Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Trade it off or just keep fixing all the problems.

Camping is no longer fun. Every time we go out something is not working. Then have to fight to get it fixed under warranty. Can't really afford to trade but when is it enough. Any advice?
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

If you can't use it then it isn't worth keeping. I at first kinda felt that way but then I just fixed all the issues and we've loved it ever since. They all have issue just have to fix them yourself or wait and wait and wait some more on a dealer that might or might not fix it properly.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

I guess how long have you had your trailer? Our new Sabre had a decent size list going of warranty issues. The minor stuff I fix as it comes, and of course if anything completely bankers camping than that must be fixed also. The rest will wait till winter for one good trip to the dealer or possibly back to the factory if they deem it necessary. Give it time, but if you've done that, consider posting it on Craigslist for a fair price you can live with and move on. Sold our first travel trailer, after 2 years and 80 nights camped, for just $2000 less than we paid new.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 PM   #4

It's a 2014 Silverback 31RK. So far and this is just the major stuff, new toilet we did ourselves, new frig that did not work from 1st trip out and took over a year for them to replace it, now the A/C is out. waiting for the ok to get a new one. They left a screw under the inside slide carpet and it tore the vinyl the 1st thing. Black water slide leaked by and had a mess there. That is just the big stuff. Have fixed some stuff our self. Have had campers for years and this is the 1st FR, and last I believe.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #5

My AC just went out after 2 weeks and we will be in it for another couple months.
Static54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback Iowan View Post
It's a 2014 Silverback 31RK. So far and this is just the major stuff, new toilet we did ourselves, new frig that did not work from 1st trip out and took over a year for them to replace it, now the A/C is out. waiting for the ok to get a new one. They left a screw under the inside slide carpet and it tore the vinyl the 1st thing. Black water slide leaked by and had a mess there. That is just the big stuff. Have fixed some stuff our self. Have had campers for years and this is the 1st FR, and last I believe.
Sorry for all of your issues and hope they do get resolved to your satisfaction.

Now have you communicated directly to Cedar Creek customer service or have you just worked with the dealer only? The customer service folks seem to respond to communication from users; at least they have with me.

Now if you really want Customer Service from a manufacture go and deal with KEYSTONE manufacturing company. Keystone and it's divisions are awesome; send them anything or a phone call ( must leave message) and this goes into a big black hole never to hear from them at all. Ask me how I know.

What you need to remember is these are made by humans and nothing is ever perfect when we touch things. Also Forest River Company is just an assembler of other companies components for most of the RV; such as the AC, heater and refrigerator. These other companies I believe are responsible for their warranty issues so you need to work through the dealer, Forest River and than the auxiliary manufacture which all takes time. I am not defending them just explaining how things take time to work through items.

Are you going to the F.R.O.G. event in Elkhart IN this year? If you are you may want and take time and explain your issues to the Cedar Creek representatives that maybe there. On the F.R.O.G. site a form has been posted for attendees to fill out with their issues on their trailer.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Camping is no longer fun. Every time we go out something is not working. Then have to fight to get it fixed under warranty.
When you have had enough, take the loss & walk a way from a painful learning experience. I have adapted to a dealer that I purchased my TT from which has good people, but 3 new service managers (& staff) in 3 years. You just are not going to get much with that change over. Forest River & the Forums have been great about problems & fixes. I have learned how to fix lots of things that I had no clue where to start. I still don't like getting up on the roof though.

Camping at some great locations & friends we have made make up any the problems I have had.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

With the problems you have been having, I would say, dump it. The new ones all have problems but hopefully they will be only minor ones.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #9

Would not recommend a wolf pup or any along that line. The tires are negative camber and always were. Tires ware out on one side. The dealer said they put on a new axile, but I doubt it. The more I think about it the more I miss my old 12 ft. Burro camper. Put a lot of miles on it. Did not have to fix very many things( it did have very many things)
Safe man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #10

Sorry to hear about your troubles...

I think a lot has to do with the dealer, more than FR...

We picked up a new '14 Grey Wolf (28BH) this spring; there were a few issues - a piece of siding came loose, problems with the door, some shipping damage and broken trim.

Our dealer bent over backwards, and fixed everything; plus found and fixed a few other things when they had it, all in about 2 days. Longest part was waiting for FR to ship them the new door, which was like 6 weeks.

Is there another dealer in the area; or maybe call FR directly, if you haven't?

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
I think part of your problem is that you were pretty lax in demanding some of the items be fixed within, perhaps, 3 months. Letting a refrigerator go for a year, frankly, is one on you.

I wouldn't have hounded them. I would have written to the manufacturer, told them the problem, and if it wasn't fixed in a specified number of days, filed a small claim action against them.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Don't be a nice guy thinking that will solve all of your problems. Take it from somebody that's been there and done that.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #12

We bought the camper from a dealer we did not know at an RV show. 1st mistake. Took back to that dealer 2 times. Did nothing . Put in a valve that was left out by the water heater. We had hot water coming out all cold water faucets including the toilet. Took 2 trip do get that done. 1st trip said the cold and hot water pipes were to close so that was why. had to tell them what was wrong on 2nd trip(112 miles 1way). Complained about frig all the time told us nothing was wrong.
I worked with FR and nothing on frig. Finally called Dometic and nothing. Had it worked on under warranty thru Dometic. Tried many many things including mother boards replaced. Still did not work. Finally gave FR and Dometic 2 weeks to get me a new frig or else (something that is not suppose to be mentioned). Nothing from FR but Dometic met the dead line. After the 2 weeks was up and was getting the new frig in FR told me it had gone on long enough and would replace the frig.
Now waiting to hear from someone on A/C. I told FR and my new dealer right away. It's been a little over a week. Was diagnosed and waiting for some word. I did buy the 2nd year warranty but did not get told about it from 1st dealer. Found out about it on here.
By the way I would not go back to the original dealer for anything. Did not want to go the 2nd time but FR said we had to. Now working with another dealer and they are helping a lot.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #13

We traded our 2014 Wildcat. No longer enjoyed camping due to the many problems found with every trip. Traded into a Solitude by Grand Design. Has brought back the joy.

bryanteddie0924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #14

An Industry in Trouble.....

If you read any of the RV forums, there is a constant drumbeat of major problems that folks are having with new RVs everywhere. Bottom line, this industry is not providing quality control in either the design or manufacture of their products. The existing manufacturers will either change or they will eventually be gone, period.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #15

One repairman told us just find one you like and just fix fix fix till everything works. All brands are the same and have problems. We like the lay out of this one.
Can not go to the Rally as we are long time campers at our St Fair. If we are not in our spot by the 6th can not get into it.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #16

My Shasta Pheonix was a problem child from the beginning. Copper fittings on the hot water heater not soldered; the water tank filler tube had a hole in it where the man tried to use a torch to shrink non-strink tubing and burned a hole in it. Both of these filled the bottom of the trailer. The HWH problem had water running out the slide. These, J and J Camper in Silvis has bent over backwards working with the manufacturer to fix. The rest of the stuff is minor that I have been fixing as I go for the past 6 weeks. The shower door has driven me nuts because no matter what we did, there was water on the floor. I recaulked all around the door inside and out. Finally figured out there was no caulk on the inner corner on the tracks with the 3 doors. I put up a shower curtain, now no problems. A whole list of little things to get to as I can. But, the price of this unit, I can't afford to trade it.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #17

Bought my first new camper last November, Will be my last too. If you ask me they are all cheap made. As much as I use it I`d be farther ahead to rent a cottage and haul the atvs on a trailer behind the truck.
Big Red and 30WR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #18

I think your in a tough spot. The problem is even if you want to sell it you still have to fix all the problems, so you can get the maximum value for it. Otherwise your going to knowingly sell a basket case to some poor guy that wants to enjoy camping. Then once it is fixed you have a camper that is now dependable. Tough choice, sometimes just looking at a camper that has been nothing but trouble puts you in a bad mood. MHO sell it, try and get as much of your money back as you can, and have a different unit bring some of the excitement back.....best of luck.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #19

Got the new A/C in and now the panel on the 6 pt leveling does not light up. Called Lippert and one is being shipped and we can fix it ourselves.. After that is fixed wonder what will be next. On a good note the new frig and A/C both worked on this weekend trip.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #20
Airmech

Sorry about all your issues, but look on the bright side. Your finally working the bugs out and should be able to start enjoying your camping trips. Sure you may still run into a snag here and there but the big issues are, hopefully, done and over with. Try not to look for stuff to break, just go out and enjoy it.
smittyams is offline   Reply With Quote