Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #91

For 21 years, I went were Uncle Sugar sent me via the USAF. I didn't buy any campers during that time, because I didn't want to have to sell them. We lived "lite" and ready to be mobile. Germany, Greece, Panama, then some stateside.

Now I've got roots and don't have an unexpected PCS (permanent change of station) looming in my future. Funny thing, permanent never seemed to permanent. I wouldn't trade that life I had for anything, well, except for maybe a record lottery win.

Now, I've got my truck, got my camper, still married to the same good woman, and occasionally, buy a good bottle of bourbon and life is good.

BTW, I like the Eagle Rare, Stranahan's, Crown Royal, Makers Mark as far as the bourbons go.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #92
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
Now we're enjoying our retirement and spending our kids inheritance. They won't need it, they're doctors. Lol
That's funny! Good for you!

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 AM   #93
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
A caution to the board at large.

Please be careful to avoid hot button political remarks and the desire (no matter how closely held) to espouse your viewpoint on same.

For political discussions find my campsite at the rally and pull up a chair.
Lou, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread! (I'm a prepper, too. I prep to eat! LOL)

After spending two weeks stateside, I am shocked at how big some of the rigs are in real-life! The full-timers (and almost full-timers) were really interesting to talk to. So many different stories, so many different reasons...

Our Korean friends were flat out shocked at how big the rigs and the states were. Great fun!

Keep the stories coming!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #94

I spent 35 years as a Firefighter. Before that I was in the Army and worked at Chrysler for a year. I worked 48 hours a week, doing two 24 hour shifts a week.I was able to work part time in delivery for a few department stores. I also drove trucks for a transport company. My wife stayed at home and took care of our kids and me. We complained of not making enough money but the bills were paid and there was food on the table. We never depended on the part time money to survive. We started out with a used 6 sleeper hard top camper, that we took out a loan for. Progressed to a used TT, then a new TT, then a used TH 5er and now a 5er that we're still paying for. We had a few TVs during that time and now have a 1 ton GMC Duramax dually, crew cab, 4x4, etc. It was bought new in 2011. We've been using trailers for camping for 35 years now. Some people say the usual," it must be nice", and if I don't like the tone they are using than I just say, "it took 4 people to die so we could do this". Then the eyes open up and the mouth shuts. We worked hard for what we have and now in retirement are enjoying the "fruits of our labour".
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #95
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Our Korean friends were flat out shocked at how big the rigs and the states were. Great fun!
Our cousin from Italy visited last year and I am not sure which blew him away more; The House, The Camper, or The truck.

While we live fairly spartan compared to most single family homes in the northeast (1200 SF Rancher on a 3/4 acre lot), our home was HUGE compared to 99% of houses in Italy (which typically have large families and may even have married children at home). The truck and camper were far beyond normal for Europe. Common street width and the price of fuel make a personally owned truck the size of a 3/4 ton and a 29 foot camper unrealistic.

His eyes were the way the Indonesians' must have been like when they saw the first sailing ships. "Treed Islands that move"

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #96

I fall into the working my butt off category. I work for 45-65 straight 12-18hr days with zero days off. Yes I make good money for what I do but I don't get the luxury of being home every night either. I don't see my wife or family for all those days in a row as I work in Texas and live in Iowa! I am able to afford our camper because of working like I do and forcing myself to do it so I can provide my family with some of the better experiences in life! I wouldn't trade what I do for anything because I love my job but when u look at the big scope of things I believe most "good" Americans understand that you want something that means you have to work your butt off to be able to get it!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #97
Incheon, S. Korea

As Julie and I talk more about the comments our friends made, I think they now realize why living in Korea is so frustrating for me at times. They also now understand why driving five hours isn't a problem for me, too.
They were totally baffled that so many could have such massive rigs. I guess it's like seeing treed islands for the first time! LOL
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #98

DH and I are both retired from the Air Force. 21 for me, 22 for him ... just in different lives since we've only been married a little over 2 years. I raised 2 kids mostly as a single parent and he and his late wife raised 2 of their own. I am both lucky and blessed to have met him.

We also fall into the working our butts off group since we still have 2 houses with mortgages. As soon as the 2nd house surfaces from being under water we'll probably sell it so that we can consider really retiring. Until then we work, work, work, then we ride our Harleys, camp when we can, and take a long soak in the hot tub at least once a week.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #99
Site Team

Working my butt off

I been working 2 jobs for over 20 years now. Most of that time was 7 days a week.
Now I work 4 10 hour days Fridays off and work about 4 hours on both weekend days.
I do I find time to camp... I get the best spots as I can leave to go there on Thursday night. But I wake at 5 am an Saturday to go to work and come home from camping on Sunday night and go back to work. I am very thankful for what I have in life.
Im a Plant Mgr during the week for a anti friction co. and my sign bizz is doing well again now.(weekend signs for new home subdivisions).
Im tired just thinking about all the work! But the money is nice, but I know any day something could happen change all that.
Looking forward to the day I can do this camping stuff full time!
I owe on my house , camper and truck Want to sell the house and pay off the truck , camper and drive off into the sunset with DW2b.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #100

Lucky for me I was born with nothing and after much wasteful spending I still have most of it.