Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer values

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a new 5er. How do you determine what price you will trade in or sell your used camper for?

I have a lacrosse 2012 303 RK and I have no clue what it would be worth. No dents dings and everything works but no clue to asses value of trading it in.

Any ideas on what to expect? I realize as all recreational vehicles it a money loser but have enjoyed it more than any house or car I ever had.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #2

It is difficult to come up with values. Check nadaguides.com and sales sites rvt.com. rvtrader.com and ebay. On ebay if you log in you can do an advanced search for completed sales for actual sales prices if any of your model have sold. It is a challenge good luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

They will prob give you a super high number for your trade in but then only knock off a few grand for the new one. They call if difference money. You can play with the numbers any way you would like. Typically you can get 30-35% off the new one but not easy to get that with a trade in. They wanna bury some of that fluff in your trade. Nada will give you a trade in number but it's retail not wholesale. Dealer is gonna offer you wholesale since he has to list it at retail and make money.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
They will prob give you a super high number for your trade in but then only knock off a few grand for the new one. They call if difference money. You can play with the numbers any way you would like. Typically you can get 30-35% off the new one but not easy to get that with a trade in. They wanna bury some of that fluff in your trade. Nada will give you a trade in number but it's retail not wholesale. Dealer is gonna offer you wholesale since he has to list it at retail and make money.
Any idea of % difference from wholesale to retail?

I found a price range from $19,900 - 24,000 on RV trader but these were 2011's and both were dealers so you know they will sell cheaper than that.

I am thinking $17-18k?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNewbees View Post
Any idea of % difference from wholesale to retail?

I found a price range from $19,900 - 24,000 on RV trader but these were 2011's and both were dealers so you know they will sell cheaper than that.

I am thinking $17-18k?

Well I can tell you when I traded in my TT the low nada retail was 16500 and high was 18500. Dealer told me wholesale was 13500. It's prob gonna be 4-6k less then retail because the have to clean it up a little and advertise it. They also have some carrying cost if it sits on there lot for several months and they have to pay the salesman commission and make some money for themselves. So expect them to sell it at the retail number. Obviously your gonna get less then that. If you owe more then wholesale they will tell you they can pay it off but honestly it's just coming out of the new one. If that's the case you may only get 25% off new msrp. As much as we would all like and I've tried, they won't give you retail for your trade in and then sell you the new one at wholesale price. You may do some hardball with them but there gonna make money on it.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Well I can tell you when I traded in my TT the low nada retail was 16500 and high was 18500. Dealer told me wholesale was 13500. It's prob gonna be 4-6k less then retail because the have to clean it up a little and advertise it. They also have some carrying cost if it sits on there lot for several months and they have to pay the salesman commission and make some money for themselves. So expect them to sell it at the retail number. Obviously your gonna get less then that. If you owe more then wholesale they will tell you they can pay it off but honestly it's just coming out of the new one. If that's the case you may only get 25% off new msrp. As much as we would all like and I've tried, they won't give you retail for your trade in and then sell you the new one at wholesale price. You may do some hardball with them but there gonna make money on it.
Thanks, that helps. I don't owe much. Good money down and made triple payments.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #7

You can act like you have no trade and get there bottom number on the new rig. Then at least you know how low he can go. Wait a few days and then throw your trade in the mix. Then you can use his number against him.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #8

NADA has listing for campers also. If you can't find a link to the rv part of the site you can get there through VFFCU.ORG Web site.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Since I have an "in" at our dealer, the actual cash value of a trade is nada wholesale minus 25%. Any major damage or broke parts take off another 15%.

At this value, while it may seem low, they will give you their actual cash prices on rvs.
.....or you can play the stupid numbers game with inflated prices all around.
- but this is my dealer, and they are a bargain price dealer, very competitive with the major internet companys.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #10

Good to know. I wandered how close NADA was to trade in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Best I can figure, wholesale is somewhere around 80-82% of nada retail. But thats the calculations that I've seen. I don't know if thats the math that is actually used.

oops. forgot to check mark that stupid box again!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Best I can figure, wholesale is somewhere around 80-82% of nada retail. But thats the calculations that I've seen. I don't know if thats the math that is actually used.

oops. forgot to check mark that stupid box again!
Using the math from your previous post, thank you very much, I am averaging the high and low retail numbers from NADA and multiplying by 70-75% and coming up with what I believe our trailer to be worth wholesale. Very good topic, thanks all for posting!
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #13

its actually irrelevant as they are going to offer what they want and will only negotiate so far, than you are left with the decision of if you are happy with he offer or not. you can sell it yourself but than again people will only pay what they feel its worth.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Site Team

[QUOTE=Todouble;528428]You can act like you have no trade and get there bottom number on the new rig. Then at least you know how low he can go. Wait a few days and then throw your trade in the mix. Then you can use his number against him.[/QUOTE
X2
Dealers love it when you do that, but thats how you find out.

I find walking out and saying NO always helps out. May take a few days but it makes em sharpen there pencil.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #15

[QUOTE=Platokidd;532913]
Quote:
You can act like you have no trade and get there bottom number on the new rig. Then at least you know how low he can go. Wait a few days and then throw your trade in the mix. Then you can use his number against him.[/QUOTE
X2
Dealers love it when you do that, but thats how you find out.

I find walking out and saying NO always helps out. May take a few days but it makes em sharpen there pencil.
or in the case of my dealer, he gives you the price he can live with, if you don't like it he will shake your hand and thank you for stopping in. I have tried to trade all 5 of the rv's I had in the past 5 years and nobody, from Lazy Days to camping world, to any of the smaller local dealers varied by nore than a few hundred dollars on values, it was just a waste of effort and days, even if you find a better deal at a wholesaler , good luck with your service as local dealers do not have to service it.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 PM   #16

Is 25% Good Discount?

Just negotiated deal with 25% off MSRP and nada book for my trade. For you experienced guys, is that a decent deal?
TopTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTiger View Post
Just negotiated deal with 25% off MSRP and nada book for my trade. For you experienced guys, is that a decent deal?

I would say it's not terrible. Most dealers can do 30-35% off msrp and still make money on the sale. This just means he buried some of that in your trade in because he only gave you 25% off msrp. If your happy and feel like its a good deal then go for it.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #18

I agree if you are happy with it that is all that matters you can probably always get them down a little more but is it worth the time and aggravation? I have sold all of mine on craigslist except 1 which I traded. I would throw it on craigslist and see what happens you will know right away if it is priced right and it is free. You can also list it here on the forum for free. I think you ALWAYS can get a better deal with out a trade.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #19
Site Team

X2 on craigslist... sold many cars , trucks and campers with no problem.
The last 3 campers I sold on there in just a few days to the first person who looked at them. My phone never stop ringing. I had to keep a list of who would be next to look .
I saved about 40% off msrp on my 2013. didnt do that well on the 2014 as I had a trade.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #20

When you trade in do you pay tax on the cash difference, like a car?