Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
My wife put our camper and both our trucks bundled on geico and save $400 every 6 months over us having bundled insurence with GMAC. im sure we could probably shop around for a better deal but saving $800 a year over what we paid before for our 2 trucks and trailer wasnt so bad.

Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Titleguy is correct. When the trailer is connected to the tv it is covered by tv. When the trailer is not connected to anything then trailer the trailer insurance covers it.

2009 Ford F250 Super Duty
2008 Flagstaff Ultralite 23FBS with slide out (standard)
2006 H-D Flhxi
2001 H-D Dyna
Honda 2000i
Champion gen 4000
buccello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
i dropped allstate after 15years on my TV and personal car...switched to 21st Century (part of Farmers) and saved over 50%!...i use them also for my TT at a discounted rate for only $200 per year..

Mark and Connie
2008 3001W Windjammer
2005 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L
Equal-i-zer WD
mkollath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Car and trailer on separate insurance.

One smart thing we did was get replacement coverage for OUR FORMER TT. It doesn't cost much, but apparently is only good for the first 5 years after manufacturer.

After the collision (rear ended by a nearly unisured driver) our TT was considered total and we got our money back...
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe, 2013 39 days, 2014 59 days
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #15
Newly retired and ready
My educated two cents worth

Having been in the insurance business for over 35 years and a recent retiree from Nationwide (no commercial here) I will explain.

From a TT standpoint the only coverage it gets from the vehicle that is towing it, is liability insurance (damage the trailer does to someone else or someone else's property). So if you are backing into a camping spot and hit the camping unit next to you with the trailer, the towing vehicle provides the coverage to the other camping unit. The damage to your trailer would be covered by your TT policy, providing you are carrying collision coverage on it.

I would also caution people to know their RV policy well. We all have a tendancy to pack of lot of our personal possisions in our TTs. Know how much if any coverage you get from your homeowners policy and how much coverage you may need to add to your TT policy. Just carry comprehensive and collision on your TT will not give you coverage on your possessions.

Several carriers (Nationwide included) have started offering vanishing deductibles. That means that for every year you go without a claim, they will reduce your deductible by $100. So if you have had your policy for 4 years and have a $500 collision or comprehensive deductible, you would only have to pay $100 out of pocket for your loss.

Nothing wrong with having different companies on the TT and the TV just make sure there are no gaps in what you expect for coverage. You also may be missing some multi policy discouts for having them seperate as well.
Gl111349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #16
i agree with GL you have to be carefull alot of home and car insurence company sell rv insurence but its not really rv insurencethey will insure a motorhome like a car/van/truck and not cover actuall damages to the coach or the stuff inside it. geico goes real rv insurence that covers eerything from inside and out so does progressive, GMAC and Allstate but if you look closely esurence,state farm and several others hae major gaps in thier coverage and thats how they get the ultra cheap price.
Covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
Hey tbritt,

What kind of damage can you get from HELL? I've been told to take a trip there but I am not going! I'm going the other direction at the end of my days!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Site Team
Allstate does not offer "Replacement" coverage in CA. It is very important to know what your coverage will cover or not. Also since Allstate will determine what the value of my TT is at the time of an major "oh-oh" it would be helpful to have current pics of the TT to support the actual condition in case we disagree. I'm going to try and take a few pics around the TT birthday.

I also didn't get a discount when the TT was stored inside at a warehouse which suprised me. After all the more secure the TT is the less change of break-ins or damage.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
I just purchased a 2012 Forest River Flagstaff 26RLSS in August, 2011. My insurance just for the TT is $250/6 months.

I investigated Blue Sky, but it does not appear to be available to residents of New York State. Any suggestions?
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #20
We insured our A126 with progressive as USAA doesn't write camper/motorbike policies. They have a partnership with progressive for those needs. Comp Collision and loss of use liability and replacement cost coverage with $1000 personal item protection run us $109 a year.

USAA extends all of my coverage to the camper while towing.

Our progressive has the vanishing deductibles as well, and replacement cost is one year newer camper for first 5 years and original purchase price after that, with no depreciation. They also offer acv less salvage coverages but at only $109 I didn't see any point.

2011 FR Rockwood Premiere A126 Hard Side
TV=2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Dr
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote