Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
TT Insurance

Ok, I'm sure this has probably been discussed somewhere, but searching the forums didn't come up with it, so here's my question: when I purchased my TT from the dealer and he arranged the financing through a local bank, of course I was told "You have to have your camper insured." Now, I've owned other trailers in the past (car hauler, utility, small pop-up, etc) but never had any of them insured. I was brought up believing that any trailer you're towing is covered by your tow vehicle's insurance. So if I'd get in an accident, my auto policy (or the at-fault party's) would cover it. When the TT is sitting in my yard (95% of the time,) and a tree falls on it, my homeowner's insurance would cover it. And if I'm at a CG and a tree falls on it, the CG's insurance would cover it. Since its not a drivable and not capable of causing an accident on its own, I can't envision a scenario where it wouldn't be covered under one of these other I nuts? Now I realize that the bank wants their collateral on the loan insured, but do I really need a separate policy or rider once I pay off the loan? Opinions please! TIA...

2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #2
I have a Work and Play WRS30, the way I see it is. If I'm I am at fault in an accident, my car insurance will pay for the damage to the other persons car, if I have full coverage my insurance, my insurance company will pay for my truck to repaired. Not my $30k towable trailer, that's why I have it insured, also for fire, tornados, theft etc.

jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
I have insurance even though I have no loan. I think it's worth it. My auto coverage wouldnt cover full replacement value if totaled. My HO policy wouldn't either. I wouldn't trust a campground to cover anything at all.

My camper policy offers full replacement value coverage. If my trailer it totaled tomorrow, I don't get blue book depreciated value. I get enough to replace it with same or like model.

The first thing you probably should do is examine your House/Auto policies and/or call your agents and find exactly how much coverage you have. I'll bet you'll be surprised how little you actually have.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
You should call your insurance agent and get the facts from them as all policies are not the same. I also have separate policy for my camper and will keep it even when I pay camper off.
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW 6.7L Powerstroke
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
We have a separate policy for the trailer with full replacement. We did find out we needed to have an additional rider for the awning as our insurance company looked at the awning as an add on even though it was factory installed.
2010 Sabre 28RETS
J4A4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
I have always insured ours, but it is a tough question to get an honest answer, because we tend to ask insurance agents and lets face it they are in the business of selling insurance. For what it costs it's a cheap way of putting ones mind at rest, although any insurance is a gamble because you never know how good it is till you need it.
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured motorist, and you have to turn to your auto insurance provider to pick up the tab on your trailer, be ready for reality to set in. Yes, most/all states require motorists to carry auto insurance, but the facts show that a high percentage of drivers are either non-insured or under-insured. It's not worth the risk to me to be uninsured on my TT, and depend on a stranger to make things new again if my unit is damaged. As for campgrounds covering the bill if 'an act of Nature' drops a limb on your trailer, I'd be interested to learn how many folks on this forum have had that happen. Whether a private CG, or state or federal owned, who picked up your damage claim?

As with Bryan2503S, my carrier provides full replacement value for an identical new unit, not some depreciated number. That's peace of mind, for a monthly cost of less than a good meal out.

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
It's prolly been covered... In Arkansas your TV insurance covers the liability, but the rest is for the comprehensive on the trailer. I would suggest increasing your liability.
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
I have full coverage on my camper. You need to check with your insurance company to make sure what is covered. If your trailer is connected to your TV it is covered through your TV insurance. If it is sitting on your property it may or may not be covered by your homeowners insurance. If your TV was parked on your property and you had no insurance on it and something happen to it would your homeowners insurance cover it, nope. As far as the campground covering anything especially state parks good luck. If someone steals your camper or damages it some how, when it is at the campground disconnected from your TV, that is what the insurance is for. If a tree falls on your camper due to high winds at a campground they will not cover it unless you can prove neglect, an old dead tree that they knew was an issue and they did nothing about it. You have an investment make sure it is insured.
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Carknocker Family
We have replacement on ours. Matter of fact the bank asked for the insurance policy and that they be listed as a lien holder. For right over a hundred bucks a year, I think its worth it.

Nights camped 2014...26
Nights camped 2015...20
Nights camped 2016...20
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 6 speed manual
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote