Old 09-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #21
AKA Bluebird
Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
notice the OP never responded and hasn't posted again.
And that the original post was from 06-08.

Happy Camping! ///// Richard D.
2006 4x4 Ford 250 SD / 2007 Flagstaff 827 FLS
One very patient wife and one furry child who travels with us. Forty-two years of trailering and camping, and I still have a blast.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
Tent (3), New Coleman pop-up (nice), TrailManor (to much work), 27 ft. Rockwood (THE END!)

dano 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #23
I've had both pop-ups and now a hard sided travel trailer. The pop-ups I had were actually hard sided pop-ups one was called a chalet and then I had a trailmanor. both are great for certain purposes, the chalet was small enough where I could take it on many very rough narrow dirt roads, it popped up in no time only about a minute. But it was small, a queen bed on one end a galley in the middle dinnette on the other. I moved to larger trailmanor, one of their larger models and although it was fairly spacious it was more time-consuming to pop up and after a long three-month trip with numerous setups and breakdowns that got old. I think if you are looking to save on gasoline and your primarily going to a location staying a week and then returning home a pop-up can be fine. A hard sided pop-up might even be better, but there is a premium price to be paid for the hard side of pop-ups.

But if you really get to be traveling, driving a day staying the night and then driving another day that everyday set up becomes very tedious. That's why I traded in my pop-up for a hard sided camper. My gas mileage has plummeted but my comfort level has greatly increased.
2009 Ford 150 Platinum
2010 Rockwood 2604
Buck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #24
I had a Ford Explorer and a pop up and loved the gas milage and the way it towed. One night it was raining sideways and we took a motel for the night. A TT looked pretty good at that point. We now have a Chevy 1500 and a Rockwood 2603 and the weather does not matter.
Fireman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #25
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
And that the original post was from 06-08.
We all know we continue to post to these because so many others read what we write, and for those new people with the same question I will add my two cents.

Tent Camping... Loved it, but with kids and two or three tents it became too much work

Bought Pop-up, once at the campground and set up, loved it, loved the open air feeling, small heater at night (used heater only a few times only). Absolutely hated breaking down camp, we were always the last to be hooked up and ready to leave compared to our friends with full size trailers. Now comes the biggest dread... a week before a trip - pup-up the trailer, load up with clothes and food, put the trailer down, put bikes on the roof, kayaks on the suburban, oops, forgot something, open it up enough to stick something in the door, close it up again, get to camp, open it up, unload it, (damn, it's raining and everyone else sits in the suburban till I get it set up by myself) try to work with the awning cause I'm too short to reach it, good thing I have several coolers to stand on, get the awning set up, attach ropes to anchors on the ground, light the water heater by hand, manually change the fridge to gas, pull out all the sleeping bags, set up the table, the sink, the stove, now it's time for a beer, which cooler is that in? Camp a few days, have lots of fun, and now I have to do everything in reverse... did I mention the awning is a pain to open, well closing it is worse cause you have to roll it up, then stick it in the bag that you have to zip up, load up everything (hope it isn't raining, usually not now that you are ready to leave, turn off the pilot lights, change the fridge to 12v, stuff all the sleeping bags, now where do all the poles go? Oh, and the storage trunk on the front is only really accessible when the trailer is down, yeah, there are a couple of small access doors, is camp completely closed up yet? ok, drive home, damn.... got to set it all up again, clean it out, close it up for storage. Whew... I thought tent camping was a lot of work, what a crock!

Now, with my full size trailer, set up ready to go in the driveway, okay, open the door to add a few things, close the door, lift the jacks, hook up and drive... get to my site, unhook in less than 15 minutes the trailer is level, awning is down, and fire is going... what a relief.... I can really enjoy that beer rather than needing that beer....
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
Ditto that. We had a Roo Hybrid and even felt that took too long and especially if it was raining! Love the full hard sided travel trailer now!
Pull-Rite 16K Super 5th
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289WS
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #27
I've owned both and after 3 seasons of opening the thing up to load the fridge, floor, etc. closing it up, traveling, opening, closing, getting home, opening to unload, air out, closing for storage, reopening for upgrades and/or repairs, yadda yadda..... I got tired of spending so much time cranking the thing open and closed, I upgraded to a travel trailer.

The pop up is great if you only want to tow with a small truck, suv, or mini van and only plan to camp a handfull of times per year. but if you camp nearly every weekend in the summer and for week long stays or more as our family does, nothing will beat the travel trailer. I am fortunate to have a large shop where I could air out and dry my pop up's canvas, but have seen a lot of those things rot out and get funky smelling if not properly maintained.

The hi-Low or A-Liner series of pop up hybrids seem like they would be an ok scenario, but then again there goes the open close, pack unpack issue again. I suggest renting each on back to back trips and see which suits your families style before blasting the $ on one or the other.
Tony Z
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM   #28
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
I've owned both and after 3 seasons of opening the thing up to load the fridge, floor, etc. closing it up, traveling, opening, closing, getting home, opening to unload, air out, closing for storage, reopening for upgrades and/or repairs, yadda yadda..... I got tired of spending so much time cranking the thing open and closed, I upgraded to a travel trailer.
Indeed. I just sold our pop-up that we had since 2001 and upgraded to a TT which should be here in a few weeks. Looking forward to the time at the campsite and at home that is usually eaten up by packing it/unpacking it/packing it/unpacking it. Also with two adults and kids aged 10, 12, and 14... and I don't care if they said my pop-up "sleeps" 7... it was way too crowded to enjoy anymore. As much as an upgrade that a pop-up was from our family's previous 10+ years of tent camping, I'm ready to move on and move up!
Matt_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #29
Originally Posted by natepickle View Post
What is best and can you tell me why
Like other have said. Hybrid is the way to go. We LOVE ours! Although we just bought a DP, so we're selling ours if you are interested. It's light, full-bathroom, shower, kitchen, big fridge, AC, Grey, black and fresh water, cable TV hook ups, antenna, 30AMP service. etc...

2007. JAyco 17EXP. Great condition, well cared for and loved (I'm pretty sure I'll cry when we sell it.) All new tires, everything works.

If you are interested let me know, you can see pictures at:

2000 Forest River Reflections 327s DP
Toad = 2009 VW Tiguan.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 30-somethings wishing they were retired.
Prepilot_3ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #30
I've had both, liked both and agree with all the points made previously. I'll just say that you can't always find a rest area when you need one. So if you need to pull to the side of the road or a parking lot and use your own facilities, it's a lot more difficult in a pop-up.

2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote