Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #1

Vibe versus Salem: which to buy?

I'm in a quandary. We are looking to buy an RV and have narrowed it down to 2 models - Salem 26TBD or the Vibe Extreme Lite 243BHS. The Salem is attractive to us because of the layout. It is also $4,000 less than the Vibe. What is the best value for the money? From a quality of build standpoint, how do these two units compare?
Crbacsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crbacsw View Post
I'm in a quandary. We are looking to buy an RV and have narrowed it down to 2 models - Salem 26TBD or the Vibe Extreme Lite 243BHS. The Salem is attractive to us because of the layout. It is also $4,000 less than the Vibe. What is the best value for the money? From a quality of build standpoint, how do these two units compare?
The correct answer to this question is always which one does your significant other like the best.

That's the one you should buy,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
The correct answer to this question is always which one does your significant other like the best.

That's the one you should buy,
Sounds like the voice of experience! .
She is as confused as I. We aren't sure which way to go.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Site Team

What are you going to use as a tow vehicle?

I like the openness of the Salem and also the bigger slide. It has a tiny bit more CCC than the Vibe. It has a significantly higher tongue weight.

The Salem has a GVWR of 7815 Lbs,
The Vibe has a GVWR of 6899 Lbs.

Since you have picked bunk house models, I assume that there's more than two of you going to be using the unit. The Salem has three bunks though they're smaller than the two in the vibe. If the extra people you plan on taking with you are couples, the Vibe is better suited for that.

I've owned several different RV's and honestly they're all about the same in build quality.

Given the $4,000 difference, if it's children you'll have with you, I'd personally go with the Salem.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
What are you going to use as a tow vehicle?

I like the openness of the Salem and also the bigger slide. It has a tiny bit more CCC than the Vibe. It has a significantly higher tongue weight.

The Salem has a GVWR of 7815 Lbs,
The Vibe has a GVWR of 6899 Lbs.

Since you have picked bunk house models, I assume that there's more than two of you going to be using the unit. The Salem has three bunks though they're smaller than the two in the vibe. If the extra people you plan on taking with you are couples, the Vibe is better suited for that.

I've owned several different RV's and honestly they're all about the same in build quality.

Given the $4,000 difference, if it's children you'll have with you, I'd personally go with the Salem.
I have Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab with a 5.7L multi displacement Hemi. I'm good for 8000 lbs. plus. Thanks for the thoughtful response. My concern was that the construction of one was sub par in comparison to the other.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

My mistake. The truck is good for 10,000 lbs.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:00 AM   #7
I go RV'ing not Camping

I have a Wildwood Heritage Glen which is the sister company to a Salem so i am partial to my brand of course. I must say we are very happy with our Heritage Glen.

I have never been in a Vibe so I can't comment on quality, but I would say they are probably about the same.

Here is my other $.02 worth of experience and it may throw you off....buy your dream trailer first, if there is a different model that is bigger or a floor plan that you like in a larger trailer get it.

Don't buy a trailer that you are compromising on something, because after awhile it's going to bother you and you will be trading in your trailer for one without compromises.

You can refer to my thread "3 Trailers in 2 Years" for more info

If it truly is between those 2 trailers the vibe looks like the better choice to me...More carrying capacity in water/holding tanks and it is a little bit bigger trailer. I am also partial to a fibreglass trailer as we get Hail in my part of the country and the aluminum sided trailers get dented easily. The Fiberglass is a big part of the price difference as well as the Vibe is the bit bigger trailer. Also I believe that you can get an outside kitchen on the vibe model (that was our #1 want in our trailer)

Hope that helps,
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

I have had both no more Salem for me. The seats hurt my back. Vide doesn't.
Allenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Vibe is a higher level brand than the Salem.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #10

We have a Salem Hemisphere and love it. Look at all the amenities and the space layout and go with the one that suits you best. Kitchen, bath, privacy for mom and dad, etc. We got the Vibe recliners in our Hemisphere, which are very comfortable.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #11
Tom

Vibe may be a higher level to the Salem but not to the Salem Hemisphere which is the same as the Wildwood Heritage Glen.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #12

this is true another word of advise from a guy who has bought 3 TT in 2 years get what you want and don't settle it only costs more in the long run
Allenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem, vibe