Old 07-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

Tire selection

Time to replace my ST205/75R14, load rating C, tires before a long trip. I've ruled out some of the cheapest brands. This is what I'm left with:

Hercules, $67
Heartland, $70
Carlisle, $75
Maxxiss M8008, $108
Goodyear Endurance, $108

Price is a factor, but so is reliability. As always, there may be trade-offs. The local dealer for the Hercules I've long had good dealings with (not for trailer tires as of yet, though), but the one for the others also comes highly recommended.

I guess my questionis: what does the extra $$ pay for in, say, Carlisle v. Hercules, or for the top two at 40%-plus extra?

Thanks much & God bless,
James

KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Not a bad idea to go up to load range d. Also the higher price tires will give you more peace of mine

vp22er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

I'm no expert, but I purchased RV tires.

I chose Goodyear Endurance. I'll tell you the basic background I learned. Goodyear's ST trailer option used to be called the Marathon. It had a good reputation when made in the USA, but GY moved production to China. The tires were less quality and the reputation dropped like a rock. The Endurance is now their new ST tire and they have brought production back to USA. Many feel it is a gamble to trust that GY has a better handle on quality control. I took the gamble.

I really don't have the knowledge to help pick a specific tire, and you'll get opinions all over the board. But something you may not be thinking of... If your trailer weight is close to max load on "C" tires, consider moving up in Load rating to a "D" tire. It's made a tremendous difference in stability for me. More so when parked than towing. Used to, walking in the trailer without jacks down would feel like walking in a small boat. The sidewall flex was crazy. Load Range "D" has a stiffer sidewall and the trailer now almost feels like jacks are down even when they aren't. Once jacks are down, we are much more solid on the campsite.

Moving up in load range will eliminate some of the options you've listed above.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragusa3 View Post
I'm no expert, but I purchased RV tires.

I chose Goodyear Endurance. I'll tell you the basic background I learned. Goodyear's ST trailer option used to be called the Marathon. It had a good reputation when made in the USA, but GY moved production to China. The tires were less quality and the reputation dropped like a rock. The Endurance is now their new ST tire and they have brought production back to USA. Many feel it is a gamble to trust that GY has a better handle on quality control. I took the gamble.

I really don't have the knowledge to help pick a specific tire, and you'll get opinions all over the board. But something you may not be thinking of... If your trailer weight is close to max load on "C" tires, consider moving up in Load rating to a "D" tire. It's made a tremendous difference in stability for me. More so when parked than towing. Used to, walking in the trailer without jacks down would feel like walking in a small boat. The sidewall flex was crazy. Load Range "D" has a stiffer sidewall and the trailer now almost feels like jacks are down even when they aren't. Once jacks are down, we are much more solid on the campsite.

Moving up in load range will eliminate some of the options you've listed above.
The major difference in stability comes from just having a heavier body construction in the tire. Most LR-C tires will match the load capabilities of the axle and springs. Only real benefit is stability and resistance to "road hazards" when upsizing to LR-D's. You should still keep them at the suggested pressure shown on the "sticker" so you get proper tread contact with the for traction (when braking" and even tire wear across the tread.

Just to add, when a tire company is developing a tire it all starts with what's called the "Green Tire" which is just the assembled materials before cured in the mold.

The "Green" is selected based on the desired end price. More expensive "greens" contain better inner liners, better sidewall/tread materials, and top of the line "green's" often contain a "cap ply" which is usually nylon to hold the tread together when hot and at higher speeds.

Since all this costs money, with the curing process being the same across the product line, those who want a lower price point choose the least expensive platform to build their tires on.

That extra "40%" goes into better materials to start with which gives you a better chance of getting a better tire to begin with. Like a tire dealer in Lewiston ID used to advertise on his billboard, "It's not how much you pay, it's how many times you have to pay it".

I'm pretty sure that Goodyear, after experiencing the Marathon fiasco with the Chinese made product, is putting a lot of effort and testing into their Endurance line.

Having retired from a company that was Goodyear's largest single "Private Label" tire company I have a little insight Goodyear and their product.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Our group has had great experiences with #1 choice Maxxis and #2 Carlisle. Go up a load range if you can. GY doesn't have enough time on the road to tell yet.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

If it were me, I'd go for the Maxxis or Goodyear Endurance.

http://learntorv.com/what-are-the-be...-your-trailer/
Old 07-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #7

Thanks, all. I like the idea of Load Range D. That pretty well means GY Endurance, if my online research holds. Thanks much!
KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #8

I replaced my original tires with Maxxis LR D and they were good. Still inflated to the trailer recommended PSI and not max sidewall PSI.
mwdilday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:16 AM   #9

My choice would be Maxxis with GoodYear Endurance second.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

I just replaced my LR-C Duro's with Carlisle LR-E in June this year. I have put about 1000mi on them the last 2 trips (both were about 500mi each round trip) in 95* heat driving 65-70mph on I95 and 4-lane highways and the tires did great. I could not be happier with my selection. Best of all, I got them for $67ea shipped to a local store.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...-E-10/55012166
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #11

several years ago I saved $30 tire on some 325x16" tires. I bought Cooper manf. tires instead of BF Goodrich...two years later I got to buy more. Guess what I bought?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #12

I'm not a brand plugger. However, I do a lot of RV trailer tire (all designs) research.

The total number of RV trailer tires used today on our trailers still do not have Nylon overlays or wedges. Mostly in sizes 14" and below. The wedges and overlays are designed to prolong the effects of tread separations.

Another tire add-on is a sidewall scuff guard. Hardly any of the ST tires have that feature.

The new GY tires have both of those features.

Other brands such as Maxxis and Power King have a Nylon overlay in 15" & 16" tires only.

Another thing to remember; When you buy USA made tires their pricing is normally going to be higher because they don't receive any government tariff discounts. Almost all others do except maybe Maxxis.

Tags
select, tire