Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #21

Quote:
There is a brand new 2015 292BHDS in Alabama for $24k so $19k in Canada is a decent price IMO. $29.5k is definitely too high for that trailer used
lol, they want $38,500 for a new one at the same dealer. I'll give these guys a shot. Someone is going to sell me one eventually. Thanks for your feedback btw!
huntnrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #22
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnrig View Post
lol, they want $38,500 for a new one at the same dealer. I'll give these guys a shot. Someone is going to sell me one eventually. Thanks for your feedback btw!

You're right, someone will make a deal. Just be patient, we looked at probably 50 trailers before we bought ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

The key is to have a firm lower offer in writing from a dealership that is close enough for the dealership you want to deal with to know you will go get that trailer. Then allow the closer dealer the difference in cost for you to go get that tt and bring it home. Also pay attention to different options. If the more expensive one has more options on it, then allow him a fair price for those options (a little over the seedealercost price for those items. This trick worked well for us with our Sabre. We had a firm approved offer in writing from a dealership 3-4 hrs away. Our local dealership initially said we can't do it so we started for the door. We didn't make it past the row of desks before the manager caved saying he'd rather have a smaller piece of the pie than no pie at all. Good luck. Oh and you may want yo check out rv wholesalers. Do a search for them on here, they have a good rep on this forum and are willing to ship trailers (I'm not sure if they ship to Canada though).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:47 AM   #24

Quote:
The key is to have a firm lower offer in writing from a dealership that is close enough for the dealership you want to deal with to know you will go get that trailer.
That is one of the problems with the market I am shopping in. I'm in BC. On Vancouver Island. I'm limited to tiny handful of larg(ish) dealers and then dozens of little ma and pa outfits that are scattered about. Finding two dealers with the same trailer here is difficult. To do this we need to travel to the mainland via a ferry (Vancouver) which is about $70 one way (without a trailer) about $200 one-way with a trailer. It eats an entire day... so much dealing online.

Ideally I can get this thing locally (on the island) for service considerations but refuse to pay some crazy inflated dealers retail price. I have my money down and my total amount I would like to finance after all fees and that is it.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #25

Well... That didn't work out too well. The salesperson said my offer of $21500 including tax was insulting, lol. His counter was $28,500 + Tax.

The sad part is I actually liked that one and they were local to the Island.

Pros:

- floor plan we want
- within our safe tow limits
- located on the island
- 2013 (fairly new)
- 3 month 50/50 warranty from dealer (not really a pro but it's something)
- 4 bunks in rear
- big u shaped dinette table
- lots of storage and cupboard space

Cons:

- I think he's asking too much.
- It's the only one I can find within acceptable travel distance.
- It only has 3 months of dealer warranty. Nothing from factory.

Maybe I am looking at too much trailer or Maybe I should go back with my tail between my legs and offer $22,000 + Tax? That would be the top of the mark for me. Or... Wait.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Waiting is decent option as well. We first locked in which dealer we wanted to deal with. Then I gave him my specs:

- Within my tow limits
- Beds the toddlers don't fall out of
- No hybrids
- My budget (Ok, maybe I shaved a little there)

We started dealing with him in August, it took until the following April before he came through for us with our Flagstaff 29QBSS (Which by the way would probably fit your specs).

There's a lot to be said about sticking with a local dealer, especially in your case being on the island. If you don't by local you're going to have to eat about $400 in ferry charges (200 there, 200 back) every time you want any service done. As long as you're patient and you've got a good dealer, something will come your way.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #27

Quote:
We started dealing with him in August, it took until the following April before he came through for us with our Flagstaff 29QBSS (Which by the way would probably fit your specs).

There's a lot to be said about sticking with a local dealer, especially in your case being on the island. If you don't by local you're going to have to eat about $400 in ferry charges (200 there, 200 back) every time you want any service done. As long as you're patient and you've got a good dealer, something will come your way.
A unit like yours would definitely fit the bill but there isn't any around here. I would love to stick with a local dealer but not when they see a giant $ sign walking around their lot.

I did cave and emailed the salesman explaining the justification for my offer, what else I can buy for the same or less etc.. I acknowledged the higher quality of his trailer and said it would be worth $4000 more than the Salem Cruise Lite I am looking at and upped my offer to $22,000 + Tax. That's $3000 more than my original offer (12% tax here).

If he can't make money on that and the financing then I have to walk. Bummer.

As for the ferry, I actually calculated it all out and it's actually $300 each way with a trailer of this length, lol. Dammit... I love the Island but sometimes it can create situations like this, where you are marooned.

Tags
bunks, trailer