Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #71
I meant to also mention that we have had a 1964 Piper Cherokee 180 since the late 90's. And DH is also working on building an airplane (Zenith) He got bored 30 days into retirement and went back to school on his GI Bill to get his A&P license, of which he now has the 'A" and in one more semester will have the "P"
Flying is fun, I soloed but never got licensed (why bother. . . I have my own personal pilot) Camping is more fun, however you just don't get there as fast.

2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304
2004 GMC Savana 2500
2013 Days Camped, since April: 33
DKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #72
Great thread. Its very interesting to hear everyone's story. I'm 38 and my wife is 34. We both have been fairly successful in our careers. I took a leap of faith and opened an insurance agency about 8 years ago after spending 11 years in the beer/wine and soda business as a sales rep and manager. The first 2-3 years we really struggled to stay above water. Finally about 5 years ago business picked up and hasn't stopped yet. ( That sound is me knocking on wood) I work about 50 hours a week and coach football and baseball in the evenings. DW has been in staffing/hr business for the last 7 years. She works 40hrs a week sometimes a little more but it's rare. Her salary is good, but it's the group health insurance that keeps her working. Individual health insurance for a family of 5 is very expensive. Plus, the alternative to her having a job is to come work for me and that ain't happening. Shes the boss at home and couldn't handle me being the boss at We both feel fortunate to have our careers and know that we've been a little lucky, but we definitely worked our tails off to get where we are. We are not frugal savers but not frivolous spenders either. We fall into the thinking that we want to spend as much quality time with our little ones as we can while they're young. Our weekday schedule doesn't give us that opportunity so we decided to give camping a try on the weekends. I already owned a truck capable of towing so, we bought our first used TT 3 years ago. After the first season we agreed that we loved camping but hated our TT. After paying off 1 vehicle we decided to sell the old TT and bought our 2012 Salem. We operate on a budget and all decisions are made within that budget. We don't buy what we can't afford and don't spend $$ just to spend $$. Camping and all costs involved had to be worked in and a few things were sacrificed to make that happen. (Like my golf habit) I can tell you that if we lived frugal and didn't have smartphones, eat out, have satellite tv, etc we would have a really nice savings account. But I enjoy posting on here from my iPhone after eating the pizza we just had delivered while watching my beloved Cincinnati Reds on the TV.

2012 Salem 30KQBSS
2010 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.4L
Bearcat55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #73
Incheon, S. Korea
Great! Your children will thank you when you are older.
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #74
We started tent camping when the kids were young, moved on to a pop up (used), a small (21ft) travel trailer and this last year (kids grown and moved out) bought a 2012 TT. Have 2 used crew cab pickups (2006 & 2002) one to pull camper and one for boat also bought last year and a 2012. We do however live in Williston ND in the middle of an oil boom, and yes we know we are fortunate and that it won't last forever, they never do.
Dennis and Julie
2012 Flagstaff 30WFKSS
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 nights reserved/camped 46/71
2014 nights reserved/camped 6/21
Dennis and Julie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #75
Great thread

Wife and I are in the work our buts off group DW has 2 jobs, Hair dresser and in home health care I work 60 plus hours per week. We do not have children but do have 3 large dogs 2 of which are rescues. We to take good care of what we have and slowly have up graded over the past 12 to 15 years to the 9yr old truck and 5th wheel combo we currently have.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #76
I have an entry level truck and an entry level camper... both bought new fairly recently... but for both it boiled down to getting better payments on new than used. So... if I'm worried about keeping my payments low, I'm definitely not rich lol
If you don't like my opinion, I'll give you a full refund on what you paid me for it.
ridersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #77
Because my bank said "No"for the Motorhome!lol
John, Lilly & the kids.
2013 Surveyor Select SV 305
2011 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #78
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
Sharpey312013 FR Wildwood 26TBSS owner
Sharpey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #79
Worked hard- all the overtime , night work , holidays. - you name I worked it. DH worked 3 Jobs sometimes - usually just 2. And.... Thanks to a relative's bequest were able to pay off the house. So retirement, which Was nice got nicer. Now we're enjoying our retirement and spending our kids inheritance. They won't need it, they're doctors. Lol
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #80
Camper Less Camping
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
X2...LOL...but we're saving for one WAY in the future

2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is online now   Reply With Quote