Old 04-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #31

We'll chime in on this too..

We started with a Starcraft pop up, experienced the great outdoors with 2 little kids (one being pottie trained). We also discovered the pop-up/pop-down time was really eating into our camping time and the pottie training runs were running us down

We moved up to a JAYCO M254 hard expandable. Much improvement in our camping experience. Kids get bigger, we grew tired of their big feet stepping on ours in the JAYCO (it expanded the length not the width).

We just got our new 2010 Surveyor sv294 with a bunkhouse and it expands in width. We can't wait to get started this season. Maybe by the end of the month!

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #32

This has been so much fun reading what everyone has been saying. There was one poster that gave a detailed description of the joys of having a pup.. I was laughing so hard at everything they said! OH SO TRUE! Loved every word.

But for now I'm still stuck in my pup. I'm having major dreams of having a Hybrid. Hoping that within the next year we will have it. Got our hearts set on the Roo 21SS. Been in one... sat there.... tried out everything. PERFECT FIT!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #33
Cunning Linguist

Something I didn't see mentioned that may affect your decision is where you live, as far as homeowner associations and deed restrictions. If you can't properly air-out/dry the unit after trips and live/camp anywhere that it rains or has siggnificant humidity, I would suggest avoiding anything with canvas.

A pop-up may or may-not fit in your garage. or store somewhere in your yard where the HOA-Nazi's won't have a problem with it (or you may have one of those accomodating HOA boards <fantasy..LOL>

If your camping places it rains & there is canvas on the unit, you need to make sure the unit is completely aired-out dry before locking it up for storage, to prevent mildew & musty smell.
I've personally never been in a Florida tent/pop-up/Hybrid that didn't smell like mildew factory within 2 years of purchase, which is why I made the evolution from tent, to pop-up to TT (plus I moved into a community with a HOA board from hell).

Of course with the TT, I can't park it at my residence & have to budget extra $$$ for storage ...... but my trailer smells as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago & I use it as much as 2x/month.

Again, maybe it's just Florida ....but I've never been in a pop-up/hybrid that didnt smell like a pop-up/hybrid
Old 07-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #34
MrT

Hello Everyone!

My first post in this forum. Thanks for having me.

My family and I have progressed along the typical tent>popup>TT route, and I can say that all were fun and memorable. The latest TT gives us freedom from the setup (and potential maintenance) of a popup, at the expense of a greater purchase price and towing weight.

Consider your needs, time, climate and budget.

A reputable dealer can be of help.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Most of my camping since '90 has been to the US Nationals in Indy. In '05 I decided to move up from a tent to a popup. The popup was OK as it got us off the ground a few amenities (a proper fridge rather than a cooler. However the setup & dealing w/ moisture is a pain. I'm retired now & plan on doing a few trips. The popup is OK if you are going to a destination for a few days, then returning home. But if you're moving on each day, the set up & take down will get old quite fast.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopuppy View Post
Real big issue is Pop-ups are not allowed at Yellowstone Nat. Park - campers are becoming bear food. Hybrids can be left closed and are permitted. Security is a bit better with hard sides, too. Bridge Bay, Canyon, Fishing Bridge RV Park, Grant Village, and Madison Campgrounds prohibit tents and other tent campers.
this statement is untrue!

popups and hybrids are allowed at all campgrounds at Yellowstone, EXCEPT Fishing Bridge. i was at YNP last Sept. with my hybrid and stayed at Madison and Grant.

someone always warns about hybrids or popups being banned because of bears. but in 4 years of being on RV forums, not one person has found any other campground other than FB, that has a continuous ban on soft-sided RV's.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveqvs View Post
Well if you have the cash you could get both in one of those Hi-Lows. They look like a pop up but they are hardsided like a TT.
Unfortunately they've announced their closing up shop:

Allvoices.com - External Link
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

When I was looking for a TT, I was shopping in the lower end of the market. Not pricewise, but size wise. Yes there are some sub-20 footers that don't look much bigger than a popup, but once you go over 20' it was hard to find 1 (in the local market) that didn't have @ least 1 slide out (which I didn't want or need). The 2106 I bought fit my needs perfectly.

If you do move up from a popup, you don't have to go all out & buy a 30 footer.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
If you do move up from a popup, you don't have to go all out & buy a 30 footer.
I second this. We debated back and forth on what to get. We usually tent camp and hated coming back and setting up the tent to dry out. We have an HOA so we can't popup a popup in the driveway.

We went with a lightweight short (21 foot) TT and could not be more happy. This works well for us without the need for drying out time. We load it up and go. We have a small full bathroom with a door!!!

This is an endless thread. Everyone has an opinion. But it was good for me and my wife. We used all those opinions and created our own!

Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Hi natepickle, it also depends on how much money your'e willing to spend on a camper; what area of the country your'e in, and how big your family is. I have had 2 Coleman Fleetwood Pop ups, and loved them both, Agree tht they are MUCH easier to pull, almost no gas mileage decrease, however you must pop them up to load up for a trip, then down to travel there, then up upon arrival, then camp.... Hopefully it's not too cold, although SOME have a built in heater. Then pop it down to go home... (hopefully it's not raining), then arrive home tired and have to pop it back up, unpack everything out of there, sweep and /or mop the floors, empty the water holding tank, then pop it back down...(Hopefully still no rain)! This is why I personally bought a TT over the pop up....You can leave it packed with more stuff, it usually has more and larger amenities, the appliances are much better, and, like Bob and Nina said you don't need to worry about the rain. GOOD LUCK, Randy
This is the exact reason why we sold our coleman pop-up and bought a TT. the pop-up was to much work and left me worn out after setting up camp. Also the popping up to load and unload was a hassle. I have had both shoulders operated on and I just do not want to crank and crank and crank anymore.

We loved the popup and had many great times with it, if not for medical reasons we would have not looked into TT.

With that said, we are very happy with our new used TT, we paid $6000.00 for ours after selling our pop-up for $2200.00. We now have more room than ever before and a shower/potty wich the pop-up did not have and was a factor for my DW and Daughter.

They now have a potty and I have much less work to do at the campsite.

Insurance is only 16.00/ month with emerg road service included through Allstate, the pop-up was only about 12.00/month so no real difference in the cost of insurance.

Storage is now an issue sinccethe pop-up was kept in our garage for free, open storage on a 29footer is $25.00/month where we live. This is a very reasonable expense, although I will be moving to covered storage when one opens up for $60.00/month wich adds up over the course of a year $720.00/year covered or $300.00/year open storage.

Towing needs were a big shock, We needed a Weight Dist Hitch and Sway control. We bought the Equilizer hitch with built in sway control on sale for $450.00, a Prodigy brake controller and pigtail connector $120.00, Mirror extensions $65.00, larger tow ball $15.00. All was on sale but still came to close to 700.00 with taxes and out the door.

Sewer dump kit $65.00, etc. etc.

All of this must be considered to make an informed decision, at the end of the day is all a personnal choice, we choose a 2005 Salem LE 29BHSS.