Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #21

Holding my breath but EVERY THING is working at the moment. For the 1st time since we got it it all works.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback Iowan View Post
Camping is no longer fun. Every time we go out something is not working. Then have to fight to get it fixed under warranty. Can't really afford to trade but when is it enough. Any advice?
I wonder the same thing: every time out is a chore repairing something. All input is welcome. Is it better to keep fixing up and older unit or buy new. The quality of the trailers doesn't seem to be what is was a few years ago.
Duane59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:16 AM   #23

I would say it depends on what kind of problems your having. Even a new camper is likely to have many nuisance-type problems. For me it was time to trade when the screws that held the fiberglass body to the wood frame rotted away!

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #24

The more I read the more I love the old Burro camper we use to own.
Safe man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #25

I had a 33 foot Mobile Scout TT and in 10 years never had one issue or spent a dime on it except for tires and brakes once. They don't make them like they used to!!!
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #26

I agree with mud_yapster.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #27

I had a Wildcat Sterling that I ordered from the factory and it should have never left the factory, it was junk and we had a trip planned for Yellowstone so we traded for a Cedar Creek. A great camper, I wish I had kept the 30RL but traded it for another CC, a 32RL and this one has been back to get some things fixed. Small things but little things keep happening to it, it's frustrating but we have no trips planned no time soon. I have looked at a Montana but I like Cedar Creeks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #28

This thread is a good example of why it often pays (in a number of ways) to buy gently used RV's instead of new ones. The depreciation is pretty horrible on almost all new models (moreso on motorhomes) and warranties are almost useless and/or cause your RV to be out of service for long periods of time.

Not only will buying a 2-3 year old (or in my case 7 year old) unit from a private owner potentially save you a LOT of money, but most of those initial build issues will have already been worked out.

Let that first owner eat the depreciation and handle all the problems. If you happen to BE that first owner... sorry! Regardless of how old your RV is though, they will always require some tinkering to keep them going. It's part of the ownership experience.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:18 AM   #29

But I don't want a seven year old rv.

I want new, and shiny.
I don't want " floral" and " frumpy" interior. I like nice things. I will pay for nice things.

In some cases, depending on location, stock and time of year...
New can be cheaper than used.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #30

Understood. And I gotta say, my 7yo honestly looks just as modern as almost anything new out there currently, in the same class that is. Luckily, the floral and frumpy RV interiors (which really DID stick around for a strangely long time, way after people stopped buying home furniture that looked like that!) ended quite awhile ago.

No problem paying for a new RV if that's what you want and you have the money. On a financial level though, I do hate to see buyers (who may not know any better about the RV market) saddle themselves with a bunch of debt on something new that will be upside-down in value within a few years.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #31

Most are upside down as soon as they buy it.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #32

Took the camper out for the first time on July 4th and I dropped the unit off 7/16 and they are still working on it. When I called Monday to check the status it wast done so I had them winterize. A bit expensive at 1 trip a year. At this point they can have it!
Duane59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Most are upside down as soon as they buy it.

2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK

Oh we've been there!. Bought in Dec 14 a brand new spanking travel trailer 2015 i18 Cobblestone by travel lite. Put 900 miles on it, took one trip for 3 months, (traded ) it Nov 15 $10,000 less plus got talk into a extended warranty, add another $1200.00, Traded it in for a 2012 2650 Sunseeker with 10,000 miles, I was pretty unsettled to say the least, I called the RV place where we purchased the lite travel , asked him was this normal..he had the gonads to tell me it was because the time of year we were trading it, but WTH (what the heck) it was the same time we bought the trailer from him..I think "stupid" was written across my forehead.
Cindi Mac
PS, but it was worth getting my FR Sunseeker..LOVE IT

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #34

The major question is whether new or used whether to trade in or not. It's good to have a trailer that fits your needs. I had a 2000 fleet wood mallard I bought in 2007 which was a great trailer when we had kids and our first TT. It was still in great condition and would have lasted us 10 more years. I knew the ins and outs of the trailer and did lots of mods to make better.

Once kids were gone I got a motorcycle again and we were in a predicament of having to decide to ride motorcycle for weekend or camp. At that time the old one did not fit my need so bought new 2016 grey wolf 26rr. I have loved it since picking it up. Got a great deal on it and I am more for the reward of enjoyment out of a recreation vehicle than weather new or used. I bought this new one for cheaper than the used ones of similar floor plan. Now we camp and ride same time.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydl View Post
This thread is a good example of why it often pays (in a number of ways) to buy gently used RV's instead of new ones. The depreciation is pretty horrible on almost all new models (moreso on motorhomes) and warranties are almost useless and/or cause your RV to be out of service for long periods of time.

Not only will buying a 2-3 year old (or in my case 7 year old) unit from a private owner potentially save you a LOT of money, but most of those initial build issues will have already been worked out.

Let that first owner eat the depreciation and handle all the problems. If you happen to BE that first owner... sorry! Regardless of how old your RV is though, they will always require some tinkering to keep them going. It's part of the ownership experience.
I tried to buy used. Looked and looked and looked. Then looked again. Just could not find what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay for it. So after an entire year of looking I bought a 2015 left over that was priced at what I was willing to pay.

US Army, 1979-1990 95BZ6
Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #36

I have always looked at buying used as buying someone else's problem. even with my issues, I still wouldn't want a broken in MH. the first miles on a motor are the important ones....I know the value drops dramatically when buying new, but when you plan on owning it until it dies, who really cares? buy once, cry once. the factory already turns out Micky moused stuff, now add another owner that" thinks" they can fix it themselves and it's a recipe for bad times. never really knowing who and how dirty the people were who used to own it really creeps me out. most people would never buy a second hand bed, toilet, or couch. get scabies once and you might think that depreciation isn't that horrible. it all comes down to you being happy with what you pay for what you get...
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #37

Quote:
most people would never buy a second hand bed, toilet, or couch...
We bought a gently used TT for 25% less than new (wholesaler) prices & we've spent the first 2 years enjoying camping vs. having warranty work done... We replaced the mattress & tires before our first trip, but we would have done both had we bought new... The OEM mattresses & tires are both crap.

I did have trouble finding a good used unit... I spent about 2 months looking before we found a like-new bunkhouse that was traded-in by the previous owner on a large 5er. I purposefully viewed it during heavy rains and it was leak-free with no signs of prior water damage, stains, etc.

We bought our used unit from a dealer for less than Craigslist, etc. and they included a FREE pressure leak test & re-caulking, FREE Equalizer 4 WDH, 2.5 hour PDI, etc.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #38

Ours has so many big things(structual) issues,my wife told me she doesnt want it.She is afraid to use it and refuses to tow it.I guess if they fix all the problems the first thing in the spring is to just unload it. She is so sorry we sold the LQ horse trailer because in 8 years absolutely nothing went wrong. The quality in the aluminum frame and interior conversion was beautiful,no cardboard,no ply wood, no plastic coated balsa wood in the cabinets, and nothing broke.She says the same as many others,in as much as if this is how camping is anymore,she doesnt want to go.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Ours has so many big things(structual) issues,my wife told me she doesnt want it.She is afraid to use it and refuses to tow it.I guess if they fix all the problems the first thing in the spring is to just unload it. She is so sorry we sold the LQ horse trailer because in 8 years absolutely nothing went wrong. The quality in the aluminum frame and interior conversion was beautiful,no cardboard,no ply wood, no plastic coated balsa wood in the cabinets, and nothing broke.She says the same as many others,in as much as if this is how camping is anymore,she doesnt want to go.

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your wife's reaction, to bad a spoiled Apple can ruin camping..tell her DONT GIVE UP...for every nightmare a dream will come true....maybe try a Airstream, met a guy who said that's why he purchased because "no cardboard,no ply wood, no plastic coated balsa wood in the cabinets" , good luck.
Cindi Mac

Cindi Mac
Cindimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #40

If we do anything we will go back to a LQ horse trailer with a 12' slide. It will do everything the TH does w/o the issues. The only thing we would give up is the walk up bedroom.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote