Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 11:01 AM   #41
Retired

Click image for larger version

Name:	o-MOOSE-facebook.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	100279
Name:   Unknown.jpeg
Views: 247
Size:  7.3 KB
A cattle guard...brush guard ain't going to help with this guy.
Haven't been to Alaska yet but in Maine the moose are on the roads night or day particularly during black fly, mosquito, deer fly, green-head season.
Now this is a "moose guard"

Name:   Unknown-1.jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  12.1 KB
or a smaller version for your TV
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck81.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	100280

Happy Trails
Old 02-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #42

I've driven the Alcan several times in all seasons. How far north you are driving will determine priorities. There's not much left of the Alcan that's not paved. If you plan on driving the "haul road" north of Fairbanks, you will need a new windshield more often than a cattle gaurd/push bar. The haul road is 4 lanes wide in some areas and the semis drive 60-75 mph on those gravel roads. You can often see the dust trails from miles away and you learn to simply pull over and let them and the rocks they kick up pass by. I worked the Pipeline for many years and we replaced windshields on company trucks monthly.

Someday I hope to take my family north to AK. I hope you have fun as it's a great part of America and lots to see! Be sure and buy the Milepost publication. You can plan your trip from it!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #43
JudiVan n Gus

Thumbs up Deer Whistles

If I were you I would put on a pair of deer whistles on the front of your truck. They are about $5.00 for the pair. I have them on my truck and I live on the Central Coast of Ca. and I can tell you that we have deer that like to cross the highways and back roads... these whistles work, I have watched what they (deer) do as I come up on them, they stand still because they can't figure out where the sound is coming from.
Good Luck and happy Travels
judivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #44

Thought I would give an update. I hit a large mature deer at 65mph 2 weeks ago. Never got a chance to hit the brakes. Truck was fine, not even a dent in the bumper. Just hair and deer pieces all over. Drove away with zero problems other than a few hours washing the truck.
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat