Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Trading in and title transfer

I am about to purchase a Legacy Motorhome and I am trading in my travel trailer. I live in Florida and I purchased the Motorhome in Michigan.

I moved to Florida 2 years ago from Maine. When I moved to Florida I basically just parked my travel trailer and I never registered it or did a title transfer from Maine to Florida. The trailer still has the Maine plates on it. The trailer also does have a lien on it.

My question is, if I were to register the trailer in Florida and initiate the title transfer, will that be an issue for the dealer that I am trading the trailer to? I am delivering the trailer to the dealer in Michigan next week and that would not be enough time to complete a title transfer.

Before anyone says anything, lol, I know that if I don't register in Florida and I tow the trailer that I will be towing an unregistered trailer (it still has liability insurance from the tow vehicle). I also know that I was suppose to title transfer 10 days after moving here.

I don't have an issue registering the trailer but I don't want my deal to fall apart if the dealer can't get a title because it's in the process of being transferred.

Thanks for any input you got.......
Mons02035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

You're not going to like what you find... Mainly with the lien and FL taxes. There used to be some wiggle in the laws for parked and for sale, but been years since i lived in FL. Honestly, you are best to get on the phone tomorrow and get the letter you need for FL to transfer and register issued on Monday. I have to believe FL can do transer on the spot with all in order.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #3

To me the key here is the title. If the dealer can secure a clear title, and he will by paying off the lien, then it doesn't matter where the registration is, or even if registered. You don't unregister a vehicle. You just have to get to the trade in dealer without being stopped for expired registration. Would take a very savvy cop to stop you for that. I think best route is just call the dealer and ask what is needed. JMO.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

I would call the dealer you are trading to. Maybe he could send you a paper plate for the transfer.

2nd --my thought is that even if you got stopped on the trip up to Michigan. An explanation might get you a warning. Or even a ticket will probably be cheaper than the transfer.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #5

In Oregon I can purchase a temporary tag for 10 days can't they do that there.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
rd3

definitely call the dealer first and see what they need. They deal with this kind of stuff all of the time. Better than stressing over it and finding out later what they actually need.
rd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #7

Registration

In Texas we can buy a temp. Lic. for $25.00
You should check and see if FL. does that.
alayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses.

Florida will not issue a temp if you live in Florida. But I did learn that Florida offers an express title for 10 bucks. So I ended up registering it and it cost me about 70 bucks total and it's good until August (your birthday).

Thanks again all for responding, I appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #9

Towing an unregistered or one with "swapped" plates is a felony in mi.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote