Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Torn, Wildwood or Rockwood mini lite?

First of all, I'm glad there is a forum specifically for Forest River..thanks to everyone that contributes!

My wife and I spent a few hours today looking over both the Wildwood 241QBXL and the Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S. We are leaning toward the wildwood because of the bigger bathroom, but don't want to throw away the idea of the mini lite. It's a tough call. I like the mini lite slightly more, but my wife likes the larger bathroom of the Wildwood.

I understand you get what you pay for and I've done a little research, but I wanted to reach out to you guys and see if one of these models are more reliable than the other.

Thanks in advance!
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
Site Team

You do know that they different in construction, right?
The Wildwood is stick and tin, while the Rockwood is filon and aluminum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

Agree with bikendan; better construction on Rockwood. Had the Flagstaff twin to the 2109S; nice TT.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Thanks all. It's a tough call since the Wildwood offers a little more in the way of preferred floor plan. Unless it will fall apart in five years, I think we might give it a go. I have to let the dealer know by today so this may be a last minute choice...
Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

After looking at other makes/models that had more floor space and bigger bathrooms along with Rockwood 2104S and 2109S models, we chose the 2109S. Yes, the bathroom is smaller, but we do not really need to spend a lot of time there. We love having the sofa instead of a dinette and the smaller slide-out as opposed to the u-shape dinette in the 2104S model. We also like the window over the bed. This was a first-time purchase of a travel trailer, so of the better construction, the superior interior cabinetry, pass-thru storage, and the overall weight were important to us when making our decision. We are very happy with this model.
macalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
Thanks all. It's a tough call since the Wildwood offers a little more in the way of preferred floor plan. Unless it will fall apart in five years, I think we might give it a go. I have to let the dealer know by today so this may be a last minute choice...
Choose what makes you happy, but realize that the Rockwood/ flagstaff are a better built unit. There is a reason all the higher end units are not stick and tin anymore.

Also, i really love my Flagstaff 21fbrs (same as Rockwood 2109s)

Old 11-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #7

I agree with all the Rockwood votes! Much better constructed camper.

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
15 -21FBRS 17-F150 2.7 e

Love our 21fbrs 3000 miles on it this year so far. 5000 by the one the year. It's been fantastic
J.Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

Quote:
First of all, I'm glad there is a forum specifically for Forest River..thanks to everyone that contributes!

My wife and I spent a few hours today looking over both the Wildwood 241QBXL and the Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S. We are leaning toward the wildwood because of the bigger bathroom, but don't want to throw away the idea of the mini lite. It's a tough call. I like the mini lite slightly more, but my wife likes the larger bathroom of the Wildwood.

I understand you get what you pay for and I've done a little research, but I wanted to reach out to you guys and see if one of these models are more reliable than the other.

Thanks in advance!

I own a wildwood xlite. Bought it earlier this year. I've been pretty pleased with the build quality. Are there better? Yes but you can say that with anything. If you take care of it and maintain it, it should give you many years of happy use. In my travels this summer I saw many old campers, lots of them Wildwoods somewhere north of 8-10 years old. All looked decent for their age.

The camper game is interesting, there is a lot to know, and waaaaaay too much to choose from. In the end I think any camper that doesn't leak is a good unit, although admittedly I'm still learning my way but thus far I like what I've seen of the wildwoods.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Canadian Member

Welcome to the forum!

Only you can decide which floorplan is better suited to you. Quality wise, I agree with the other posters that the Rockwood will have a much better fit, finish and build quality.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #11

Thanks, and trust me...I get it. I would've loved the Rockwood, but for our daily needs it just wasn't cutting it.

Our maiden voyage will be in 3 weeks so hopefully we'll identify any major issues before then. I'll let you guys know how it goes! I got plenty of duct tape, wood glue and JB Weld...what could possibly go wrong?
Old 11-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
StlClay

We have been extremely happy with ours Minilite. Going on three years now and no plans to change

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, and trust me...I get it. I would've loved the Rockwood, but for our daily needs it just wasn't cutting it.

Our maiden voyage will be in 3 weeks so hopefully we'll identify any major issues before then. I'll let you guys know how it goes! I got plenty of duct tape, wood glue and JB Weld...what could possibly go wrong?

Congratulations on your Purchase. See you around the
Old 11-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

We looked at the Rockwood and settled on a Palomino 201SS. Similar plan with a bit smaller bathroom but similar otherwise with 23' overall, 3800 dry weight. It has the newer construction and have been very pleased with it. No major issues at all with it. It was under $17k for the new 2015 model.

Only issues are radio antenna was not working, awning is slow to retract and some other minor issues. We purchased it in July of this year and have had it out probably close to 20 or so nights thus far this year and it has worked flawlessly. One great feature it is come with a full size queen bed that is very comfortable

Good luck with your purchase whatever you decide.
2008 Rockwood Freedom 1640LTD
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #15

I've had all types of campers from pop-ups, to travel trailers to fifth wheels. My wife and I full timed for seven year before we bought another house and settled down after retirement. We sold our fifth wheel and got out of camping but that didn't last long. This year invested in a Rockwood mini lite 2504S and we love it. Just right for us and to take a couple of grandkids along when we can. I don't think you can go wrong with the Rockwood but only you can decide.
skin149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #16

We chose the Mini Lite for quality vs price. After the fact, I found out that in Oklahoma at least, a lamented finish is less expensive for insurance purposes than aluminum finish as aluminum siding is more prone to damage from hail and flying debris.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #17
Canadian Member

Quote:

Rivet, you posted last night that you were undecided but leaning towards the Wildwood. Sounds like you decided and ordered the Wildwood today?

I was going to suggest you look at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S since it has a larger bathroom than the Wildwood, but it may be too large for your TV?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #18

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Rivit,

My wife and I were amazed to see your post because we've had BOTH of those trailers, exact models. We presently own a 2015 Wildwood 241QBXL.

We loved our Rockwood but in October of 2014 (you may have seen it on the news) a crane flipped over and crushed it. It was a total loss. We then spent the next month shopping for a replacement and finally settled on the Wildwood 241QBXL instead of another Rockwood. Here's why:

The Wildwood's front is aerodynamic and easier to tow because of less wind resistance. We felt that the construction of the Wildwood was slightly better than the Rockwood (our opinion), the Wildwood is a larger, roomier trailer. Our Wildwood has ducted A/C (MUCH quieter than our Rockwood), fully electric awning and front and rear stabilizers and only cost $13,995. The Rockwood was more money. We also love the simulated wood flooring on the Wildwood.

Be bought our Wildwood 241QBXL up in Crestview, Florida which was 400 miles from Tampa Bay. We drove 400 miles to save $4000. We now have had the Wildwood for a year and love every minute we are in it. We made the right choice for us.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #19

Torn, Wildwood or Rockwood mini lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Rivet, you posted last night that you were undecided but leaning towards the Wildwood. Sounds like you decided and ordered the Wildwood today?

I was going to suggest you look at the Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S since it has a larger bathroom than the Wildwood, but it may be too large for your TV?

Yes Sir, we looked at that but really didn't want to spend over 20k. You're spot on with the bathroom dilemma. The Rockwood bathroom was just way to small and the height of the sink/counter was extremely low. I was sold with the aluminum framing and materials...heck I was truly wanting an Evergreen I-go, but we think the Wildwood was the better choice for us right now. I'm handy with a wrench, but hopefully I won't spend as much time under it as I did our pop up.

I forgot to add that yes, keeping the weight down was priority one. I just have a suburban 1500 and didn't want to get all white-knuckled driving this bad boy around.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
Rivit,

My wife and I were amazed to see your post because we've had BOTH of those trailers, exact models. We presently own a 2015 Wildwood 241QBXL.

We loved our Rockwood but in October of 2014 (you may have seen it on the news) a crane flipped over and crushed it. It was a total loss. We then spent the next month shopping for a replacement and finally settled on the Wildwood 241QBXL instead of another Rockwood. Here's why:

The Wildwood's front is aerodynamic and easier to tow because of less wind resistance. We felt that the construction of the Wildwood was slightly better than the Rockwood (our opinion), the Wildwood is a larger, roomier trailer. Our Wildwood has ducted A/C (MUCH quieter than our Rockwood), fully electric awning and front and rear stabilizers and only cost $13,995. The Rockwood was more money. We also love the simulated wood flooring on the Wildwood.

Be bought our Wildwood 241QBXL up in Crestview, Florida which was 400 miles from Tampa Bay. We drove 400 miles to save $4000. We now have had the Wildwood for a year and love every minute we are in it. We made the right choice for us.

Wow Bob! Sorry to hear about that and I'm glad you and yours were safe. It sounds like we have similar taste with TTs and since you've had both, I'm excited to hear someone (finally) 😁has given the Wildwood a vote. I know problems are inevitable, but we just wanted to make sure we were making a sound financial decision.

Tags
rockwood, rockwood mini lite, wildwood