Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #1

USAA(Progressive) vs Good Sam?

Bringing home the new TT this week, bank says it's worth $38k. It will be financed (for much less than $38k)

USAA sent me to Progressive, quote with them, for $38k replacement, is $521/year

Good Sam quote online, for replacement coverage (not a stated $38k replacement) is $315/year.

Progressive includes roadside assistance, Good Sam does not (but I can always buy the GS roadside for $60/70)

Anyone with any experience as to why I have such an extreme difference in the quotes? I haven't been able to see an actual coverage/policy yet for either company. (Progressive said they were emailing one but I don't have it yet)

I don't want to be foolish and just go with GS because it's cheaper if Progressive is offering more coverage? Gah, my current TT is covered on my USAA auto policy.

2009 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2014 33' SOB TT
TheDiGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #2

I went through this when I bought my new bike. I had Progressive on my old bike for around $200/year. The wanted $900/year for my new bike, so I told them where to go. Now here's where it got interesting...I checked with Riders Insurance (underwritten by Progressive,) and Harley Davidson Insurance (also underwritten by Progressive,) and got THREE DIFFERENT NUMBERS. I'll never give Progressive another dime.

But that's just me.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Site Team

Call back USAA and tell them you already have a travel trailer insured with them and are upgrading. USAA does cover travel trailers, but they don't cover motor homes. It is just a matter of getting an agent who doesn't hear the phrase "RV" and immediately blow you off to Progressive. If you get an uncooperative agent escalate your call to a supervisor.

I've found the USAA / Progressive "partnership" for motorcycles and "RV's" is a great deal for Progressive, but not so good for USAA customers...
Old 06-15-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Call back USAA and tell them you already have a travel trailer insured with them and are upgrading. USAA does cover travel trailers, but they don't cover motor homes. It is just a matter of getting an agent who doesn't hear the phrase "RV" and immediately blow you off to Progressive. If you get an uncooperative agent escalate your call to a supervisor.

I've found the USAA / Progressive "partnership" for motorcycles and "RV's" is a great deal for Progressive, but not so good for USAA customers...
That's exactly what I did this morning Red. They have no problem covering the new TT since I also have my other vehicles insured with them (from what the agent said, they send RVs out to Progressive if that's the ONLY thing you have insured with USAA)

Anyway, USAA was in line with what Good Sam quoted, BUT...they do not offered replacement coverage, only fair market value. I'm concerned I could be upside down at some point on my loan...but they don't offer GAP for RV loans.

Loan rep is trying to talk us into financing my van (2013 I paid cash for) and using the money from that to pay off the RV, since I CAN get GAP for the van, plus the interest rate is lower on cars than RVs. DH is a bit reluctant, so we're still deciding what to do.

Either way, I'm guessing we will stick with the USAA coverage, it just seems to make sense to keep all our coverage together, as I can't imagine the nightmare of who would pay what should we be in an accident. (USAA writes ALL my coverage, cars, home, etc)

2014 33' SOB TT
Old 06-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting. I had my tt insured through USAA. When I sold it and bought the fiver, USAA farmed me out to progressive saying they no longer insure these. They are more than happy to insure my 2 vehicles.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Interesting. I had my tt insured through USAA. When I sold it and bought the fiver, USAA farmed me out to progressive saying they no longer insure these. They are more than happy to insure my 2 vehicles.
Strange! USAA didn't hesitate to insure my 5er in March. But, like others have said, motorcycle coverage was farmed to progressive..

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
When I tell the automated system I'm calling about RV insurance, it xfers me straight to Progressive. I called today tho, and told it AUTO insurance, because I wanted to know what was up with Progressive's quote, and the lady said that sometimes agents are sending people to Progressive automatically, but if you have your vehicles with USAA, they will cover TT, too. (I took that to mean they will NOT cover motorhomes.)

But, just be aware, like with Progressive, I could tell them I want the new TT insured for $40k, but USAA only offers fair market value. Good Sam's replacement coverage confuses me. Since I've only dealt with GEICO and USAA, I'm a bit reluctant to take a chance with another company. I am, tho, concerned about possibly getting upside down while it's financed, so USAA's insurance scares me a *little*

2014 33' SOB TT
Old 06-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We have been USAA members forever...but they told us they didn't insure travel trailers so we had Progressive for a few years.
A few years ago, I compared my Progressive rates with Good Sam and, for the same coverage, Good Sam was far cheaper...so we've been with Good Sam (I think it's also called National General) But we do have the Good Sam emergency roadside assistance. (The mid-grade level...probably go to the high-end when we're retired and doing a lot more traveling.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

Good Sam is an RV company/club and they know RVs. Replacement cost will give you and new RV for the first five years that you have the RV. When you add an RV to an auto policy, if it is totaled, you will get actual cash value. You may owe much more then that if it is financed.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #10

Have had two TT insured with USAA with no problems.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #11

just went through a TOTAL LOSS 0n 5er and $8000 damage to truck with USAA--------5er was insured on auto policy along with the truck..........60mph crosswind gust popped the 5er off , flipped on it's side in the median.........You have to pay deductibles , no it is not an act of God , you will only get $200 for contents , you will NOT get anything for relocating your property(ie; U-haul trailer) You will not get any reimbursement for lodging while being displaced while cleaning out your personal belongings. You will be sent to a 3rd party adjuster , as USAA does not adjust their own RV claims , I had to deal with 3 adjusters with the 3rd party , 5 different "adjusters" at USAA , then finally a total loss adjuster ! Since we are from Florida and accident was in South Dakota , we were literally "homeless" and far from home and on your own , it took approx. 30 days to settle the RV claim and get a new one , then had to deal with getting the truck fixed.
Been with USAA for 35 years---------am I happy? Hmmmmmmmm, Not so much.
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #12

I went through Good Sam and my policy is underwritten by the Allied division of Nationwide Insurance. GS may use someone else for 5th wheels/trailers but I found their price on Class A insurance was better than everyone else that I got quotes from and benefits were at least equal to all of them. (Allstate, Progressive, Geico)
Have had no opportunity to use the policy...but I don't expect any issues if I do have a claim with Nationwide behind it.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 PM   #13

Before signing for any insurance, call an insurance broker. Compare the quotes they give you to the ones you got on your own. Since the broker doesn't actually sell insurance, you can usually be pretty sure they are getting you the best coverage at a good price. Our broker hooked us up with Progressive, and if I recall correctly, it saved us about $100 a year on our toy hauler last year.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #14

I just switched to progressive today from american family. AF did not offer total replacement. I received quotes from good sam. Exact same coverages. Progressive is $120 less a year. If I do not like them I can always switch later.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47chevy View Post
just went through a TOTAL LOSS 0n 5er and $8000 damage to truck with USAA--------5er was insured on auto policy along with the truck..........60mph crosswind gust popped the 5er off , flipped on it's side in the median.........You have to pay deductibles , no it is not an act of God , you will only get $200 for contents , you will NOT get anything for relocating your property(ie; U-haul trailer) You will not get any reimbursement for lodging while being displaced while cleaning out your personal belongings. You will be sent to a 3rd party adjuster , as USAA does not adjust their own RV claims , I had to deal with 3 adjusters with the 3rd party , 5 different "adjusters" at USAA , then finally a total loss adjuster ! Since we are from Florida and accident was in South Dakota , we were literally "homeless" and far from home and on your own , it took approx. 30 days to settle the RV claim and get a new one , then had to deal with getting the truck fixed.
Been with USAA for 35 years---------am I happy? Hmmmmmmmm, Not so much.
Spike, this is EXACTLY what I wanted to know, thank you!!!! Guess I'll be giving Good Sam a call in the morning! (Just a side note, have some family in the Wewa area, most is in Vernon/Chipley!)

2014 33' SOB TT
Old 06-17-2015, 03:44 AM   #16

We had a Rockwood Popup that got totaled last Labor Day weekend. We were out of town at a family wedding and the pop up was roadside at home. A drunk driver came thru our neighborhood and completely demolished the trailer. Luckily no one was hurt. We have USAA, and had Progressive as our RV Insurance for the pop up with Total Loss Replacement.

The Drunk Driver also had Progressive and it seemed to make the process go faster. Within 2 weeks we had a check for the entire purchase price of the pop up less our deductible due to the driver not having enough property damage liability. Progressive went after him for our deductible and sent us a check for that when he paid as well. Since the original claim had been under our policy, we also were also to submit for our contents in addition.

All in all, I was very impressed with the prompt service from Progressive under USAA and I won't hesitate to use them again when we purchase our upcoming 5ver.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #17

I wouldn't purchase from Progressive and support George Soros.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:33 PM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
We have USAA, Had no problem getting our 5er insured with them, we have had our home and car
insured for a number of years.

My DW and I were involved in a accident last year,
totaled are car do to the fault of the other driver
who pulled in front of us. USAA has handled
everything with just two adjuster's, they have been very good to us and continue to support us
after a year and a half while we fight thought
doctors appointments and mending.

We did not get total replacement value but did get the high
end of blue book which I was happy with and
enough to put ninety percent down on a new car.
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #19

18 months ago, we had some water damage to our Stealth toy hauler that wasn't (but should have been) covered by our Cornerstone extended warranty. Progressive paid for everything except the deductible, and then went after Cornerstone to recover on the claim. After 12 months, they had to give up on those efforts, but we were really impressed with how long and how hard they tried to recover the money. Our learning was to never use Cornerstone again, and we went with Progressive when we bought the MH and sold the TH.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #20

I'm a USAA member and bought a travel trailer in April. USAA added to my policy with no problem.
srderby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam