Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #1

What did your 8528ikws cost?

Sorry if that is a rude question. Just trying to get an idea of what I can expect to pay. Our local dealer (Calif) has a "sale" price of $37,000 on a Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond. I don't have a clue as to what a starting offer might be, nor what a average or reasonable price would be? Curious as to what folks have paid. Thanks for your help.
Rsharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Always Learning

I used a couple of the online Wholesalers as my pricing point to figure out how much the local guys should approximately be paying/making and picked a fair price just above that for local negotiations.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #3

You should be able to easliy pick it up for $34K if the sticker is arount $43K. Are trading anything in?
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #4

Thanks. I have been checking online asking prices. However MSRP seems to be a way high artificial price. Dealers seem to quickly lower this substantially making me believe they can go much lower. Just want to feel comfortable that I got a fair deal and they made a fair profit.

I do have a trailer but am selling it myself.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #5

From Big Daddy RV's .com
Factory MAP: $37,263
New 2014 Forest River RV Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 8528IKWS Fifth Wheels at Big Daddy RVs London Kentucky Big Daddy RVs
I don't know what MAP is. I know what MSRP is.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #6

I have a 8289ws rockwood, looked at the add for big daddy, looks just like my unit, without the Diamond package I paid 32,000 out the door. even the same floor plan. I would see if they are willing to put some Marathon tires on D rated. It will come with trail express I bet. Pure garbage tires, also get the $150.00 2 nd year warranty from the factory, they will probably forget to offer that. My suggested retail price was 43,000 dollars. You will pay more just because it is California, I live in Virginia.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

You can typically get 30% off MSRP (including options) if you fight dirty (Use the internet - RV Wholesalers and RV Direct quotes FIRST).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #8

February 2012, SE Texas, 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver with a MSRP of $43,000, it has 50 AMP and two ACs, I paid $29,000. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #9

I appreciate all of the input. We have decided to go for the Rockwood 8289WS or the Flagstaff equivalent and have begun shopping price with the three dealers with whom we have made prior contact. So far we have two initial base price quotes from dealers (waiting for the third), $35,500 and $37,695. This is for the Diamond package with a 15,000 BTU A/C. I'm hoping to get a lot closer to $30,000. I'll post the final result. Of course I'm open to suggestions! One other thing, included in the above prices are about $3800 in transportation fees to get the rig to Calif. what will be added to the above will be about $3000 in sales taxes and about $400 Calif license fee. If only the grandkids didn't live here! :-)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
I appreciate all of the input. We have decided to go for the Rockwood 8289WS or the Flagstaff equivalent and have begun shopping price with the three dealers with whom we have made prior contact. So far we have two initial base price quotes from dealers (waiting for the third), $35,500 and $37,695. This is for the Diamond package with a 15,000 BTU A/C. I'm hoping to get a lot closer to $30,000. I'll post the final result. Of course I'm open to suggestions! One other thing, included in the above prices are about $3800 in transportation fees to get the rig to Calif. what will be added to the above will be about $3000 in sales taxes and about $400 Calif license fee. If only the grandkids didn't live here! :-)
Sales Tax and lic. fees will kill you in Calif. I lived in the Bay Area for 25 years, when I retired I had to move to Virginia because of that reason. If you get to walk out the door at $35,000 with tax and lic. YOU WILL BE GETTING A GOOD DEAL. The Rockwood would be a little cheaper then the Flagstaff but they are the same units, just different names........Good Luck we love our 8289WS Rockwood..

Old 06-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #11

After doing our due diligence, we have placed a down payment on a 8289WS from Wana RV in Indiana. Base price was $31,479 for our Diamond package. We figure that even factoring in taxes and license fees and our round trip costs from Calif, we will still save about $3,500. We also get a nice road trip, visit a part of the country we've not seen, and see the factory where our new baby was born. So far our contact with Gary Miller at Wana RV has been very positive. We pick it up July 5th. A side note: our local Forest River dealer, RV Travel World of Sacramento, wasn't happy with our doing business out of state and told us he will not do any warranty work for us. I'll follow up with our impressions of Wana RV and our new rig later.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #12

Quote:
After doing our due diligence, we have placed a down payment on a 8289WS from Wana RV in Indiana. Base price was $31,479 for our Diamond package. We figure that even factoring in taxes and license fees and our round trip costs from Calif, we will still save about $3,500. We also get a nice road trip, visit a part of the country we've not seen, and see the factory where our new baby was born. So far our contact with Gary Miller at Wana RV has been very positive. We pick it up July 5th. A side note: our local Forest River dealer, RV Travel World of Sacramento, wasn't happy with our doing business out of state and told us he will not do any warranty work for us. I'll follow up with our impressions of Wana RV and our new rig later.
Very smart move like I said the tax's in Calif. will kill you. Besides if travel world will not do warranty work , all you have do do is call FR. That is a great deal on a diamond package. Congrats on you purchase and choice. When you pick it up tell them to engage the revolution you will love it even if you have a full size bed. You will not loose any space in the back end of your TV. By the way what are you going to tow it with? just being noise.......... and welcome to our family !!!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #13

Thanks. We're excited about the trip and the new rig. Anxious. We have a 1999 Ford F250 4X4 7.3 diesel long bed to tow it with. Never towed/backed a 5er. Had my neighbor down to explain the hitch to me! So don't know anything about the revolution? Although I've towed three different tow trailers in the last 25 years I think I'll find a very large parking lot to practice backing this thing.

Haven't dodged the taxes. Will pay 7% sales tax in Indiana and then, I believe, pay the difference in California when I license it here.

Just checked and Camping World handles Forest River warranty work. Means I will have to drive about 30 miles further than if the local jerk would do the work.

Oh, in preparing for this 5000 mile trip I have been getting the truck ready with oil changes etc. Took it in to have the tranny serviced and they found a lot of clutch material in the pan. Going to keep the truck for a few years yet and so will be paying for a $4000 Ford rebuilt trans (3 year, 100,000 mile Ford warranty). This just keeps getting more and more expensive! :-)
Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #14

If you look on you tube, I think under Reese Revolution hitch, they will explane how it works, it will set your pivot point back 22" is how you get your TV bed back. Hell register your unit for Virginia use my address if you want, you get permanent plates here for $75.00 and never pay again. So what if your plates say Virginia and not Calif. PM me if you want to do it.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #15

I'll check out the youtube for that instructional. I still have to learn more about pivot points. Appreciate your offer. I actually looked into using Oregon or Nevada. Problem is that if I were to get caught there are significant fines. It would be way more costly for me and I'm afraid my driving around in a Calif licensed truck and a Virginia licensed 5er would get me stopped in no time. A $75 "forever" license?! I can only dream. My California license on this new rig will cost me $350 to $400 a year! And it just keeps getting worse.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #16

Okay, so it is now July 9 and we've been in Shipshewana since the 3rd. Picked up our 2014 Rockwood 8289ws from Wana RV on the 5th. Paid just less than $32,000 plus taxes. Extremely happy with this rig so far. There are a couple of issues. The refrigerator is in the slide. Therefore no roof vent and this apparently tends to make the frig run hotter. They have installed a fan that cycles on and off to cool the unit but it is noisy and I don't think it is very effective. I have emailed a dometic but think I will have to replace the fan with one more efficient and quieter. The second problem is a leak in the bedroom wardrobe slide. We had a very heavy rain today and we had a substantial amount of water (more than two cups) leak in. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. I couldn't find and obvious seal problems. However there is a gutter extension that directs water off of the main awning and directly onto the side of the slide. It could have come in at the bottom but not sure.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #17

Good luck and have a great trip. I am sure that you will get those issues taken care of and be on your way. Many dealers tell you that they will not work on your RV if you don't buy from them.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #18

Thanks. Back to Wana RV this morning. They got right on the leak issue but were unable to fix it. Referred us to the factory about 20 miles away. We are there now. They got right on it also. Impressed and confident they will have us on the road shortly. Nothing better than a factory fix!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Okay, so it is now July 9 and we've been in Shipshewana since the 3rd. Picked up our 2014 Rockwood 8289ws from Wana RV on the 5th. Paid just less than $32,000 plus taxes. Extremely happy with this rig so far. There are a couple of issues. The refrigerator is in the slide. Therefore no roof vent and this apparently tends to make the frig run hotter. They have installed a fan that cycles on and off to cool the unit but it is noisy and I don't think it is very effective. I have emailed a dometic but think I will have to replace the fan with one more efficient and quieter. The second problem is a leak in the bedroom wardrobe slide. We had a very heavy rain today and we had a substantial amount of water (more than two cups) leak in. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. I couldn't find and obvious seal problems. However there is a gutter extension that directs water off of the main awning and directly onto the side of the slide. It could have come in at the bottom but not sure.
My fan did not start to make noise until after the first year, you could hear the bearing. My dealer sent me a new fan and then I epoxied another fan to it and just wired it to the orginal fan with a double spade connector, so both come on now at the same time and I cool down in half the time and no more noise. You are correct their is a clickon disk that is attached to the coil when it gets hot it will turn your cooling fan on. Since I did that I don't think it comes on more the like 5mins. before it shuts them off and that is at 90 degrees outside and also now I keep my setting on #1 the freezer is at 11 degrees and the refer at 41 degrees...

Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
MI Camperz

Quote:
Thanks. Back to Wana RV this morning. They got right on the leak issue but were unable to fix it. Referred us to the factory about 20 miles away. We are there now. They got right on it also. Impressed and confident they will have us on the road shortly. Nothing better than a factory fix!
How Convenient! Imagine if it had to truck back to Indiana from California!