Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

Let them know up front you have your checkbook in hand and are ready to pay on the spot. I'd also let them know that *I* know that ANY dealer can order a custom unit.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
American Dreamer

We bought ours right after a snow storm the day we walked into the dealership was one of the most horrible days that winter I knew this would be the perfect day. And always walk out in the first day negotiation never ever buy the first sit down if they let you walk out by the second day you will get a call with the lowest price.

We bought a new 2012 318BHS Touring Edition with satellite for four tvs and vent covers for $23,499.00 out the door. And the trailer was not on the lot it had to be brought down from Utah

Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow View Post
Let them know up front you have your checkbook in hand and are ready to pay on the spot. I'd also let them know that *I* know that ANY dealer can order a custom unit.
Paying cash doesn't always get the price lower because the dealer will be losing out on financing. In the end it comes down to your deal making skills.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

Paying cash doesn't always get the price lower because the dealer will be losing out on financing. In the end it comes down to your deal making skills.
Agreed. Cash sale is money out of the salesman's pocket. He makes commission on finance too.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
In my limited experience, most dealers are reluctant to give the best price on anything you order from the factory. If you want the best price it may be best to search for a unit on a lot with the preferred options.

I would say that your best bet is to try to play dealers off each other. Get a price from one, take it to another, and another, and another. try to get free accessories if they won't budge on price. Make sure you know the 'extra' costs that may be associated with propane, batteries, dealer prep, etc.

Good Luck!
You mentioned "extra cost ....dealer prep ...".

I would really buck up if our dealer listed "dealer prep" as an additional cost when we purchased our unit. I'm sure I paid some sort of "dealer prep" charge, but I would have walked if it was listed as such.

Tax,title,license, additional accessories, warranties above the standard new unit one - sure Ill pay those, but the dealer better figure his "dealer prep" labor in the Overhead column.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Agreed. Cash sale is money out of the salesman's pocket. He makes commission on finance too.

True - but it's money out of your pocket.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow View Post
True - but it's money out of your pocket.
Actually I would figure its money in his pocket - he's not paying interest on the loan he didn't have to take out.

JIMO
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

You mentioned "extra cost ....dealer prep ...".

I would really buck up if our dealer listed "dealer prep" as an additional cost when we purchased our unit. I'm sure I paid some sort of "dealer prep" charge, but I would have walked if it was listed as such.

Tax,title,license, additional accessories, warranties above the standard new unit one - sure Ill pay those, but the dealer better figure his "dealer prep" labor in the Overhead column.
I negotiated an "out of the door price". There could have been a line item for "strippers and hookers" and I wouldn't have batter an eye (maybe balked at the lack of invite, but not the fee). Heck, I *did* see a $5 Internet fee. Don't know, don't care. I was happy with my price- how they arrive at it for their book-keeping doesn't matter none to me.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I negotiated an "out of the door price". There could have been a line item for "strippers and hookers" and I wouldn't have batter an eye (maybe balked at the lack of invite, but not the fee). Heck, I *did* see a $5 Internet fee. Don't know, don't care. I was happy with my price- how they arrive at it for their book-keeping doesn't matter none to me.
Kind of what I said - I just don't want to see a line item charge that says "Dealer prep". Just me.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Kind of what I said - I just don't want to see a line item charge that says "Dealer prep". Just me.
Yeah, but I guess the difference is that I don't care if it says "Dealer prep", "PDI", or anything else. My price was my price.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer