Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

What kind of deal did you make/get?

I am interested in hearing some of the deals some of you made when purchasing your new Forest River TT and some advice on negotiating my deal. I am working on a deal for a 2013 SP295 and have revieved price from a couple of dealers for $23,300 -$24,500. This would not include the WDH. I have a local dealer that has not called me back yet with a price, but they are known for their high prices. How should I handle negotiating a deal with them. I would love to buy from them since they are the closest to me, but I will not pay $1000 -$3000 more when I can drive 2.5 hours for that much less.
2002 Jayco Eagle 12SD Pup.SOLD
TNCampingDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #2

2.5 hours + fuel + your time = ?
Plan on taking it in for at least one warranty service. Ours will be going in for the second time in one year. Our dealer is about 20 minutes away.
Long story short, we were going to tow our popup back home for the $1000 difference that we were offered in trade value.
The owner gave us the grand.
Depending on full retail prices, our TT was listed at about $34000. We were out the door at about $21000.
Funtime RV is a very large volume dealer and prices reflect it.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCampingDad View Post
I am interested in hearing some of the deals some of you made when purchasing your new Forest River TT and some advice on negotiating my deal. I am working on a deal for a 2013 SP295 and have revieved price from a couple of dealers for $23,300 -$24,500. This would not include the WDH. I have a local dealer that has not called me back yet with a price, but they are known for their high prices. How should I handle negotiating a deal with them. I would love to buy from them since they are the closest to me, but I will not pay $1000 -$3000 more when I can drive 2.5 hours for that much less.
In general we did not have very many apple to apple comparisons. We did look at a specific unit at more than one dealer and I was very upfront that whoever gave me the better deal would make a sale. We had a trade and so it had to be factored in. It took a while to get the dealers to speak my language, trade difference but it worked out.

As for us, we traveled about 6.5 hours to get ours. This had almost to do with the sour experience we had with local dealer as to do with price. I drive a lot, so 2.5 hours is nothing to me. I would drive that to save $1,000 easy.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #4

Tell the local dealer just what you said in your post and take it from there. I would not pay that much more either. My V-Cross 275 was a year old on 2-17-2013 and I have not had to return it to the dealer for anyrthing. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

If I had a dealer close to me that sold toy haulers I would have bought the one that was closer for $1000 difference. I live in a small town and we only have two dealers done of what I want. So my dealer is 2.5 hours away. But my Toy hauler stickered at 28500 and we got it for 25590 including eqilizer 4 point hitch. My hauler included onboard generator, additional 50 gal fresh water tank, black tank flush. So I feel we came out pretty well.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

We were told that our new Rockwood 2306 that we ordered build out at 26,000 with the features. What's completed with the order in haggling was complete we ordered our camper 4for 16,400 dollars that sounds like a huge price drop however if you do an internet search for similar Rockwood 2306 models on dealers lots they are asking around 20,000 so still a good deal but not as big of a deal is the dealer made it sound
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #7

The dealers may not be able to move on the price very much due to built in costs etc....if he can come close or if you are thinking about any options let them know. Sometimes a dealer can give out sweet deals on some of the extra stuff cause they can use that as advertising or write-offs in the books.

I know the dealer I bought from also gives customers looking for shop work warranty or not preference in the shop. So "me" being a customer will get in ahead of "joe blow" because I bought there, sometimes even if he had an appointment first.

It may not be right however it is their way of saying thanks. I also got a card that gives me 10% off any price in the store for as long as I own this unit.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #8

My best sugestion is do your homework see what they are going for on line & as you have from other dealers. Then you have an idea of what to pay but it can be worth it to pay a little more to buy locally.
I went to shows & priced on the internet We bought a Puma Unleashed 356 QLB Toyhauler 35.5 ft fifth wheel. Our local dealer (very small 3 full time employees) did not currently carry any Toyhaulers. But they are a Puma dealer he can only keep 2-3 Pumas on the lot, but orders 4-5 at a time..... Took in what options we wanted he told us the price (was cheaper than a 2hr away volume dealer.... sticker was just over 40K we were out the door for under 30K taxes & all fees included. Ordered it.....Puma through in a larger TV than we ordered the dealer through in vent covers installed & lube plate no extra cost. (also gives a 10% discount on parts). Any time I have a question I can drive over (they are only about 5 miles from the house) they will take the time needed to assist.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #9

Our deal and dealer

Here in mid-Iowa, there are a number of dealers to choose from. We went to all of them, looking at new and used. There was one place about 45 minutes or so from us on our way to Sue's family's house in Ft. Dodge. Just a corner turn in the road. Always has new and used TT. We bought from him because he has been in RV repair for about 30 years and has been selling about 10 years. Because he has such extensive knowledge in working with RVs and he has little overhead, he was able to sell us our 2013 Grey Wolf 26RL for $16,500. The usual MSRP is $23-28K. I was duly impressed.
Rappenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rappenwolf View Post
Here in mid-Iowa, there are a number of dealers to choose from. We went to all of them, looking at new and used. There was one place about 45 minutes or so from us on our way to Sue's family's house in Ft. Dodge. Just a corner turn in the road. Always has new and used TT. We bought from him because he has been in RV repair for about 30 years and has been selling about 10 years. Because he has such extensive knowledge in working with RVs and he has little overhead, he was able to sell us our 2013 Grey Wolf 26RL for $16,500. The usual MSRP is $23-28K. I was duly impressed.
Visit Cheyenne camping center?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #11

What I would do is do a google search for your model and see what dealers are selling it for around the country. I've seen around a 30 - 40% difference and it doesn't seem to matter on the location of the dealer. With something to compare to, you will have an idea if the dealer you want to buy from is giving you a good price or not.

The biggest issue is getting warranty work done on your RV. It sounds like most dealers just don't want to deal with a unit that wasn't purchased from them. It's bad enough sometimes to get your local dealer to fix some warranty items and having to deal with a dealer hours away could put you in an early grave. But maybe if you could save a 1/3 or so, it might be worth the aggravation.

There are tips on how to negotiate a better deal in the archives. One I recall is to negotiate each upgrade/option separately rather than as a package for example.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Visit Cheyenne camping center?
No, that one we didn't get to. We bought from Highview in Webster City.
Rappenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #13

Rough guide line take the MSRP then subtract 30% from it and that's the ba park to start dealing with on the price. Sometimes a higher price can be made-up with a higher trade in value. We bought our 2604 from the same dealer we bought our ROO from. The 2604 MSRP 32,000. purchase price 24,000. As for the ROO we paid 17,000 for it 5 years before trade-in and got 12,000 for it on trade in after 5 years of use.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #14

Thumbs up 2011 Palomino Elite 829RLQS

I just purchased a new 2011 Palomino Elite 829RLQS from Midway RV in Grand Rapids, MI for $18,900.00. + tax. No prep, delivery or hidden fees. I felt this was a good price. MSRP was around 36K

This is a double slide, living/bedroom, leather, fiberglass/aluminum unit 32' overall.

2011 - Palomino - Elite - 829RLQS - Travel Trailer - Grand Rapids - MI - Details

Very good people to deal with, great communications and service. I live in Milton, FL and we going up next week to pick up.
frankhpns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #15

RV Wholesalers and Jeff Couch's RV in Hamilton, OH were both pretty impressive price wise. They both are pretty open with their pricing and no real haggling is required. High Volume for sure.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #16

We just bought a Coachmen 292BHDS Liberty Edition (fully loaded). We also got the Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Control WDH, an external grill added to the back bumper, brake controller for $24,500.

I went to General RV, RV Wholesalers and got quotes that I took to my closet dealer (Pontiac RV) and they matched the price. I think MSRP was $39Kish, which means I got a 37% discount off list with all the other stuff added on. If you take those off, I got about a 40% discount off list.
Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #17

Awaiting delivery of our 2013 V-Lite 26WRB from Tom Johnson in Marion, NC. Custom ordered exactly the way we wanted it equipped with diamond package, minimum carpet, power jack and stabilizers, 15k ac, wood look floor, and slide topper. Dealer threw in a $200.00 credit for extras at parts store. MSRP $31,940.00. We paid $21,500.00. Local dealer beat everyone's price including wholesale dealers. We went to 4 shows and met with salesman 5 times until we agreed on the sale. I think our time was well spent as we compared brands and models and finally got exactly what we wanted. Should be delivered in two weeks and can't wait to try it out.
unit1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Physician

Here's the breakdown on what I purchased:

2014 Sabre 35QSIK-6 from Carpenter's Campers in Pensacola, FL (<1 mile from house)

Options:
Platinum Edition
High Fidelity Package
Superior Construction Package
Superior Feature Package
Slide-Out Toppers (3)
50 Amp Service w/ 2nd Air Conditioner Ready w/ Detachable Marine Power Cord
15.0 BTU 1st AC (Main)
13.5 BTU 2nd AC (Bedroom)
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers (Front Jacks only)
Rear Electric Stabilizer Jacks
6000 Lb Axles / 16" Tires / 8-Lug Aluminum Rims
Electric Fireplace
Radiant Technology Insulation
Solid Surface Galley Countertop By LG® & Faucet Upgrade
SuperLounge IPO Couch/Dinette in LR Slide
Serta Mattress Upgrade 60" x 80" (Queen)
Ceiling Fan
Electrolux Central Vacuum
Beauflor® Linoleum, Plank Wood Pattern w/ 7 Year Cold-Crack Warranty
Slide Out TV & DVD Player (Baggage Area)
Trail Air® Equa-Flex™ Suspension

MSRP: $59,600.00
Final: $42,850.00

I did see comparable units across the web for less, but none with the exact options I picked. Also, decided having the dealership within walking distance from my house was too good to pass up.

Doc

SabreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote