Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #1

Traveling toll roads

Have a trip planned from NE PA to Va Beach,Va. Was going to go over the Bay Bridge tunnel. Just looked at the website and started adding all of my tolls- Total from PA turnpike, Rte 1 in DE and Bay Bridge will be $56 one way- YIKES! Figured out different route, adds 80 miles and about 35 minutes difference, but no tolls. Not familiar with western travel. Are there a lot of toll roads or is it mostly open interstate?
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #2

A few in California, but the majority of the rest of everything Nebraska west is toll free, not sure about any up around Seattle,
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Have a trip planned from NE PA to Va Beach,Va. Was going to go over the Bay Bridge tunnel. Just looked at the website and started adding all of my tolls- Total from PA turnpike, Rte 1 in DE and Bay Bridge will be $56 one way- YIKES! Figured out different route, adds 80 miles and about 35 minutes difference, but no tolls. Not familiar with western travel. Are there a lot of toll roads or is it mostly open interstate?
If you have a GPS you can set it up so that you can avoid tolls, but you may pay more for fuel and take you longer to get there.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #4

What's a toll?

Actually we do have one, it's for the new Tacoma Narrows bridge and it's $4 to cross one way only (eastbound) otherwise we don't have any toll roads out here in the west.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
If you have a GPS you can set it up so that you can avoid tolls, but you may pay more for fuel and take you longer to get there.
I've got a Ford factory nav. system, and it's pretty limited with what you can do. I never really gave much thought to the tolls, after I got EZ Pass, I never really knew what I was even paying. New truck (dually ) new trailer (triple axle), so I knew they were going to be higher. Just wasn't quite prepared for what it was!! Seems to be a North East thing, usually never hit a toll booth south of VA., but I gotta go thru them all the way up thru Maine. Only ever encountered the Ohio turnpike to the west, haven't been farther than that. Even with paying the extra for fuel, I think I'm still better off missing the tolls. Only downside is longer to get there
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Only ever encountered the Ohio turnpike to the west, haven't been farther than that. Even with paying the extra for fuel, I think I'm still better off missing the tolls. Only downside is longer to get there
Well.... I figure "the man" is going to take it from me one way or the other.. so I may was well be having fun when they do!

Best tolls I've ever paid are in my RV!

TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Lets see....you will be traveling 80 extra miles, that is probably and extra 10 gallons in fuel, so you will only be saving somewhere in the vicinity of $25.

Why don't you try 1 way down, and another back ?? We enjoy traveling new roads.

BTW, if you do the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, you will need to turn off the propane during that leg of the trip, as well as any tunnel you travel through to get to VA. Beach.

The Eastern Shore (Delmarva Pennisula) is pretty country, and the Bridge Tunnel is a nice ride.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #8

We go through Chicago 3-4 times a year, and even thought we live in Minnesota I picked up one of their I-Pass, it save us about half the toll cost plus we don’t need to stop by all the booths.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #9

You'll need to be aware that many tunnels don't allow propane so be sure to check that out before you plan your route. Wouldn't want to get to the tunnel and having to turn around because they don't allow propane.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #10

Yeah, I know about the propane in the tunnels. That's why I started using I78 to I83 to I695 when I go to Myrtle Beach. First year they had the restriction at Fort McHenry tunnel, ended up way out on Francis Scott Key bridge- what a LOOOONG roundabout way!! Next year, went thru late nite, and never saw any signs until we got to the tunnel, and with EZ Pass, they never stopped me. I called the Bay Bridge to verify going thru, and they said propane is O.K. as long as the valves are closed. My big concern is the height restriction being 13'6". Spoke to a seargent, as my new trailer at the A/C is EXACTLY 13'6", wanted to know if it would definetly fit and all he could tell me was that RV's go thru there all of the time. I explained again about my height being exactly what the restriction said, and his response was they have height detectors, so if I am too high, they wouldn't let me on to begin with. Well, that's just fine, but I would have to turn around and drive all the way back up and off the eastern shore to get where I'm going. Not the best scenario in my book.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Semis go through the tunnels all of the time, and most of them are at the max of 13.6'. It looks close, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Cutting off your propane before entering 1 of the tunnels in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia is not a problem either. There are mandatory pull-offs manned by VDOT personal that vehicles that are carrying hazardous or propane are required to stop at. The VDOT worker will confirm that your gas is off, or just ask you. You see RVers going back to cut the propane off, as well as stopping on the other side of the tunnel to cut it back on. It is a way of RV life when traveling through VA. tunnels. Personally, I like it......just another way to make our roads safer.

BTW, if you cut the propane off without turning the fridge off, the fridge is going to try to continue to light. I take the time to open up the camper and turn the fridge off before turning the propane off. It is also a good time to check that everything is riding OK inside and out, check my axle temperatures, hitch, and just stretch the legs a little.

After a neighbor warned about the wind turbulence of going though the tunnels, I pinched the seat of my truck the 1st time I went through. Wasn't bad at all. Makes you a little more aware of staying between the lines, though.......it is close, but not a problem.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #12

Good thing you changed your route. To the best of my knowledge if you carry propane you wont be allowed to enter the tunnel.
TENNESSEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
One other detail about the Bay Bridge Tunnel. They won't let RVs cross in the event of high winds. Might want to check that out at Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel --News Alert and keep that alternate route in mind.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNESSEE View Post
Good thing you changed your route. To the best of my knowledge if you carry propane you wont be allowed to enter the tunnel.
Not so. Check out: Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel -- GAS REGULATIONS

Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #15

Well, the whole thing blew up on me. Ended up having to cancel the trip. Was gonna do the roundabout way on the way down and use the tunnel on the way home. Figured the campgroungd was only about an hour from the tunnel, so if I would have had to turn around it wouldn't have been a major setback. Thing that really got me was when I called the tunnel directly and spoke to a Sgt. He really didn't give me a lot of info, basically told me to try it, and if I was overheight they would make me turn around. That would have meant driving to the tunnel and then all the way back up to cross to the west side of the bay and go south again- probably add something like 3 hours to the trip!!!