Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #51
Site Team
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
I think that is key. How well you manage money. We hardly go out to eat and to movies etc. Each of those with a family of 4 will cost at LEAST 25.00 for dinner and 50 or so for movies. You do those multiple times a month are you spending the equivalent of an RV Payment per month on CRAP.

Yup - I completely agree and am in the work hard | play hard group. Paper sack lunch, no yard service, fix rather than replace, buy quality stuff rather than quantity stuff. Over the years it pays off.

Consider that if you buy lunch everyday for $5 that's $1200.00 per year. If you spend $10 then it's $2400.00. Take your lunch for ten years and you have $24000.00. You can have a pile of fun for 24K

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #52
Incheon, S. Korea
Lunch? Think about $4+ coffee... I used to live near a Starbucks. Always a line at the drive-through. Crazy.
It's a status symbol here in Korea. LOL

Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #53
ya 5.00 lunch would have been the norm 5-10yrs ago LOL. Now a days LUnch will cost 8.00 - 10.00

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #54
old money

Don't see a lot of old money when camping. Most of us are grind stone types. For myself it was education. From the time I joined the USAF out of high school I have kept the focus of work and school. The wife and I (togther for 40) have rasied our family and about to start a new chapter of our lifes. she retires in 18 months and I am moving to a parttime contract.

When the family was young we tent camped, then to a pop up.
When the young ones vacated the house we went the Harley route and revisted all of the previous haunts. Now we are going to visit those sites again in a class C with the grandkids.

In my job I have traveled to many countries, and with no disrespect, I get a big smile on my face when wheels are down and locked on approach to ATL. We have a lot of problems and stupidity to deal with here in the US (GOOGLE yesterday being the lastest), but I must say that I have met some of the best people camping (and some of the worst at the Ritz). I look forward to seeing you out there.
Hoglou westGA
KM4HQQ 146.640mhz
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #55
My best working years made about one sixth of what Obama considers the middle class. But in the late sixties, worked in Greenland for eighteen months, and was able to pay one half down on first house ($18,500).
Seems like today I have plenty of money for my life style as long as I don't do something crazy.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #56
For us, its about setting priorities and understanding our financial situation today and for the next stage in life. Right now I'm in the military and have been for 26 years, but I am retiring next year. We've known this for several years, so we've planned for a lifestyle change. In the meantime we have a 9 year old, so priorities kick in and we've decided to enjoy the camping lifestyle with our family and friends. We're also making sure that we can enjoy this lifestyle in our next stage of life.
2012 Crusader 320RLT
2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L
2016 (19 Nights Camped/1348 Miles)
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #57
As many of you have posted, it is all about priorities in life and what is important to you and your family.

I bet many of us on this forum don't buy a new car every 2-3 years, go on cruises or expensive resort vacations, have gobs of jewelry, vacation homes, ect. We have decided to spend our disposable income on some sort of RV.

Life is choices. Some have decided to live for today and not worry about saving for later in life. Others, like ourselves, have put away money for many years to live a ""comfortable" retirement. Many are somewhere in-between.

I look at everything we buy from a "what is our return on investment of this money"? We bought the truck and trailer listed in our signature because it best fit our current needs and now that we are retired, we can get enough use out of it.

I hope everyone has an camping year filled with memorable experiences!
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR 29 MBV
2010 Dodge 2500 Cummings
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #58
For us, we started young and setting priorities. Fortunately my wife and I both have great jobs. I myself am in the oil and gas processing business, my wife is heavy in commercial insurance. As compared to most here I believe us to be in the younger crowd. We are both 40 but are already empty nesters. We struggled early to be successful in our mid life so we have longer to enjoy "us". Being in Texas and in particular Houston, there are no shortage of well paying jobs here. We combined being fortunate, lucky, and skilled to add up to all of our successes. I enjoy the honesty and the forums here...see yall down the road.
harleycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #59
Originally Posted by Auto4 View Post
I'm blessed with a job I love (17 years as a police officer and K9 handler for last 7). i work many hours But I don't really consider it work because I truly love my job.

I try and save all winter so that I can enjoy our family vacations in the summer with out the stress of "how am u going to pay for this?"

The reason why we got into camping was because after the initial investment, the cost of going on a family vacation dropped considerably allowing us to vacation more.

Where before camping we were limited to one trip a year, now with the camper we average 6 trips a year.
We are in the se boat. I have been a police officer for 7 years, and took one trip a year. Now with the camper we will be able to go all the time, because I save all winter both money and days off. Not filthy rich but I work at a good paying department.
Sharpey312013 FR Wildwood 26TBSS owner
Sharpey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #60
Incheon, S. Korea
A big thank you to all you members of the armed forces and police/fire departments!

Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote