Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Wal Mart and Camper Stuff

Went to the NEW Wal Mart here in town yesterday and picked up a 25 ft. 30 Amp extension cord for $42.00. That's $2.00 cheaper than Camping World members price, and 40 miles closer home. They also had sewer hose and connections, rv toilet paper, pressure regulators, water hose, and other stuff. Prices seemed close to Camping World prices. I don't remember the other Wal Mart in town carrying this stuff, but you might want to check the one near you.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

As far as I know every Walmart has an RV Accessories area, some larger than others. We bought out Lynx Levelers and wheel chocks there, way cheaper than CW or any other place to think of it. Toilet chemicals, sewer hose kits and water hoses etc are all available. I would recommend any beginner or veteran to look there first before going anywhere else. The money saved can be used to buy some other necessary things. In the automotive area they have every replacement bulb needed as well.

W A L M A R T

The camper's friend, they even let you stay in their parking lots provided there's no city ordinance against it.

The Super-Walmarts have everything you could possibly need. I don't remember any week long camping trips when we didn't end up going there for something.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #3

That's where I buy all of my chemicals for the camper and I bought a battery for the camper there last Spring, they have your standard needs for camping at a good price even back up cameras in the automotive section.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

They also have a lot of money saving stuff for the creative shopper.

I got a small indoor/outdoor thermometer for $1. Stuck it in the fridge. The $3.50 catalog model I had fell apart! We got linens, kitchen stuff, all that either came out of our own house, yard sale, Walmart or the Dollar Store. Often, Walmart beats the Dollar Store.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #5

When ever we are on the road we always try and find the Walmart, it's kinda like the Mcdonalds of the department store world, you always know what your gonna find. Saves a lot of time driving all around a strange town looking for several different stores to get what you need. I have seen RV stuff at every one, just like others have stated. It's also a lot closer to us than the Camping World.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Yep i bought my 30 amp extension and 50ft. of fresh water hose from Wal-mart. much cheaper than CW.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
When ever we are on the road we always try and find the Walmart, it's kinda like the Mcdonalds of the department store world, you always know what your gonna find. Saves a lot of time driving all around a strange town looking for several different stores to get what you need. I have seen RV stuff at every one, just like others have stated. It's also a lot closer to us than the Camping World.

That's when a GPS comes in handy, I have used it many times in PA and at Myrtle Beach last year. Walmart is listed under General Merchandise Store on my GPS. ( Garmin 750 )
Old 03-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We use CoPilot on the laptop. Version #11 added every Walmart in the country to Points of Interest.
Usually if you ask at the Campground Office, they know where everyone is that's nearby. We stayed at a campground near Scranton PA a few years ago and asked where the nearest Walmart is. The owner's reply was which one would you like to go to, We Have 3 all within 15 miles. 2 Super, 1 Regular.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
We use CoPilot on the laptop. Version #11 added every Walmart in the country to Points of Interest.
Usually if you ask at the Campground Office, they know where everyone is that's nearby. We stayed at a campground near Scranton PA a few years ago and asked where the nearest Walmart is. The owner's reply was which one would you like to go to, We Have 3 all within 15 miles. 2 Super, 1 Regular.

Funny that you mention Scranton PA, We were there all day yesterday at University of Scranton for my daughters college lacross game. They played againest Marywood. Walmart seemed to be everywhere in the area that and Super K-Mart.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Trailer Life Newbie

Thanks for this thread! I was at WM today in the camping section and never even thought to look in the automotive department for camper/trailer stuff. D'oh!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
Site Team

They also have hitch balls and hitch locks and other
hitch related stuff in the sporting goods/boating isle.
Also battery boxes if you're adding a 2nd battery.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #12

Not a Walmart shopper. None within many miles. Only out in RV twice and we have made 4 trips to Walmart for RV stuff. Camping World is very competitive and has a much larger selection and sales people who know the product.

Big bird
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #13

Wal Mart is the campers friend... Wal Mart even has a free app for the iPhone now.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
Knower of Some Things

When the weather is bad, I always go to Wal Mart. No other time, though. Great entertainment. My dealer, All Seasons RV (Muskegon) knows way more than anyone in the camping section at Wal Mart, provided anyone is even in that department. Their prices might be higher, but the advice I get is more valuable in the long run. Call me old fashioned.
BTW, this is why I like going to Wal Mart.
www.peopleofwalmart.com
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #15

PumaPro, loved the link. Before I retired I use to stop in Walmart Bellmead Texas at 3 am. I have seen these people there!!. It is worth the stop just to people watch. I also love Walmart for all the cheap Chinese crap they have brought us. But hey, it is cheaper than anyone else's cheap Chinese crap, which seems to be all we can buy anymore.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
Fulltimer

Send a message via Yahoo to StonewallGene
We use the Wal-Mart Atlas to plot our course. If you get thier Atlas it will tell you which ones have fuel and we have found they have the cheapest price on Diesel by far. But we have also found that some of the store don't have RV supplies not many but some.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #17

Stopped by a Walmart last Saturday to pick up some toys for the grand children and made a point of going to the automotive section. Had a small rv section but a nice variety of things. Don't need to pay camping world prices for holding tank chemicals, sewer hose, hose clamps when WM is closer and no big shipping charges. Don't need any advice to buy items like these.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #18

Walmart does carry a variety of camping gear at good prices but you still need to be carefull. I bought a extended handle brush for washing the tt last month. I first grabbed one from the camping/rv section. As I went to go check out I walked through the automotive section and saw the exact same brush, same packaging, for about $2.50 less! Needless to say I put the one back and grabbed the cheaper priced one.

A friend told me that he once saw a special isle display, can't remember the product it was a few years back, but Walmart had a sale sign that stated 2 for $5.00. He went to the section were that item is usually stocked and found them for $2.00 each!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #19
Site Team

If it was the EXACT same brush it would have had the same
bar code and the same price at checkout.

OTOH, I walked into WallyWorld last fall to get some RV antifreeze.
They had an end of the isle display of prestone RV antifreeze.
It was a Buck and a half more than the generic pink stuff
back on the RV isle.
Both say rated 50 below so I see no gain in paying more for the
name brand.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
If it was the EXACT same brush it would have had the same
bar code and the same price at checkout.

OTOH, I walked into WallyWorld last fall to get some RV antifreeze.
They had an end of the isle display of prestone RV antifreeze.
It was a Buck and a half more than the generic pink stuff
back on the RV isle.
Both say rated 50 below so I see no gain in paying more for the
name brand.
KyDan I'm sure your right. Probably did have the same bar code. I was just going by the price that was on the hanger. The one in the RV section was $17.?? and the one in the car section was $15.??. I was charged the $15.?? at checkout. Next time I go back I'll check the other one out on their scanner.

Since my wife was with me I didn't think too much about it. I just put the higher price one back, got the lower price one and now she thinks that all her "shopping instructions" are finally sinking in!

I wouldn't be surprised if both of those Rv antifreezes aren't made at the same factory.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote