Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

Trailer options with a VIN#

I have a VIN# to a travel trailer we are looking at from a private seller. Is there any way for me to give the VIN# to a dealer or person and find out the exact options and features? The dealer I tried in my local area is a very small dealer and was not able to get the information. It is a 30QBSS LE. I believe it is 33' but not clear on the empty weight. Would this be 1/2 ton towable by a 2005 dodge ram hemi, 4x4 quad cab?

Are there truck and trailer combos for sale on here? Thanks for the help. As you can tell I am new to the trailer world.
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Always Learning

You should be able to contact the manufacturer directly to find out the original build sheet for the camper.

What brand is this? It looks like 30QBSS LE is used by a couple.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Always Learning

And, yes- there are sometimes truck and camper combos for sale here. You just have to look through the Classified Ads.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You should be able to contact the manufacturer directly to find out the original build sheet for the camper.

What brand is this? It looks like 30QBSS LE is used by a couple.
It is made by Forrest River and I believe is a Salem 30QBSS LE. When I looked into contacting Forrest River, all I could find was "locate a local dealer" and they were of no help to me.

Thank you for your reply.
camplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Always Learning

This is easily my favorite PDF on the Internet, here's Forest River's warranty contacts:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf

The Salem rep should be able to put you in contact with someone who can do this lookup for you.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camplight View Post
It is a 30QBSS LE. I believe it is 33' but not clear on the empty weight. Would this be 1/2 ton towable by a 2005 dodge ram hemi, 4x4 quad cab?
Here are the current specs for that camper:
Salem Travel Trailer by Forest River

The camper that you're looking at may deviate from this somewhat, but this gives you a ballpark for estimating. It looks like you're going to be looking at a full 15% of the camper's weight in tongue weight (dry hitch weight divided by unloaded vehicle weight). My guess, with a dry weight of 6,500 pounds- after options, necessities (propane, battery), and your stuff in a 33' camper, you're going to be looking at adding 1,000 - 1,500 pounds of stuff.

8,000 pounds of camper at 15% tongue weight gives you 1,200 pounds of tongue weight.

Given that it's a camper with bunks tells me that you have kidlets along for the ride. 1,200 pounds of tongue weight is a heck of a lot to ask of a 1/2-ton, especially when you add in the spouse, kids and a bit of junk in the trunk. My best guess, that's too much camper for the truck.

More specifically, what is the hitch itself rated at?

Tags
trailer