Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #1

When To Buy???

Well everyone, I pretty much made up my mind to get a Wolf Pack 23 WP Toy Hauler and I was wondering if there is a better time of the year to buy a trailer?
I think I may be able to find a good deal but if I buy now I will have to be winterizing and storing it pretty soon.

What are your opinions on time of the year to buy...

Thanks in advance
JimT
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We bought ours in November, great price, bad time. We got to use it once before cold weather. Before we could use it again, we had lost almost 5 months of warranty. Never had any problems, but you never know what may creep up. You can get some great prices now on leftover models, but you better camp in the driveway a lot, or make week-end runs, so you can see what might be wrong/need repairing under warranty. Just my opinion.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think that depends where you are in the country and if you are looking at the local dealers only or including RVW and RVD.

We started negotiating around this time last year with our current camper checking out the local guys around SE WI and the "wholesalers". RVW and RVD gave us the exact quotes in the fall and in the late winter.

The pricing wasn't that great from the local guys in the fall but they dropped slightly after the shows in February.

After more negotiating we finally bought in March this year from a local dealer at a nice discount from the previous Fall. A few hundred dollars higher than RVW as I recall, but it was a place that I like for their service and its close by.

Be careful waiting too long in the spring. New orders tend to get delayed after all the shows and you could lose some of next season waiting for your camper.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #4

If you order one now, you might get a better deal, and probably a better-built unit, as they wouldn't be in such a rush.
The warranty is a non-issue, as it will sit idle in the winter no matter when you buy it. Just make sure to get the extra year when you buy it.
Buying it off-season also gives you extra time to look for the best deal, as you aren't in a rush either.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Storing may be an offset in your year-end savings, but I wouldn't let the winterizing be the final straw. There are several ways to winterize and if you do it yourself the costs can be very inexpensive. Windrider also brings up a good point that never entered my mind of the starting point of the warranty.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

we bought both of our new units in august and bought left overs each time .
with big savings .....
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #7

We bought our 2011 this year in early April just as the 2012's were starting to show up. Prices seemed to be very good at that time.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, I think early next year I will be in a better financial position to get something anyway. I will just keep my eyes open and save save save!!!!

JimT
Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Before we could use it again, we had lost almost 5 months of warranty.
I thought about that when I bought mine- and took delivery at the end of October. If I waited until April or May I would have a longer warranty in theory; but not really. I will use my unit May through September. The extra warranty I get will cover a time when I am not using the trailer.

Also Iam a procrastinator. If there is an issue at the end of the season I could easily say "I've got all winter to get them to look at it." Now I am forced to get it done before the snow starts to fly.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Site Team

we bought in late October and got a great clearance price. the dealers were trying to get rid of inventory before winter, since they want to have low numbers that just sit.

and since we live in California, we were able to bring it home and still have time to camp.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Rav

We just bought out TT towards the end of August its a 2012 Shasta 21' bunk house. After owning it for a week we had to take it in to get a few things fixed under warranty and when went to pick it up we saw a 2012 Shasta 27' bunk house for $3000 less than we paid for ours. It was originally $7000 more. We kicked ourselves in the butt for that one. This is our first TT so live and learn I guess. When we decide to replace this one down the road we will be shopping in early September that's for sure.

Steve
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #12

We bought ours last November. Prime Time had a promotion of $3,800 of free upgrades at the time. I believe they have another promotion going on now, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

We camped once after purchasing the tt just to check it out. I spent last winter learning the tt. I went over everything and also added a few mods here and there. I now have most of one season of camping in the tt and I believe all the "new camper bugs" are worked out. I will go over the tt next month and then take it to my dealer before the warranty runs out if I find anything wrong.

So buying last November has worked out well for us.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
MI Camperz

I bought end of Sept and I believe I saved a lot at season end. However, I also sold for less, so it balanced out. Storage not an issue for me as we are on seasonal lot and get to store it there year round. In the long run, I saved more than I had to discount though. I'd do it again. No way I would buy spring or early summer.....premium demand.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #14

"No way I would buy spring or early summer.....premium demand."
==========================================
That is exactly when we bought ours, and I haven't seen anyone get a better deal.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
We just bought out TT towards the end of August its a 2012 Shasta 21' bunk house. After owning it for a week we had to take it in to get a few things fixed under warranty and when went to pick it up we saw a 2012 Shasta 27' bunk house for $3000 less than we paid for ours. It was originally $7000 more. We kicked ourselves in the butt for that one. This is our first TT so live and learn I guess. When we decide to replace this one down the road we will be shopping in early September that's for sure.

Steve
Big mistake to go back and check prices, lol. After you buy an item never go back and check the price weeks later because it will most likey be cheaper. Happens with RV's, computers, cars, etc.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #16

I think your right end of Sept. early Oct. I had a great deal on the exact one I wanted but unfortunately my life situation has changed a bit so I will have to wait until next Sept/Oct....

JimT
Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #17
MI Camperz

Keep shopping. You never know when a deal you can't refuse will present itself.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #18

If you plan to buy from a dealers existing inventory, buy it when you find the one you want. Most dealers will agree to leave it on the lot until spring if it is during the winter months.

If you plan to buy using a factory order, delivery time will likely be 8 to 12 weeks, so waiting until spring is not a good idea. Additionally, good deals can often be negotiated on "factory orders" as it is a "flow-thru" for the dealer with the sale compete on delivery of the RV - i.e. on the dealers lot from the factory, PDI and prep, and then immediately off the lot to the buyer. Saves the dealer money.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #19

Don't forget that if you order a camper now, it will likely be delivered on roads covered in salt, and your frame and undercarriage will be rusty from day one.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #20

I bought our unit at the beginning of Sept. The dealership agreed to store it for free all winter and our warrenty doesn't start until we take possession likely the beginning of May. It will also be insured while on their lot by them. All of this and I also got them to come down to my price.
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote