Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I have purchased new and used. I bought my current trailer new.

Buying new, there is less of a chance of buying a problem, although heaven knows there are plenty of new lemons, too (just search for "lemon" on this site). But, a warranty can be invaluable with a good dealer to advocate on your behalf with the factory when the inevitable goes wrong. This is especially important to someone looking to start the RV lifestyle but can also be useful for a more experienced camper who doesn't have the time to refurbish a used trailer.

Basically the old saw applies - time is money. Many of us work for a living and, personally where I am in my career, the time taken to fix up a trailer is not time well spent. Either I'm taking it from work and income or my family.

Lest we not forget, not all used trailers are sweetheart deals either. Plenty of people have bought someone else's problem child.

Buying new or used comes with its own challenges and I can certainly understand why someone wants to buy new with a warranty. I see that the OP has owned before so he knows what he is doing in looking at new.

Back to our regularly scheduled program

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
carl.net

I figured my comment would ruffle some feathers but was still justified to help shake the OP lose from his current thinking. In the end there are a thousands ways to justify any purchase and many levels of skill and ability. So in any purchase your mileage will vary.

Tekonsha P3 break controller
- 36 ft Monterey cabin cruiser, Stainless blender
Two 4.7 GXi I/O (2 x 320hp = 640hp)
carl.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I have purchased new and used. I bought my current trailer new.

Lest we not forget, not all used trailers are sweetheart deals either. Plenty of people have bought someone else's problem child.
+1 ... I did look for a like new used, but none with the floorplan we wanted were to be had. At the end of the day my wife really wanted a new trailer, if that makes me a loser so be it..

As for the original question, our 2013 Grey Wolf 26RL listed for $28K but was on sale for $18,900.00.....it suits us just fine...

PawPawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #24

i never even considered a used one....i didnt have the time or patience to weed through the candidates and try and determine which were good deals or issue monsters...i felt like i would have to look over a used one even MORE than a new one......and considering what we have to do to THOROUGHLY pdi i new trailer and catch all the "new" mistakes that thought was unacceptable....

and mine MSRP'd for 41k and i walked out the door for 27 and change including tax, title and license and a new hitch.....new trailer that NO ONE had slept or pooped in, and i could inspect it and EXPECT everything to be new....not "LIKE NEW"..... at the end of the day, its a good deal if the buyer feels like he got a good deal.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #25

The more you look the more you'll know real value when you see it. Value = Price + Quality.

We located 1 year barely used TT on Craigs List. Best price we saw new was RVW.

Good luck.... Eventually you will find what meets your needs w/in your budget.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Another Happy Camper who bought a used Roo and inherited someone else's problem. He did everything right and is still wondering what hit him.

I think I figured out my leak.

Not all used campers are problem children, but if MY camper was giving me fits it would be traded on a new one in a heartbeat and not sold to someone I had to look in the eye; but that is just me...

I always figured the dealer ought to know how to inspect my rig/car and it is not may fault if I got more than I should have on the trade. For 3rd party sales I have always believed in "Full Disclosure" and would not sell something to some one I would not use myself without worry. While many of my cars were not perfect, most were sold to friends who knew how well I took care of them and were told exactly what was wrong with them before I did.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #27

We were originally going to buy used but the type we were looking at cost just as much as what we ended up buying new. We paid 17,800 OTD for our Roo 25RS.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #28
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Another Happy Camper who bought a used Roo and inherited someone else's problem. He did everything right and is still wondering what hit him.

I think I figured out my leak.

Not all used campers are problem children, but if MY camper was giving me fits it would be traded on a new one in a heartbeat and not sold to someone I had to look in the eye; but that is just me...

I always figured the dealer ought to know how to inspect my rig/car and it is not may fault if I got more than I should have on the trade. For 3rd party sales I have always believed in "Full Disclosure" and would not sell something to some one I would not use myself without worry. While many of my cars were not perfect, most were sold to friends who knew how well I took care of them and were told exactly what was wrong with them before I did.
Herk,

Not a shot at you. However, you sometimes you forget some people don't have the same budget as you or maybe, haven't been as frugal in preparing for later in life (retirement) as you have. They cant afford the luxury of buying a new TT as readily as maybe your retirement lets you do.

Best Regards,
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Herk,

Not a shot at you. However, you sometimes you forget some people don't have the same budget as you or maybe, haven't been as frugal in preparing for later in life (retirement) as you have. They cant afford the luxury of buying a new TT as readily as maybe your retirement lets you do.

Best Regards,
Taken in the spirit given.

What follows is my honest opinion and presented in as non-confrontational a way as I can.

I am just being pragmatic and did not "forget some people don't have the same budget as" me. Sometimes "economy" in some things like this can be false economy. We are not talking about buying paper towels at the warehouse store to save a few bucks here.

Unless you have lost your home and job and are living in the travel trailer in your uncle's back yard due to circumstance, being overly frugal should not enter into the buying equation. Note: Not talking about paying more that you should here. Search "do your homework" and several other great "how to buy a camper" threads here.

Traveling to vacation by RV is expensive. In addition to maintaining your home while you are away, fuel, campground fees, maintenance, inspections, tires, insurance, etc, far exceed the payment delta between a "good" used camper and a new one in any given year.

Especially since we are living on a fixed income (as you noted) in a world where costs are rising every day, we need to pinch every dollar till they scream just like you do. I for one would prefer to be camping in the trailer with my few left over "enjoy retirement dollars" than worrying about it and programming a significant amount of those dollars to camper upkeep.

Buying a "cheap fix'er upper" only works when you can flip it for a profit.
That whole mind set is out the window now for housing, and it never worked on an asset that depreciated. With the newer lightweight campers, that loss of value is for good reason. Frames are designed with a given life expectancy in mind (similar to the car and appliance industry of the 70's) and will most likely be junk in 10 years due to metal fatigue.

When I was a kid I drove a "beater" (a well used car that "runs") and it left me on the side of the road more once. In those days you could count on someone picking you up if you hung out your thumb. Being left on the side of the road today even ONCE is an expensive proposition and forget about someone stopping (unless it is a serial killer, terrorist, or opportune tow truck operator with a police scanner and an eye for taking your money).
Lou

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #30

Well said Herk.

I'd just add that expensive is not always better. You can get screwed pretty easily with a $300k coach as with a $300 used popup. A$5 grand difference in price may not give you any more quality or features - you may just be seeing difference in margins that different dealers will accept.

The key is have a sharp eye for quality and educate yourself so you can recognize a bargain. Buying an RV is hard work. Especially if your not the handy type and can deal with issues.

If I was good at fixing things, and had the time, it'd surely buy used and put many fewer dollars at risk. But alas, my time is better spent working.

Another thing I'd suggest is protecting your investment. Part of the cost of RVing is storage and protection of your camper. No matter how cheap an RV you have, you'll spend less time dealing with wear and water issues if you can store under cover or out of the weather. You can have a very nice all-weather cover made for just a few hundred dollars.

Another thing to consider is renting.. If you only will do a couple trips a year, or are unsure if camping with appeal to your family, then renting an RV may be a less costly option for you. Also, you can change up your RV or size up as family requirements dictate.

Whatever you do, RVing should be about fun and memories, not maintenance, work, money and arguments. Good luck!