Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

trade in value dispute

Hello All
5 weeks ago purchased a Catalina 29dds and traded in my old TT. At time of purchase the salesman gave me a price for my trade-in sight unseen and we closed the deal. We agreed that I would drop off the trade in within a month or so. The new trailer is still at dealer until end of Winter. I dropped it in yesterday however and the salesman was pressuring me to fill out an evaluation form for my trade and sign an agreement that if it is not up to their standard that I would be responsible for costs. I believe it to be in good shape for a 2008 but do not feel comfortable giving them basically a blank check where they decide what it is worth. Is this normal in the industry? I had no problem waiting to bring trade in before closing the deal. That way we could negotiate with firm numbers. Curious if anyone has had a similar experience.
Kevin
Constructionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Tomas View Post
Hello All
5 weeks ago purchased a Catalina 29dds and traded in my old TT. At time of purchase the salesman gave me a price for my trade-in sight unseen and we closed the deal. We agreed that I would drop off the trade in within a month or so. The new trailer is still at dealer until end of Winter. I dropped it in yesterday however and the salesman was pressuring me to fill out an evaluation form for my trade and sign an agreement that if it is not up to their standard that I would be responsible for costs. I believe it to be in good shape for a 2008 but do not feel comfortable giving them basically a blank check where they decide what it is worth. Is this normal in the industry? I had no problem waiting to bring trade in before closing the deal. That way we could negotiate with firm numbers. Curious if anyone has had a similar experience.
Kevin
I would NOT sign it! IF, he insists, walk away!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

I worked a long distance deal for my current TT. It was subject to their approval of my trade. If the dealer didn't like it, we'd just part company. Sounds like you've linked up with a sleazy dealer. If you already have a contract, read the fine print. If there's no "approval" language, I'd just tell them "Here it is. Take it or leave it." If you don't have a contract, I wouldn't walk away. I'd sprint.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the input however I cant walk away as I have already purchased new one. I am happy with deal that we made, and as far as I am concerned the deal is done. I was just curious if there was any obligation I may have. I am definitely not signing anything.
Thanks bud
Constructionguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the input however I cant walk away as I have already purchased new one. I am happy with deal that we made, and as far as I am concerned the deal is done. I was just curious if there was any obligation I may have. I am definitely not signing anything.
Thanks bud
Good!

Just do not be surprised if the dealer tries to wiggle out.

You may gather their attention by asking them if they are, if they try.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
RKR

Quote:

Thanks bud

Totally agree. If you have already signed a deal with trade in value then I would say it's a done deal. Don't sign anything. If a dealer did this this to me and said I had sign that document after the fact I would refuse. If this would void the deal then fine, I'll take my money somewhere else.
It also sounds kind of shady, might not be a good dealer to do business with.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
Oklahoma Proud

I wouldnt sign either.
I wont sign my name 50 times to make a deal. I will tell them 3-4 signatures is plenty.
1 for agreed price, 1 for odometer disclosure, 1 for insurance coverage, and 1 for financing.
I signed an agreed apon price when ordering both my 5th wheels. Then apon pickup I signed 3-4 times.

If they want more they will be conviced quickly that, that really wont be necessary! I once had a dealer ask me to sign a form agreeing to agree on a sale if they could give me a price I liked??? Really??? If im happy withthe price ill buy without a paper signed. The forms they try to have you sign to force you Into deals at some places, are crazy.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
... I once had a dealer ask me to sign a form agreeing to agree on a sale if they could give me a price I liked??? Really???
Ridiculous
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Ridiculous
And to make it even better.....I even worked for them at the time!
(This was an auto dealer- & i dont work for them any more!)

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #10

So you've purchased it, they agreed to the trade price, it's on paper? So sorry, but they agreed. I'd sign nothing.

My deal, they asked what I had, I told them, they asked about issues, which I told them that other than average wear and tear the awning, while mechanically perfect, needed new fabric as the top had rotted out. They came back with an offer (higher than nada retail I might add.) and I signed that it was as stated condition, trade value may change upon inspection. They did the financing info and showed me, but they didn't close the deal until I brought my trade.

I hauled it up there, they inspected it, an hour later they came up and told me it was just as stated and asked if I was ready to sign on the line. I saw no issue with that and we did the deal.

Since they agreed on paper to a trade deal and closed it, I'd tell them no. This is no different than if you came to them after the deal and said you don't feel your new rig is actually worth what you paid, so they owe you a refund.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The dealer may simply be trying to protect themselves for a trade in they have yet to see. They are ordering a unit for you, and gave you an estimate based on what your evaluation was. They may just want to make sure you will go through with the deal if the trade is not as you presented.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forest River Forums mobile app
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #12

if deal is done, they already own the trade for whats on paper. Theirs now. NO WAY would I sign anything like that regardless of how good your trade is
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #13

Most dealers know the value of used units without seeing them, most of the time that value is in their favor. Bought the Lacrosse from a dealer over 200 miles away in the middle of winter, had looked at it once a couple of weeks before buying for about 3 minutes, didn't like the floorplan at time, change our mind, did all of our dealing over the phone, took our old unit in, they looked, we looked, we signed and drove away with the LaCrosse.

We have bought 2 units long distance and all trades done over the phone with dealer quoted trade value and standing behind that quote.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:25 PM   #14

We traded our old Surveyor TT sight unseen for a new Keystone Premier at the Richmond RV show. There was never any question about the value of the trade-in after the deal was signed at the show. We took the trade-in to the dealer a week later and that was that. I agree with davel1971, the deal is done and your dealer already owns your trade-in.

Don and Laura + Roo
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #15

More than likely you are getting below what book is so tell them to take it the way it is or they can eat the deal. Go to NADA online and look up what your trailers low retail is and I bet your paperwork shows that or less. I don't believe in trading in you can get more selling it outright then use it to pay down the new one. A friend that is a car dealer told me this.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I doubt that the deal is done, at least I hope not for the buyers sake. The deal has been made and if both parties are agreeable in the end when its time to trade money and sign papers, then the deal is done. Everyone is quick to assume the dealer is ripping someone off. Perfect condition to one person is not the same as perfect to another. I'm not agreeing with the circumstances, I'm just trying to offer a different perspective. Maybe this dealer is straight up and is giving top dollar for the OPs trade and merely wants some assurance.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Quote:
I doubt that the deal is done, at least I hope not for the buyers sake. The deal has been made and if both parties are agreeable in the end when its time to trade money and sign papers, then the deal is done. Everyone is quick to assume the dealer is ripping someone off. Perfect condition to one person is not the same as perfect to another. I'm not agreeing with the circumstances, I'm just trying to offer a different perspective. Maybe this dealer is straight up and is giving top dollar for the OPs trade and merely wants some assurance.
The OP didn't SPECIFICALLY say he had or had not "signed the papers," but here's what he DID say:

Quote:
Thanks for the input however I cant walk away as I have already purchased new one. I am happy with deal that we made, and as far as I am concerned the deal is done.
That sounded to me like he DID sign the papers. So I would not be defending the dealer.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't buy a camper and sign on the line and pay for it without seeing it and doing a PDI. Nor, was I defending the dealer, was merely trying to ease the mind of the OP by giving another point of view on the situation, instead of most, telling him to run from the deal. I wish him well.