Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

what is the general mark-up on small TT

Hi my son is looking to get a small travel trailer for work .. something under 24 feet. I know what the mark-up is on the big 5th wheels but what should his bargaining point be with these small units? Some of them cost as much as a similar 34 foot quad bunk TT we bought a few years ago. We got about 35% off our 5th wheel. Is it about the same for these units.. not seeing them discounted as much.. thanks

Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #2

Around our parts you can still do okay if you hit them up near the end of the month.. and seeing how the "main season" is about over, I've seen some around 25% off. 20% is probably more typical though. If he could find a 2014 he likes he might get more haggle room.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Site Team

We bought ours in the spring. Around here the dealers run a special every spring to clear out what's left of the previous year's stock. Got a 2012 in 2013 for around 9K less than they were asking for an equivalent 2013. They weren't offering the same deal in the fall.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #4

Do a quick check with RV Wholesalers to get a quick run at typical cost for a similar unit. It will help.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
DDC

In Canada it's as much as they can get out of you and there is no limit that they will not try to get.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #6

Plus the MSRP is a fictitious number that the dealer puts on the unit. We have two dealer that are within 80 miles of each other. Went to the first dealer and was in formed the MSRP was $38,000 and if I was to purchase the unit they would let it go for $32,000. Went to second dealer and could get the same unit for $28,000. The second dealer said the MSRP was $31,000. You have to do your homework and price around to find the best deal.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Plus the MSRP is a fictitious number that the dealer puts on the unit. We have two dealer that are within 80 miles of each other. Went to the first dealer and was in formed the MSRP was $38,000 and if I was to purchase the unit they would let it go for $32,000. Went to second dealer and could get the same unit for $28,000. The second dealer said the MSRP was $31,000. You have to do your homework and price around to find the best deal.
That's what I thought too, until I went to the FROG Rally. While there, we went to the Coachmen factory to take a look at a particular floorplan I was interested. Imagine my shock when the factory provided an MSRP! They of course stipulated that an MSRP is after all a suggestion, and that I'd have to deal with a local dealer to get their price, but it does confirm that in fact there IS an MSRP.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #8

I found this website handy as far as getting invoice and MSRP. Not every make/model is on here but my 5th wheel that I have on order was. When talking with the dealer, the options I wanted to add matched up dollar for dollar with what this website shows.

Recreational Vehicles | See Dealer Cost
Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
I found this website handy as far as getting invoice and MSRP. Not every make/model is on here but my 5th wheel that I have on order was. When talking with the dealer, the options I wanted to add matched up dollar for dollar with what this website shows.

Recreational Vehicles | See Dealer Cost
Cool website. Thanks for sharing. It looks like there is about a 45% mark up on RV's. So if one can get a 30% reduction in price, then you would be doing pretty good and getting close to dealer cost.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #10

Its hard to determine what the fair price is, especially if your trading in an older unit. Just like buying a car. Start to walk when they give you that rock bottom price and I bet they will Throw out another number. Never let them see to much emotion in your purchase.