Old 06-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #1

What will the market look like in a year or two?

With all the builders (not just FR running at or over capacikty and everyone getting on the RV bandwagon, whether it be a 5er or a pull behind, pop up, MoHo or Truck camper, I wonder what the market, especially the used market will be like in say a year or two.

There will be a percentage of new owners who decide the RV thing isn't for them and sell their units. Then, you have the unhappy with their unit people that will also off the unit and may or may not buy another brand.

At the rate that builders are cranking out new units, at some point the market will reach saturation because not everyone is an RV'er. Factor in the slowly rising cost of fuel (gas and diesel) and it will continue to rise more than likely and we have the perfect storm brewing for a tremendous used unit buyers market I suspect.

I believe lightly used units will sell for a mere fraction of the initial cost and a lot of first time buyers that decide that the RV lifestyle isn't for them will be holding the bag on large financial obligations with no hope of even breaking even..

What do you say???

SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

10,000 people are retiring every single day..........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #3

The balloon has to pop sooner or later. I, for one, am in it for the long haul. Yes the ones that bought the big units and decided camping was not for them will take a bath when they get rid of them. Some people wait and let the original owners take the depreciation hit, and then buy the "slightly used" unit. IMO that is the smart way to do it. Just like big business, there are all kind of stores and buildings sitting empty, but they are building new stores and strip malls up the wazoo. Go figure! Eventually the "supply & demand" theory will bottom out and things will come to a stand still. Like my dad use to say "the urge is still there but it is not so urgent!"

Bob
retiredcamper47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
10,000 people are retiring every single day..........
I agree. I'm retired, sort of. Owning my own business means I never retire but more to the point, how many of those 10,000 will buy an RV in the first place and of that percentage, how many will stay with it. It's not for everyone by a long shot.

Then, we have the inherent lack of quality issues and thye quick build get it out the door issue that I'm sure will cause a lot of buyers to have buyers remorse and off the unit.

I know a number of retirees who prefer to travel via a motel or take a cruise rather than go camping. Camping, no matter how you shake it takes lots of preparation and even more money besides buying the RV, that is just the start.

I think it will be interesting and assuredly a buyers market for used RV's shortly.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #5

I figure if the fit hits the shan we can live in it. Cheaper than a house payment..worst case. If the zombie apocalypse ever really happened it would make a bug out vehicle...hey. It could happen.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I figure if the fit hits the shan we can live in it. Cheaper than a house payment..worst case. If the zombie apocalypse ever really happened it would make a bug out vehicle...hey. It could happen.
Don't see that happening anytime soon but, the market is very cyclical (RV) and is totally dependent on fuel prices and disposable income as well as interest rates and the Fed is supposed to raise the prime twice this year.

I saw the RV industry go bust once, could very well happen again.

Some units cost more than a home. Myself, I'll take a house over a shanty on wheels anyday. A house appreciates in value, a shanty on wheels depreciates and from what I see the depreciation curve is pretty steep too.

Myself, I too am a long haul RV'er but I don't believe that is the norm.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
This is actually something that's been a huge load off to me. Single income family. Worst case if the **** hits the fan, we have a warm, dry place to hang our heads and I could move around as needed if I found a job in a different part of the country. Wouldn't be fun, it would be cramped as hell, but we could make it work.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #8

Somehow, living in a Walmart parking lot don't have much appeal to me.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
This is actually something that's been a huge load off to me. Single income family. Worst case if the **** hits the fan, we have a warm, dry place to hang our heads and I could move around as needed if I found a job in a different part of the country. Wouldn't be fun, it would be cramped as hell, but we could make it work.
That's been my exact thoughts as well. First of all, until the boomers die off, RVs of any type will be a thing. And for young couples too. Gotta look at the aggregate numbers. In the immortal words of Buffalo Springfield, circa 1967, there's something happening here what it is ain't exactly clear. But major changes are afoot. I look to my camper as a bug out as well. I feel darned lucky to have it. Call me a tin foil hatter, but something's not right. And im not picking on one side or the other. But it's coming. I can feel it and I can smell it. I was there in 65. It's the same. But worse.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Scoundrel

I always buy slightly used and shop hard for the best deal I can find. I'm not concerned at all about what the market may look like years from now. Its out of my control and it doesn't matter anyway. Its more about making memories and looking forward to the next adventure.

Rich J.

HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote