Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
Well if you have the cash you could get both in one of those Hi-Lows. They look like a pop up but they are hardsided like a TT.

Seasonal site camping
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Real big issue is Pop-ups are not allowed at Yellowstone Nat. Park - campers are becoming bear food. Hybrids can be left closed and are permitted. Security is a bit better with hard sides, too. Bridge Bay, Canyon, Fishing Bridge RV Park, Grant Village, and Madison Campgrounds prohibit tents and other tent campers.

turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
Had two Pups, enjoyed them, but got real tired of the lack of privacy. I don't always want to get up when my camping neighbor does, listen to his conversation, his music, his kids cry @ 2AM or his snoring at night time. Sleeping with ear plugs in isn't fun. (Don't get me wrong, TT are not sound proof, but a lot better).

Benefits of a TT or 5ver: Having my own shower, bathroom and all that is great .Rainy days are a lot more tolerable in the 5ver than in the Pup. We do 2-3 week trips in the summer. The 5ver makes that a lot more tolerable. Having a freezer for ice cream is great, as well as an oven for baking.

Benefits of the Pup, better mpg's, don't need to own a large tow vehicle, can fit it on almost any site.
OldCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
pop ups are great we had ours for about 5 years and had lots of good times in it and put on lots of miles. after a few years we decided that we wanted to go bigger and seasonal now we just got to our spot at the campground turn everything on and lite the campfie
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #15

We recently moved up to a hybrid TT. We used a '89 Starcraft Starmate for 5 years and put a lot of miles on it. We got it because it was an excellent price and in amazing shape for it's age. We were not ready to totally give up tent camping, but we didn't want to be on the ground anymore.
After a couple summers of bad weather following us around, AND our boys growing a lot bigger, we decided to get a travel trailer, a hybrid one. Reasoning for this was we could get a 19 foot trailer that can sleep 8, good for parking in smaller camp sites, and as we loved our pop up, we really liked the idea of pop up style ends for the beds. As for noise, we only go where there are very fer people (dry camping), and usually a river for fishing, you know, nice nature sounds. The choice is entirely yours, there are benefits to each, especially being out with family.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant
notice the OP never responded and hasn't posted again.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
Not Quite Retired
There is an old Indian saying that may shed some light on this subject: "White man builds big fire, stand far back; Indian builds small fire, stand close".

If you like to tour camp and visit multiple sites on your outings, go with something smaller and easy to tow/set-up. If you'd rather go to one spot and stay a while, then try something larger and more comfortable.

There is no one "perfect" camper for all, you must balance many competing issues and decide what's best for you. My single person tent strapped to the motorcycle gives the most freedom to go where you want, but the htt is a great deal more comfortable for me, the wife, and Chester (Black Lab).

Just get out there and do it!
Enjoy Life! Hayden & Carol
WB4MBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
We just sold our pop-up and ordered a travel trailer. We went from tent camping to pop-up to travel trailer several years ago and had to sell the trailer because my husband had to work too much to use it. Then about 3 years after that we started the cycle again, tent, pop-up and now a new travel trailer again, which I can't wait to get. I thought I would be happy with a pop-up since it basically had everything in it but after 2 years I wanted a trailer again. My biggest problem besides poping it up after it rained and like someone else mentioned, you can hear everything that is going on outside, was climbing over the beds to make them. I like to take sheets and blankets so that was a real pain and Im getting too old to do that. Whatever you decide Im sure you will have a ton of fun in it.
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #19
Went from a tent to a pop-up to our TT. Really miss the outside air and free space of the pop-up. However, in my humble opinion, I prefer the TT. Lots of space, better heating and cooling, more privacy...etc.... If you can pull it go with a TT.
Scouts Out, L Troop 3/2 ACR 76-79
Desert Storm Part One 1991
2009 SV 291
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #20
my advise is go with the most you can afford now. because if you get a pop up you will want a tt soon. we looked at pop ups and realized that for a few thousand more we got a nice used tt that was twice as big. we bought the tt which we have since upgraded to a fifth wheel. my neighbor bought a pop up and within two years has sold it and bought a tt. they are nice if that is all you can do but I suggest you get a tt. and never look back.

2009 Surveyor 306 BH 5er
2005 Dodge ram 3500 Turbo Diesel
4 kids, two dogs and the lovely wife.

Jon Breen is offline   Reply With Quote