Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #41

Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
Today I called AARP Hartford Insurance for the insurance for my 2013 Salem Cruise Lite 221RXBL. I already have my vehicles with them. I almost fell over when they said $47.00. But they went on to explain that it was $47.00 a year! Wow I am pleased!!!!!!!!
I just switched from USAA to Harford AARP last week. Gonna save almost 400 dollars a year.
jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Bill,

Thanks for posting this. You really have me thinking about it now.

I decided to call and pose the exact question you asked and you are right.
AAA Plus RV will not tow your travel trailer if the truck has broken down but the TT is otherwise fine.

Thanks again for making me aware of this limitation.

Think I'm going to look around for alternatives
TRIGUY If you fine any please let me know .Try your car ins. and there is Good Sams and Coach Net and they tell me they will tow your trailer to a campground or garage.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #43

I've done some shopping and found that GMAC is a good value. They allow for a credit back for the months you take collision off for storage (~$13/mo), and they offer $0 deductable if you have Camping World do the repairs, such as awning damage etc.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Bill,

AAA Plus RV will not tow your travel trailer if the truck has broken down but the TT is otherwise fine.

This got me thinking too so I dropped in to inquire about my AAA Plus RV policy. After asking lots of questions I was told my trailer would be towed up to 100 miles if the truck breaks down. Looks like I have a bit of research to do.

While I was there I did get a insurance quote on the truck along with a quote on insurancing both the RV & truck. Even with doubling the deductables it was still $200+ more per year than what I currently have. The good news is that I got a free mini duffle bag while I was there.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #45

tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
This got me thinking too so I dropped in to inquire about my AAA Plus RV policy. After asking lots of questions I was told my trailer would be towed up to 100 miles if the truck breaks down. Looks like I have a bit of research to do.

While I was there I did get a insurance quote on the truck along with a quote on insurancing both the RV & truck. Even with doubling the deductables it was still $200+ more per year than what I currently have. The good news is that I got a free mini duffle bag while I was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
Bill,
Are you talking about prepaid towing in case your vehicle breaks down? I am not sure why they told you that because it conflicts with their policy statements for AAA Plus RV. Attached are a few pieces from the handbook plus the member handbook description that describes towing of eligible vehicles, which includes travel trailers with AAA Plus RV.

Granted, I haven't used it so cannot prove it though my own experience, but, through the description and through their conversations with me, I have no reason to believe they would not tow the trailer if my truck broke down.

Of course, I could be wrong and in for a rude awakening when I need the service

TRIGUY On page 6 in the 2012 handbook under AAAPlus RV it states. 100 miles of towing for eligible RV,motorcycles and travel/boat trailers That have become MECHANICALLY DISABLED.So that tell me if your truck breaks down your trailer is not cover. I was told when I bought it the first time I was cover but would be charge for two tows that was find with me.
2019 camp 17 nites. Bill,Alley and are two kids Sierra,Ivy. 2020 camp 9 nites
Old 03-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
Bill,
Are you talking about prepaid towing in case your vehicle breaks down? I am not sure why they told you that because it conflicts with their policy statements for AAA Plus RV. Attached are a few pieces from the handbook plus the member handbook description that describes towing of eligible vehicles, which includes travel trailers with AAA Plus RV.

Granted, I haven't used it so cannot prove it though my own experience, but, through the description and through their conversations with me, I have no reason to believe they would not tow the trailer if my truck broke down.

Of course, I could be wrong and in for a rude awakening when I need the service

TRIGUY On page 6 in the 2012 handbook under AAAPlus RV it states. 100 miles of towing for eligible RV,motorcycles and travel/boat trailers That have become MECHANICALLY DISABLED.So that tell me if your truck breaks down your trailer is not cover. I was told when I bought it the first time I was cover but would be charge for two tows that was find with me.
I went back to AAA to get the coverage in writing so I can review it in detail. The AAA I belong to is Southern California Auto Club. Under this policy my trailer would be covered to be towed along with my truck even if the TT is not mechanically disabled. If I belong to a AAA in Northern CA the coverage could be different.

I didn't get a handbook but was given a copy of the "Member Guide". I will visit another location and see what I can find out.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #47

We have Good Sams emergency road service (covers all vehicles) for towing and roadside assistance. The trailer is covered under Allstate for around 120 a year. It covers value of trailer, content theft and the usual collision and liability details w/250 deductible.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I went back to AAA to get the coverage in writing so I can review it in detail. The AAA I belong to is Southern California Auto Club. Under this policy my trailer would be covered to be towed along with my truck even if the TT is not mechanically disabled. If I belong to a AAA in Northern CA the coverage could be different.

I didn't get a handbook but was given a copy of the "Member Guide". I will visit another location and see what I can find out.
I was told the same when I had it so good luck if you break down
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
We have Good Sams emergency road service (covers all vehicles) for towing and roadside assistance. The trailer is covered under Allstate for around 120 a year. It covers value of trailer, content theft and the usual collision and liability details w/250 deductible.
It will tow you to the nearest campground or garage or rest stop if you are to far from home .
Old 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #50

Quote:
Bill,

I sent AAA a questioner to see if all policies are the same across the country.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #51
Happy Keystone Owner

Found out last year that accessories, such as awnings, aren't included in your policy unless you specify you want accessories included. I was lucky and my agent was able to "fix" my selections.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #52

I just got a quote from Progressive on-line with total loss replacement/purchase price and $500 deductible for $250 per year. I'm paying the same now through USAA but only for replacement cost at the time of loss. I'm going to call USAA to see if they will match otherwise I will probably switch to Progressive.

Progressive Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price
Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price coverage provides you with a new, untitled RV if your RV is five model years old or less and is deemed a total loss. If an RV older than five years is deemed a total loss, the payout will be the purchase price as reflected on the Declarations page.

The purchase price value includes all permanently attached equipment, tax, title and license. The value should be increased if additional equipment is added. This coverage is only available for new RVs, up to one model year old.

2013 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2011 Infinity QX56
maverick_415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
I sent AAA a questioner to see if all policies are the same across the country.
Let us know what you find out. I'm still checking into this but also will be considering other options this summer.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #54

I have my home, autos and trailer insured with Statefarm. They do cover the towing of the trailer as far as I know. It was cheaper for me anyways compare to other insurance quotes I have gotten. $170 per month for everything.
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote