gets used.

You really can't control what happened or happens to an RV before you actually take possession of it.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
If I wanted the camper I would pay a deposit on the camper, schedule a PDI and if all was well with the camper I would purchase the camper. They are willing to store the camper on there lot, great. Some have said it will be there in May are probably wrong, if the dealer sells a lot of campers the camper will not sit on his lot long before he cuts the price. After a certain length of time without selling the camper the dealership has to pay interest on the camper. End of year deals, I bet the camper will be sold long before May. I brought the Wildcat fifth wheel two months before I brought the camper home. I did the walk through and stayed in the camper for one night and it was two months before I picked up the camper. Unfortunately that Wildcat turned into a Polecat but you never can tell that by just looking at the camper. I personally would wait but I live in N.C. and you live in Canada. Even if the camper was at your house you wouldnít be able to use the camper until May. If you want the camper buy it and let the dealer store it for you rent free, sounds like a good deal to me
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
koller1509's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jefferson, PA
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I was questioning them at first but my ígutí is not really questioning the dealer at this point. When they said Iíd have to complete the sale within a couple months it conflicted with my desire to wait until May so I came here to see if my desire is unreasonable. I see their side more clearly now as other posters have pointed out how the dealer is financing it while it sits on their lot without a firm sale.

If it werenít at a time where there is salt on the roads this question wouldnít have come up because I wouldnít hesitate to take it home immediately after a successful PDI.

Nothing else has given me reason to pause.

So, my only decision now is whether or not there is much risk in leaving it stored on the their lot until the salt has been washed off the roads in the Spring.

This will be our first 5th wheel so I still have to order a hitch and get it installed. Iím going to go with a B&W Patriot 18K on B&W above-bed rails so I can use the Reese Revolution pinbox that bit comes with.
I don't know when that trailer was delivered, but do you think they stop delivering them when the weather turns bad?? I would get it and hose it off when you get where your going. Have towed my 2017 in many winter roads - as long as you hose the undercarriage every once and a while its fine.
__________________
Larry
2014 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 6.7 Cummins
2017 Sandpiper 378FB
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #16
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
I don't know when that trailer was delivered, but do you think they stop delivering them when the weather turns bad?? I would get it and hose it off when you get where your going. Have towed my 2017 in many winter roads - as long as you hose the undercarriage every once and a while its fine.
See my post #12.

I know trailers are delivered and used in the winter but that doesnít mean Iím going to do that if it can be avoided. Maybe I worry too much about it but thatís me. Again, Iím not convinced about the risk of letting the dealer store it out of the way on their lot for a short period. And that isnít what my original post was asking for advice about.

I store my camper at a cousinís farm behind a garage. Washing it off there in January or February will be a problem. On the other hand, the field where it sits will be soft and a little muddy by late-April. So maybe a mid- to late-March pickup would be better. I have some time to think about that.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 184
If you donít mind me asking, which dealer is this?
__________________
Jim & Pam
Ram 2500, Crew Cab
2014 Hemisphere 327res
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #18
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,785
Near Niagara Falls, ON Canada
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Wisconsin/Florida
Posts: 1,311
It seems you are pretty sure that you want that model. Maybe you can get the dealer to sweeten the pot by a couple of thousand. Do your PDI, re-winterize, pay for it and have them store it to May/Apr. The couple thousand would help pay for insurance while in storage and anything that went wrong after the abbreviated warranty. The dealer would be able to order a new model. If the dealer is reputable, it would be a win-win.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #20
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Storing it on a grassy surface is probably just as bad for it than hauling it in the snow.
__________________

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


×