Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We use both our bathrooms to the fullest extent. That was the main reason we bought a trailer with 2 baths. Although my girls will tend to use the shower house when getting ready, since camping with 4 teen girls, 6yr girl and a wife can be a strain on 1 shower.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #22

I know who used my bathroom and shower last and what they did, I am not a public facility guy, nor is my wife a public facility girl. I even use the trailer bath when I stop in rest areas. Do what I need doing, a snack and drink from the fridge and on my way.

I use mine, that is what I bought it for, if there are problems with it I will fix it and if it needs cleaning I clean it, actually usually before it needs it but atleast I know what was done in it last !!!

To me not using the bath in the trailer makes about as much sense as pitching a tent and sleeping in a sleeping bag by your RV. But to each their own !! I say potato,,, well you know how it goes
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #23

I've paid for a rig with full facilities and I'll bloody well use em... To each their own for sure though. I know has used my facilities and I know who hasn't.

For 6 bucks, spring for the full hookup. For anything less than 3 days though I don't bother connecting anything and just dump on the morning when I leave. We have big enough tanks in the 5'r to last us at least 3 nights without issue.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #24

Thumbs up

We camp mainly in Ontario Provincial Parks. They have potable water filling areas on entry and dump stations on the way out. And clean clean shower houses. DH and I can easily go 1 wk before refilling/dumping. Being retired we have the freedom to avoid the crazy busy times so never have to wait in line. When we travel and end up with full services we tend to operate the same way, just pulling the levers before we leave. It is nice to be able to avoid nasty showers or bathrooms!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
Site Team

On my first outing I was glad to have full hookups especially the sewer. It allowed me to take as long as needed to dump the tanks without the pressure of having other people waiting on me to finish.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #26

We are also new to campers and are going to a park soon with sewer hook-ups. I just want to make sure I'm understanding the comments here. Forgive me if these are obvious questions, though, as we've only been out twice in our beautiful little camper (Vibe). Do we attach the hose and just leave the valves shut? Or, do we just keep the black tank valve closed and the gray water open until the day before leave and then close it allowing it to fill up in order to flush the black tank when we leave? Or, do we not connect the hose, leave both valves closed and the just dump like normal at the site? I'm so glad I happened upon this thread! Love this site!!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wybdgrl View Post
Do we attach the hose and just leave the valves shut? Or, do we just keep the black tank valve closed and the gray water open until the day before leave and then close it allowing it to fill up in order to flush the black tank when we leave? Or, do we not connect the hose, leave both valves closed and the just dump like normal at the site? I'm so glad I happened upon this thread! Love this site!!
It's your preferance, you'll hear both suggestions.

Me, both closed until a tank is near full, reserve some gray to help last day line flush. Line hooked up for convenience.

Why gray closed too... think of all the wonderful surprises that can trek into your open gray tank with that gate not closed (both creature and vapor). It's a personal choice.

And, new campers, do some research and acquire a decent sewer hose, some dealers simply include a flimsy short minimal line to cut expenses.
Wmtire had a nice pic of one earlier in the thread, see
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post434027
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #28

We take the sewer hook up every time for all the reasons stated above.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Always Learning

Quote:
We are also new to campers and are going to a park soon with sewer hook-ups. I just want to make sure I'm understanding the comments here. Forgive me if these are obvious questions, though, as we've only been out twice in our beautiful little camper (Vibe). Do we attach the hose and just leave the valves shut? Or, do we just keep the black tank valve closed and the gray water open until the day before leave and then close it allowing it to fill up in order to flush the black tank when we leave? Or, do we not connect the hose, leave both valves closed and the just dump like normal at the site? I'm so glad I happened upon this thread! Love this site!!
Hose or no hose really depends on how short of a stay, how many showers I have to plan for (for my family, 3 1/2 to 4 showers = full tank) and how lazy I want to be when setting up.

Once I do hook up my hose, I try to keep the gray tank closed. But I'll usually send my daughter out to pull the shower handle because it's gotten full and I almost always forget to either tell her to close it or go close it myself. I am pretty good about making sure that I have 1/2-full gray tank before it's time for dumping, though.

Black tanks *always* stay closed.

My dump/flushing procedure is lengthy. With my 5 tanks, it takes me about an hour. I have 2 sewer outlets, I connect my hoses to a wye that then connects to the site's sewer outlet. The forward sewer connection is for black 1, gray 1 and gray 2. The rear sewer connection is for black 2 and gray 3.
  • Black 1:
    • Run water by standing there and holding foot pedal down until panel shows full
    • Go outside and pull black 1 handle to empty the tank
    • Run black tank flush for 1-2 minutes with valve open
    • Close valve and run black tank flush for 5-6 minutes (SET A TIMER AND DO NOT FORGET!!!)
    • Pull black 1 handle to empty flushed in water - watch water in clear elbow; it'll be mostly brown
    • Close valve and run black tank flush for 4-5 minutes (SET A TIMER AND DO NOT FORGET!!!)
    • Pull black 1 handle to empty flushed in water - watch water in clear elbow; it'll be partially brown & partially clear
    • Close valve and run black tank flush for 3-4 minutes (SET A TIMER AND DO NOT FORGET!!!)
    • Pull black 1 handle to empty flushed in water - watch water in clear elbow; it'll be mostly clear
    • Decide here if another flush is needed based on the ugliness of the water
  • Gray Tank 1
    • Pull gray 1 handle & watch until it stops (2-4 minutes)
  • Gray Tank 2
    • Pull gray 2 handle & watch until it stops (2-4 minutes)
  • *Repeat the process for black 2 and gray 3 using the same steps as above.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #30

One thing I do after dumping the black and grey tanks is flush the sewer hose with lots of fresh water. Even residue gray water in the sewer hose can cause a stink.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post

We've done the geo-method before but never on our recent trailer. If I could find calgon up here in Canada I'd do it more often. Cheap and easy so why not.

Just saying.
Check Home Hardware for Calgon up here in Canada; this is where I found it in NL.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #32

Quote:
We connect our hose and keep valves closed, emptying the gray as necessary. On the day we are leaving we make sure to fill the gray tank and empty only after flushing the black tank.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
We always look for full hookup campgrounds first because of the convenience, small price to pay once you've done it both ways & experience the pros vs cons of each dumping method!
Also, a strong reason for buying a camper was to have our own private bathroom to use, we don't use on-site bathrooms (those days are gone when we tent camped)
X2.. A private shower and toilet is the reason we bought our trailer(s) or we would still be tent camping. We always pay for full hookups when the sites are available. I usually have to dump the gray 2 or 3 times and the black twice on an extended weekend. We take long showers, plenty of water in the black tank and wash the dishes inside.
This is for the wife, myself, 12 & 17 year old boys.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #34

Love this forum and how helpful everyone is!!!
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #35

I agree!

Tags
camping