Old 01-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant
That's why I have NEVER done a trade-in, RV or auto/truck.
It's a losing deal.
Have always sold them myself and got way more than any trade-in.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Bowhnter View Post
Kind of depressing, I can see 30% but not over 50%.
A sharp buyer that is willing to shop the internet when buying new can usually get 30-35% off the "list price when buying. Others pay close to or what the dealer is asking. Trading it in a getting 50% of the new list price could easily happen when trading it in when it is a year old if the unit you are buying is heavily discounted...

2015 Chev Silverado 3500 dually D/A
2016 Cedar Creek 36CK
B&W Patriot 18K, Trail-Aire pinbox,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
MSRP 2015 FR Vibe 268RKS. ~$33000 Trade value ~$15000

That's messed up.

My dealer told me it was the manufacturer who set these prices, that's why the initial question.

I just went and looked at same year for sale units. New is being advertised at less than used ones.

That sounds like a manufacturer discounting to me. Which in turn really screws up the used market.
Mike and Susan
Cavalier King Charles - Jack (3) and Sadie (2)
2015 Columbus 320 RS
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #14
Except that one should easily be able to purchase that new for around $23,100 (30%off) or less with a little negotiating from the right dealer...
2015 Chev Silverado 3500 dually D/A
2016 Cedar Creek 36CK
B&W Patriot 18K, Trail-Aire pinbox,
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
Oklahoma Proud
If its any help....
I had a 2013 puma 5th wheel that we ordered in 2012 and took delivery in july of 2012. In may of 2013 we took it in for warranty work and it was hit by hail. I talked some numbers with one of the owners that i an friends with.

Msrp of our unit was $33-34k, we got the unit for $25k even with our b&w companion, so actually a little over $24k for our puma.
The wholesale price (or what they used for trade) for our, now 10 month old unit was $20k and that's what he would normally allow on a "cash" price type purchase (not inflated numbers to sound good). But since our unit had some light hail damage all over, he was going to discount it another $5k.
.....Recap....$10k loss in 10 months. Actually thats pretty reasonable, and heres why. Our insurance ended up saying we had over $19k in damage and they were going to total it. I asked to keep it, but they said they would give me market value and that i could retain it for 50% of market value.

In the end they said market was $25,300 , so i would have had to give about $12,600 to retain. So dealer actually would have payed more than i would have been able to keep it for.

I ended up letting it go, and after my deductible i ended up with a hitch that cost me $200. I was very blessed!!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #16
When I bought my current fiver it was for 28% off of the MSRP. That was February 2015 in Houston Texas.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
I wanted to trade in my RV at a dealer and obtained the NADA value on-line. When I got to the dealer, he pulled out his NADA book and valued my RV at $35K less than I got on-line. When I asked why the difference, he stated that the on-line version is retail will his was wholesale. I eventually sold it privately and got a whole lot more for it that dealer was willing to give. Another point on trade-in is what you are buying. The higher the unit price, the higher the trade-in value. My personal recommendation, sell it yourself but don't overprice it. Look around and be in the ballpark.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #18
Most if not all RV dealers will advise you to sell your rig to see if you can get better than book price and they will even give you a range to look for. Sometimes its just more convenient to trade in and if the price difference is too much try and get them to add things to the deal and be prepared to walk a few times.
2015 Flagstaff 26FKWS
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
In my experiences, I have not had much confidence in NADA pricing. The bankers refer to it and the dealers hang their hat on it. It is a behind the desk reference.

Last year, we decided to sell a boat via private seller. Research indicated that the NADA value was much lower than similar boats on the market. Even the dealers were advertising well over NADA. We sold the boat within a short time at 20 percent over "book". A competing buyer wanted to start a bidding war.The buyer was elated, the and second up was not happy. Both parties were aware of the NADA pricing, but they were also aware of the market and had been shopping for some time.

Condition and features are key. We detail everything we sell or trade, even if it is in great condition. On a trade, the less the dealer has to do, the more they are willing to negotiate. If you are trading, bring some comps so the dealer knows that you are savvy.

I would depend more on market conditions than on any price guides. This has proven true for me many times over the years. Use the NADA values as a guide, not a bible.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #20
If you sell private.
Don't forget the sales tax that you have to pay on the amount of the trade in when you buy the new unit.

monte is offline   Reply With Quote