Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #131

We saved for what we have.

The kids moving out helped as well

Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #132
American Dreamer

We retired at 39 now 45 and been on the road fulltiming for a year. We have no debt and our home is paid off. We will be selling it since we have been fulltiming so much that we can not see us going back to a fixed home.

In our case we just found out early in life what was important and we bypassed alot of what friends and family members did not.

We also found the perfect business to help us reach our goals and give us the lifestyle we wanted.

Example instead of having a brand new tow vehicle ours is a 2004 Expedition as long as it keeps towing we wont change it now we are looking to step up in trailer even than I will buy a used truck and let another person pay the depreciation.

Now I should had done the same thing with the trailer but made mistake of buying new for the next trailer I will buy used it will not be until we are totally sure what our needs and wants are that I will buy new and it will only be because we will be having a custom made fithwheel and that will be in 2 or 3 years.

But the biggest take for us has been how much affordable this lifestyle can be compared to a traditional home.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #133

My wife and I have 4 kids(between us) and one new grandchild. I am 49 and she is 41. We have both been married before and like the outdoors. We plan to camp several times a year instead of one big vacation maybe every other year. A decent vacation costs at least $2500 now days. You can spend $5k if you don't watch it...which I/we have NEVER done. I am too tight for that.

I had a marriage break up 4 years ago and lived like a hermit for over 3 years. Now it is our time. We are going to try to enjoy something. BTW. I had just bought a Dodge diesel 4X4 and a bass boat before she left(both used). I got them paid off. Got a new wife. Then we bought a 5er...it's not new, but it is very nice. I sometimes feel ashamed of spending money on stuff, but you know something? You only live once. Love God, love your family and make the most of it.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #134
GO GREEN!!!!!

For my wife and I it's a different direction: I had left full time to take care of the kids as my wife had the better job. During the last couple years my best friend became ill and lost both hands and feet and nearly his life, my (at the time) 2 year old son became so ill he spent over a month in PICU and had over 32 blood transfusions and nearly passed away (very very close call), my mom passed, etc etc etc. It all really made us evaluate and then re-evaluate our lives and how we live them.

I've been a police officer for 22 years and I'm 44. For the first 15 of those years I worked 2-4 four police jobs, one full time and 2-3 part time at the same time, rarely getting more than 5-6 hours of sleep. Retirement doesn't last long for most police officers as they tend to pass on before they reach 60-65. My family has a LONG history of heart health and it worries me.

So, we decided to do the fun things while we're young(ish) and in good enough shape to enjoy it. I want to be able to enjoy my kids and wife in more than a day to day life before the kids are gone off on their own lives and it all slips away.

Now that our kids are both in school and I'm back to work full time we decided to make one last big purchase: Columbus 365rl. It's far more than we probably needed but what a luxury to have.

The goal now: pay it all off before we retire! LOL
Old 09-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #135

I figure that the cost of the trailer is relatively small compared to the memories my son will have when he is older and the life experiences he is getting.

I camped as a kid and have fond memories. My wife did not and wants to ensure our son does.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstover View Post
I figure that the cost of the trailer is relatively small compared to the memories my son will have when he is older and the life experiences he is getting.

I camped as a kid and have fond memories. My wife did not and wants to ensure our son does.
Ditto on this
Old 09-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #137
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartans View Post
During the last couple years my best friend became ill and lost both hands and feet and nearly his life, my (at the time) 2 year old son became so ill he spent over a month in PICU and had over 32 blood transfusions and nearly passed away (very very close call), my mom passed, etc etc etc. It all really made us evaluate and then re-evaluate our lives and how we live them.

So, we decided to do the fun things while we're young(ish) and in good enough shape to enjoy it. I want to be able to enjoy my kids and wife in more than a day to day life before the kids are gone off on their own lives and it all slips away.

The goal now: pay it all off before we retire! LOL

Yes, this...on more than one level.

I lost my Mom, then DH lost his Mom, DH lost one of his best friends *very* quickly to cancer (long undetected until he suddenly had severe back problems...*no* symptoms until the back pain...metastasized from lungs). Both our Dads are in bad health. Our kids (my three sons, his two sons) are all grown with kids of their own and are scattered to the four winds due to careers, etc.

It makes you do some serious reflecting on what's important in life. Our home is paid for and we'd been considering buying a new home. OK, so we did, it's just on wheels. With *much* less liability and the neighborhood changes often, as well as the "view" outside our windows.

An added plus is that perhaps we'll be able to visit our kids more now, except for one.....I don't think we wanna drag Francis all the way to Dubai.

AND, with shore power we now have a "guest house" when the kids come here!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #138
Professional Curmudgeon

Everybody loves to grouse about the economy (me included), but the fact is, our earning power has increased dramatically over the last 40 years or so.
A couple weeks ago, we gave away our 1990 Gulfstream Innsbruck 2609IN. We really missed it, so decided to get another camper. We started out looking at used, but quickly decided the price difference for new wasn't so great after all.
The other day I was going through a bunch of papers and found the original invoice for the Gulfstream. I was astonished to see that we are only paying $4000.00 more for a factory fresh 2014 Coachmen 25RKS!
While the new camper isn't an example of conspicuous consumption, it is quite a bit nicer than the old one, with more amenities and more room.
In an era when we are paying more for a new car than my parents paid for an entire house, it's nice to see an industry where inflation has actually been held in check.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #139

Thumbs up not sure that "afford" is the operative word, but

I am a physician. Worked a long time to get here. Not sure I technically can afford the travel trailer we are purchasing, but that isn't really the point to me I suppose. When my little 4 year old daughter approaches me out of the blue and says, "Dad, when can we go camping again? Tomorrow?", then the grueling workload and the fact that I'm saving for her college doesn't seem to enter into it.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #140
Incheon, S. Korea

Those memories you will create are priceless. Congrats on the new trailer!

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote