Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #41

We replaced our pop-up with a TT. The Starcraft pop-up (10' box) was actually wider than the current 17' Wolf Pup TT, which meant that we couldn't see over or around it while towing - we can at least see behind the Wolf Pup even without mirror extensions. The Wolf Pup only weighs about 850 lbs (dry) more than the pop-up.

I wanted a TT that was easier to heat (the AC for cooling was just a bonus) than a soft-sided pop-up and that took less set-up/tear-down effort. We live in the PNW and frequently we were packing up the pop-up while still wet, which is unpleasant. The TT has a queen bed which stays "made" while traveling (admittedly with a bunch of junk piled on it).

Of course, the pop-up trailer was also 17 years old - in 17 years the mfrs have figured out to shoe-horn a lot of improvements in.
WildPlumYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #42

I looked hard and long at pop ups before I decided on the hybrid. I needed something light that I could tow with my Ford Ranger. I am so glad i didn't go with the pop-up. Not only are the before mentioned setup concerns valid, the refrigerator is tiny (2.7 CF I believe) and it is on the ground, not within easy reach for an old guy like me.. The hybrid has a 6 CF fridge and seperate freezer. The Hybrid was close to the same cost as a good sized pup-up but with many more ammenities.
For me it always seems compromise = regret
get what you really want = satisfaction
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #43

When we went to our local Rv showmin october my intent was to pick up a fleetwood Avalon. My wife is spoiled and it had to have full Hookups.
When we got there, not only was the Salem hybrid five grand less, it weighed about the same and came with ac and an awning.
I changed my mind on the spot and picked up the hybrid.
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #44

We didn't consider a popup because my Harley won't fit inside!
rcpd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #45

No more tent trailer for us. One of the biggest mistake was to buy one. Reasons are by the tons. When it rain you have to reopen the tent to dry. When it is the flies season in the fall tons of flies gets inside even if you try to block every small gaps. Last year me and my neighbour which had a Fleetwood camper and us with our Flagsstaff we were fighting the flies with portable vacuum cleaners. Another problem when it is very windy try to live in a tent trailer. Everything shakes. Another one is the noise from outside : you can hear everybody talking and their music late at night.Another one; when you turn in your bed at night the trailer shakes even if you set the jacks properly etc etc etc. The good things with a tent trailer is the room for the beds. Lots of room and they pulls easily behing your vehicle. For the last one we liked to hear the birds waiking up early in the morning. We sold it for a good travel trailer new Rockwood with a pull out. I dont regret nothing even if they are more big to pull .The set up in these enclosed trailers is a piece of cake compared to a tent trailer specially when you set up in the rain.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #46

We had a pup and the cables broke. what a pia that was. Three corners one foot up and the fourth about 6 inches up. Then the second cable snapped with the extra pressure. The roof would not go up or down. Glad several other campers came to my rescue and lifted the broken side up level with the good side while I lowere the roof. We were 800 miles from home and could not find a dealer that would repair the cables. Went to wally world and purchased a tent. The holiday was not ruined but I cot a lot of strange looks at CG when I pulled in with a pup and set up a tent. When I got home had cables repaired and sold trailer. I would never purchase another pop up trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #47

the wife and i had a starcraft galaxy popup for 6 years bought it new in 2000 traided it in o6 for our cherrokee we loved camping in our popup very much but decided to try camping at a permnant site and love it even more we may buy another popup sometime to go other places again but we will still keep our perm site
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpd34 View Post
We didn't consider a popup because my Harley won't fit inside!
If you see my Harley on a trailer call 911 because it would be stolen! LOL
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #49
CampeRooo

1st camper was an older Rockwood pup. "It has character", my wife informed me, but it was something to get us up off the ground yet still enjoy the outdoor feel of sleeping outside. Lid stopped popping up and after several days of trying to fix it myself, I got frustrated and sold it off to someone more mechanically inclined with springs and chains.

Our next step up was a hybrid...no more cranking the sucker to get it setup. Bonus was the existing awning, AC unit, a real refrigerator (not just an ice box), and toilet & shower. Again, still up off the ground, yet get to experience the outdoor feel with the drop down bunks and canvas surrounds.

Once this one gives up, falls apart, or stops working...we'll be moving on to a 5th wheel because...well, it's nice to have a little cush was we get older. Pull up, unhitch, setup the awning and slides, crack a beer and we're there.

I know this doesn't answer your question about which is better...but simply put, you won't know until you try it for yourself to see what suits you and those you take with you.

Good luck with your research!
Joe

P.S. Side thoughts: You might consider renting one if it's available in your area. I know of one near me that rents and they will even pull it to a site for you if you have one within 30 miles of their location. That way you get the look and feel without the obligation of being "stuck" with it if you don't like it. Maybe someone you know might be willing to do the same...doesn't hurt to ask.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #50

just moved 'up' to a tt from pup

Here was our thinking on things...

we tent camped when we were just married (often via motorcycle). I got tired of sleeping on the ground, being wet, not having running water and hot coffee, plus all the packing to go camping.

We found a $400 1966 Apache Raven popup - all canvas (real canvas) tent about the size inside of a dinette on a TT. Tiny. But it met the needs of getting off the ground,most things we needed stayed in the camper. It was stupid easy to tow (barely 5 feet wide and 800 lbs!). But being that small many things had to still be packed and go in the back of the van.

Along came kids and camping with grandpa - he's got a large coleman popup (with slide and all sorts of amenities). It's a step up from what we have (it's got a full kitchen, dinette, bathroom, but there's as much set up and tear down and if you pack up in the rain you get wet, the dew or rain you have to unpack/setup at home to dry out, etc. I see this as more work than fun and I don't want more work in my life.

Our kids are getting to the age they want to bring friends camping but not yet ready to tent it outside our camper. We have a son and daughter - bunking with us or each other is wearing thin as well.

So our needs are faster easier set up. less issues with rain (it always rains at some point, or threatens to). Seperate sleeping for each kid and us (this turned out to be the primary concern in choosing a TT). I wanted a fridge (i've grown very weary of replenishing ice) and a toilet that wasn't a 200 yard walk in the dark away in the middle of a rainy night.

The only downside is size - we just bought a 28' Grey Wolf TT - we need to now go buy something that can tow it and that will add 50% or more to our monthly gasoline bill year round (buying a vehicle just to tow costs about the same over a year's time but costs more to buy than just upgrading our current vehicle).

So there is a cost issue - vehicle, TT costs more and perhaps storage if you can't keep it at home. But in our opinion we'll camp twice as often, at least, and more comfortably with a TT than a popup. The hardest part now will the the drive to the campground instead of the wife and I 'disgreeing' over the setup of our popup.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #51

We just traded in our 2006 popup for a 30' tt. We had a lot of good trips in the popup but the family grew and so the camper had to do the same. The biggest down side to a popup we found was setting it back up when we got home to let it dry out.
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote