Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Member
 
Rsharrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 57
After doing our due diligence, we have placed a down payment on a 8289WS from Wana RV in Indiana. Base price was $31,479 for our Diamond package. We figure that even factoring in taxes and license fees and our round trip costs from Calif, we will still save about $3,500. We also get a nice road trip, visit a part of the country we've not seen, and see the factory where our new baby was born. So far our contact with Gary Miller at Wana RV has been very positive. We pick it up July 5th. A side note: our local Forest River dealer, RV Travel World of Sacramento, wasn't happy with our doing business out of state and told us he will not do any warranty work for us. I'll follow up with our impressions of Wana RV and our new rig later.
__________________

__________________
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
After doing our due diligence, we have placed a down payment on a 8289WS from Wana RV in Indiana. Base price was $31,479 for our Diamond package. We figure that even factoring in taxes and license fees and our round trip costs from Calif, we will still save about $3,500. We also get a nice road trip, visit a part of the country we've not seen, and see the factory where our new baby was born. So far our contact with Gary Miller at Wana RV has been very positive. We pick it up July 5th. A side note: our local Forest River dealer, RV Travel World of Sacramento, wasn't happy with our doing business out of state and told us he will not do any warranty work for us. I'll follow up with our impressions of Wana RV and our new rig later.
Very smart move like I said the tax's in Calif. will kill you. Besides if travel world will not do warranty work , all you have do do is call FR. That is a great deal on a diamond package. Congrats on you purchase and choice. When you pick it up tell them to engage the revolution you will love it even if you have a full size bed. You will not loose any space in the back end of your TV. By the way what are you going to tow it with? just being noise.......... and welcome to our family !!!!!
__________________

__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Member
 
Rsharrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 57
Thanks. We're excited about the trip and the new rig. Anxious. We have a 1999 Ford F250 4X4 7.3 diesel long bed to tow it with. Never towed/backed a 5er. Had my neighbor down to explain the hitch to me! So don't know anything about the revolution? Although I've towed three different tow trailers in the last 25 years I think I'll find a very large parking lot to practice backing this thing.

Haven't dodged the taxes. Will pay 7% sales tax in Indiana and then, I believe, pay the difference in California when I license it here.

Just checked and Camping World handles Forest River warranty work. Means I will have to drive about 30 miles further than if the local jerk would do the work.

Oh, in preparing for this 5000 mile trip I have been getting the truck ready with oil changes etc. Took it in to have the tranny serviced and they found a lot of clutch material in the pan. Going to keep the truck for a few years yet and so will be paying for a $4000 Ford rebuilt trans (3 year, 100,000 mile Ford warranty). This just keeps getting more and more expensive! :-)
__________________
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,615
If you look on you tube, I think under Reese Revolution hitch, they will explane how it works, it will set your pivot point back 22" is how you get your TV bed back. Hell register your unit for Virginia use my address if you want, you get permanent plates here for $75.00 and never pay again. So what if your plates say Virginia and not Calif. PM me if you want to do it.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
Member
 
Rsharrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 57
I'll check out the youtube for that instructional. I still have to learn more about pivot points. Appreciate your offer. I actually looked into using Oregon or Nevada. Problem is that if I were to get caught there are significant fines. It would be way more costly for me and I'm afraid my driving around in a Calif licensed truck and a Virginia licensed 5er would get me stopped in no time. A $75 "forever" license?! I can only dream. My California license on this new rig will cost me $350 to $400 a year! And it just keeps getting worse.
__________________
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Member
 
Rsharrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 57
Okay, so it is now July 9 and we've been in Shipshewana since the 3rd. Picked up our 2014 Rockwood 8289ws from Wana RV on the 5th. Paid just less than $32,000 plus taxes. Extremely happy with this rig so far. There are a couple of issues. The refrigerator is in the slide. Therefore no roof vent and this apparently tends to make the frig run hotter. They have installed a fan that cycles on and off to cool the unit but it is noisy and I don't think it is very effective. I have emailed a dometic but think I will have to replace the fan with one more efficient and quieter. The second problem is a leak in the bedroom wardrobe slide. We had a very heavy rain today and we had a substantial amount of water (more than two cups) leak in. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. I couldn't find and obvious seal problems. However there is a gutter extension that directs water off of the main awning and directly onto the side of the slide. It could have come in at the bottom but not sure.
__________________
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Splendora, Texas
Posts: 1,229
Good luck and have a great trip. I am sure that you will get those issues taken care of and be on your way. Many dealers tell you that they will not work on your RV if you don't buy from them.
__________________
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
Member
 
Rsharrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 57
Thanks. Back to Wana RV this morning. They got right on the leak issue but were unable to fix it. Referred us to the factory about 20 miles away. We are there now. They got right on it also. Impressed and confident they will have us on the road shortly. Nothing better than a factory fix!
__________________
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
Okay, so it is now July 9 and we've been in Shipshewana since the 3rd. Picked up our 2014 Rockwood 8289ws from Wana RV on the 5th. Paid just less than $32,000 plus taxes. Extremely happy with this rig so far. There are a couple of issues. The refrigerator is in the slide. Therefore no roof vent and this apparently tends to make the frig run hotter. They have installed a fan that cycles on and off to cool the unit but it is noisy and I don't think it is very effective. I have emailed a dometic but think I will have to replace the fan with one more efficient and quieter. The second problem is a leak in the bedroom wardrobe slide. We had a very heavy rain today and we had a substantial amount of water (more than two cups) leak in. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. I couldn't find and obvious seal problems. However there is a gutter extension that directs water off of the main awning and directly onto the side of the slide. It could have come in at the bottom but not sure.
My fan did not start to make noise until after the first year, you could hear the bearing. My dealer sent me a new fan and then I epoxied another fan to it and just wired it to the orginal fan with a double spade connector, so both come on now at the same time and I cool down in half the time and no more noise. You are correct their is a clickon disk that is attached to the coil when it gets hot it will turn your cooling fan on. Since I did that I don't think it comes on more the like 5mins. before it shuts them off and that is at 90 degrees outside and also now I keep my setting on #1 the freezer is at 11 degrees and the refer at 41 degrees...
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
MI Camperz
 
bodzcampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
Thanks. Back to Wana RV this morning. They got right on the leak issue but were unable to fix it. Referred us to the factory about 20 miles away. We are there now. They got right on it also. Impressed and confident they will have us on the road shortly. Nothing better than a factory fix!
How Convenient! Imagine if it had to truck back to Indiana from California!
__________________

__________________
MI Camperz
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.