Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #1

type of insurance

less than 3 wks until we take delivery of our new sierra 366fl and trying to get everything in order. we need input on insurance for the 5th wheel. it will be dropped on a seasonal site and probably not move from there until the kids put us in a "home", hopefully a long time from now. we will not have a vehicle to move it, so some insurance companies don't want to insure. we want coverage for exterior damage (tree falling on roof), interior damage (water/fire) and liability (slip and fall, etc). thoughts and comments appreciated
mary4755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #2

i just insured a 27' toyhauler i'm taking delivery of soon through liberty mutual.. i have auto insurance with them but they never asked if i had a tow vehicle or not. $73 yr for $250 deductable and $100 for $100 deductable. They won't insure any personal contents, they say that is "homeowners".. They are getting back to me about the built in generator but they are pretty sure that is NOT covered, again.. need to claim on my homeowners.
I'm sure others with actual experience will post too.
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #3

liberty mutual got back today.. the permanent type generator IS covered
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

If you have a loan on the RV, I would be sure that you have replacement cost on the RV. There are a number of RV owners who added their RV to an auto policy, the RV was involved in an accident and declared a total loss and the insurance company only paid ACV which was a good bit less then what they owed on the RV.
If you insure with a company who has RV insurance you can get replacement cost for the first five years. I insure with Good Sam (GMAC) but it is about $200 per year.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #5

Try progressive. They will give you replacement cost, contents, liability, etc.....just like a mini homeowners policy. Cost was reasonable.
tanner857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #6

Leave progressive ALONE. I had two claims. They paid NOTHING. They spent more time finding a reason not to pay.
JlpLhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #7

I have Progressive never had a problem with claims so far. I like the coverage options they have, it seems like they sell a policy for RVs unlike just going with your homeowners to cover everything. You can get contents coverage, liability coverage and of course physical damage to the RV.

The only thing I don't like about a company saying coverage is provided under your homeowners would be that you would have to pay 2 deductibles that way, 1 on the trailer policy then 1 on the homeowners policy also I'd be careful of that situation.

Be curious to know more about why others had their claims denied. I suspect it would be related to not buying coverage for the situation that was being claimed?
lriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lriel View Post
I have Progressive never had a problem with claims so far. I like the coverage options they have, it seems like they sell a policy for RVs unlike just going with your homeowners to cover everything. You can get contents coverage, liability coverage and of course physical damage to the RV.

The only thing I don't like about a company saying coverage is provided under your homeowners would be that you would have to pay 2 deductibles that way, 1 on the trailer policy then 1 on the homeowners policy also I'd be careful of that situation.

Be curious to know more about why others had their claims denied. I suspect it would be related to not buying coverage for the situation that was being claimed?
Why would two deductable be paid under one claim? Wouldn't coverage fall under one policy or the other but not both?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #9

Say a tree falls on the camper, the damage from the tree would be covered by the policy you bought for damage to the camper. If you own a policy where the company says the contents, liability etc. are covered by your homeowners you would then file a claim for the damaged contents under your homeowners. If you are like me I have a $100 deductible on the camper and $1000 deductible on my homeowners, so the Insurance company says you pay $100 on the actual damage to the camper and then because you want to claim damage to the contents that are covered under homeowners you will pay $1000 deductible for that claim. Another example would be you have camper coverage with ABC Insurance and homeowners with DEF Insurance both will want their deductible...

Trust me the Insurance company will treat this as two different claims because you are using two different policies. I could be wrong but I bet if you ask the company they will tell you the same thing. That was something I asked about specifically when the agent tried to get me to cover my camper that way. I went with the policy from Progressive because it covered everything under one policy. For the cost to cover my camper somewhere around 240 a year I wasn't going to take the chance of paying the homeowners deductible and the camper deductible if a claim ever came up.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Site Team

According to my Allstate agent my TT is covered under the homeowner policy when the trailer is not in use (parked at home or at storage). While camping my TT is covered under the RV policy. Currently I'm a little fuzzy about towing but I have Allstate for everything.

I was surprised that the homeowner coverage would come into play being that I am paying for an RV policy with a $50 deductable vs the $1,000 deductable on the homeowner policy.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #11

I found that most insurance companies without a specialized camper policy used your homeowners to cover contents. A little known fact that I discovered during all this is that my homeowners (and I'd assume yours also) covers my stuff anywhere I go in the world. Stuff being the stuff I have with me. I'd be careful with any policy that doesn't cover everything you have and relies on any other policy to cover things if there is a claim it would mean two of everything! Two claims people two deductibles twice the headache! It's just too easy to use a company that does it all in one policy and for me it wasn't very expensive.

I'd check that Allstate coverage a little closer by calling the company not the agent. Agents often confuse things or coverages the company won't. In my experience homeowners coverage has never covered a vehicle or camper whether it was at home or not. I have been told and read my policy that no vehicles other than one used to "service" my property are covered for physical damage. Good luck all!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #12

Another vote for Progressive they really add a lot of benefits into their Rv policies that are specific to rvers. We had our first claim last year on our 1997 holiday from a blown tire that damaged the camper and there was no question about coverage. To even over complicate matters we had already accepted a trade in value on the Rv but according to our agent our trade value was affected by the damage which entitled us to a monetary reimbursement. He documented the damage and we were cut a check in the amount of the repairs needed to help offset the loss of trade in value. So no complaints here for progressive.
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
According to my Allstate agent my TT is covered under the homeowner policy when the trailer is not in use (parked at home or at storage). While camping my TT is covered under the RV policy. Currently I'm a little fuzzy about towing but I have Allstate for everything.

I was surprised that the homeowner coverage would come into play being that I am paying for an RV policy with a $50 deductable vs the $1,000 deductable on the homeowner policy.
I think your agent may be a little confused. I've never heard of any home policy that will cover physical damage to any rv ever. Your home policy will cover your belongings that are in the rv (usually up to 10% of homeowners policy limit) but i suggest you increase the contents coverage on the rv policy if need be. If there a situation where you need to file a claim to have rv repaired and to replace contents, you will have to pay 2 deductibles if you do not have contents coverage on the rv. 1 deductible on the rv policy for the damage, and 1 deductible on homeowners for the contents.
I see so many conflicting things that people are being told by agents concerning their rv policy. If its a towable rv, the policy will cover physical damage through comprehensive and collision coverage just like you carry on auto insurance, if you choose those coverages. There is no liability coverage on a towable rv policy. The liability comes from the vehicle that is towing the camper or your homeowners policy if it is parked. If you seasonal camp and your rv never moves it may not qualify for an rv policy any longer. You may need to look into a mobile home policy. That just depends in how each company defines a permanently parked rv.
Motorhome insurance is just like a car policy since its a motorized vehicle. It will have liability, medical, comp/collision, uninsured/underinsured motorist medical, and endorsements for contents coverage.
I am not claiming that all companies policies are exactly the same. There very well may be some specialized policy out there, but the description of the policies above are written by most common carriers in every state.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #14

Got my fifth wheel and tow vehicle insured though Good Sam. Reasonable. RCV on fifth wheel. One deductible if both in same accident.
JlpLhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner857 View Post
Try progressive. They will give you replacement cost, contents, liability, etc.....just like a mini homeowners policy. Cost was reasonable.

Progressive wont insure an rv that is seasonal.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Paul & Sheri

Here's one I'll bet you didn't know. I have both my truck and camper insured with State Farm. I also have them both financed through State Farm too at rates that were better than most. 2.5% for truck and 4.5% for camper. I pay about $250/year for camper insurance. My homeowners won't cover anything when it's off the property, if a tree fell on it at a campsite for example.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
One Happy Camper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Progressive wont insure an rv that is seasonal.
I think this depends. I have progressive and had it on a previous seasonal unit I had. They said as long as it still has the wheels and is not permanently hooked to utilities they will cover it. It might be different from state to state.

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
2016 Avenger 26BH

Another Ins Co. to look into is Echelon. Rates were good for us on our new unit a month ago and they have a 10 year no depreciation option which we took advantage of.
Cleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
Here's one I'll bet you didn't know. I have both my truck and camper insured with State Farm. I also have them both financed through State Farm too at rates that were better than most. 2.5% for truck and 4.5% for camper. I pay about $250/year for camper insurance. My homeowners won't cover anything when it's off the property, if a tree fell on it at a campsite for example.
wait - your RV insurance is 250 year? Ours is closer to 900 a year, checked with three different companies. is that some kind of super discount because you have had State Farm since Carter was president?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #20

Seems like 200-400 per year is typical. 900 seems a bit steep. Maybe you have really high liability coverage or a very low deductible.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote