Old 08-10-2017, 06:58 AM   #1

Warranty issue with new Rockwood

Hello all, we just took delivery of our new 2018 Rockwood last Friday (What an upgraded from our R-Pod 151!). When the dealer was prepping it, they noticed a kinked hose in the fresh tank water system and said they had to fix it before we took delivery. They found it late in the day Thursday, and had us push our pickup time back an hour because of it. When we did the walk through, we didn't really notice anything wrong.

We got her home and camped in the backyard for the night. A few days later, I went to install the water filter cartridge they included, and found the compartment to be wet from a leaky hose fitting (the one they replaced). This is where I started seeing issues; the hose that was used looks to be a fresh water filler hose (it's the same as the one we bought), which is thicker than the 1/2" reinforced vinyl tubing with polyester braid or PEX that would have been there originally. Also in the compartment was a sopping wet rag, a cigarette butt, and there was still some antifreeze in the filter canister.

Moving under the TT, they had slashed part of the tarp like liner along the side of the underbelly to get at the hose, and it was apparent they had lowered part of the underbelly enclosure because they put it back up with assorted hardware. the water tank drain was missing screws, and of the 3 that they had put back in to secure it to the underbelly, none matched, they were all different types of screws and bolts. They also didn't clip the LP line back up, and it was just dangling.

This really just made my wife and I sick to our stomach, I'm no fix it guy, but I would have done a cleaner more professional job while at a campsite, these guys are a larger RV dealer, and part of the Route 66 network! We brought it back, and described the issues, and they said they would fix it.

We picked it back up yesterday and brought it home. I opened the compartment, and they seem to have just tightened the clamp on the hose, rather than switch it out for the proper hose (I could be mistaken in that this is not the correct type of hose to use, the 1/2" water filler hose is much thicker than the 1/2" vinyl tubing used elsewhere, and they are using screw down hose clamps instead of the crimped connectors used elsewhere). They did patch the slashed underbelly, reattach the LP line (by drilling more holes in the frame) and at least made the screws and bolts match a little more, but it still doesn't look "original", they still used a variety of hardware. Finally, as we were unhooking at home, I discovered that the battery box was empty, shame on me for not checking, but I could have swore that they said they were giving us one when they were prepping it.

Anyway, I guess I'm here to get a sanity check. Am I being too picky? I feel like I'm not going to be able to get them to fix it how I want, should I just settle on the way that they fixed an issue they found on our factory new TT before we even took delivery of it? I have pictures if needed.

bitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:39 AM   #2
King of the Road

Sounds like you got a bad dealer or a bad tech. Probably both...

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

1st of all, did the camper have a battery in it when you camped in your yard? I'm wondering if someone stole it while at the dealer for repair. Either way, they OWE you a new battery!!!
Secondly, I'd go look at a brand new camper which is the same model as yours and insist that they use the factory hoses, clamps, etc, that the factory organally used. As long as the screws/bolts that the dealer used are functional I'd be OK, although not particularly happy, with them. Unfortunately, even units from the factory come with mis-matched hardware which is "sad" but that't the nature of the RV industry today.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Sounds like you got a bad dealer or a bad tech. Probably both...
I'm not sure. They admitted that they had too many units going out that week, so maybe they were just rushed. They got us our battery, and thanked us for being understanding.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
1st of all, did the camper have a battery in it when you camped in your yard? I'm wondering if someone stole it while at the dealer for repair. Either way, they OWE you a new battery!!!
Secondly, I'd go look at a brand new camper which is the same model as yours and insist that they use the factory hoses, clamps, etc, that the factory organally used. As long as the screws/bolts that the dealer used are functional I'd be OK, although not particularly happy, with them. Unfortunately, even units from the factory come with mis-matched hardware which is "sad" but that't the nature of the RV industry today.
We never even checked for a battery in the battery box, but they took care of it. We're still not 100% happy with the repairs, but it's functional, were having our first trip in it soon, hopefully it all holds up.

Tags
rockwood, warranty