Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Incheon, S. Korea

Why can we all afford trailers?

Just something an American living overseas notices - all the news I see talks about how bad things are in America, yet it seems like a lot of people are getting new trailers, trucks, etc.
Are we in the upper-class?
Seriously, I always love to talk to successful people and find out what they do.
We do well in Korea because we have a unique skill-set (speak English and Korean) and know how to run a business.
How does everyone else afford such nice trailers and trucks? And especially, how do some travel so much?
Be discreet, but it would be interesting to find out the demographics of people here.
Business owner, dot.com millionaire, frugal, work your butt off, old money...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
DDC

The news hear reports that Europe is is in a horrible mess but all the people I know there are just like us, doing ok but not progressing, only the rich are doing great!
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Just like in my area our economy is bad up to 20% unemployment but that does't mean that everyone is unemployed.....There are still alot of us with jobs, DW & Myself have been blessed in that respect....... Not upper class by any means bought a 6 year old truck to tow with & a low priced quality built camper both of which we are paying on......... we come under the work your butt off group.... but I can see where others might think we have alot........Both of us basically work two or more jobs each..............not cause we have to as much as we want to........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Just something an American living overseas notices - all the news I see talks about how bad things are in America, yet it seems like a lot of people are getting new trailers, trucks, etc.
Are we in the upper-class?
Seriously, I always love to talk to successful people and find out what they do.
We do well in Korea because we have a unique skill-set (speak English and Korean) and know how to run a business.
How does everyone else afford such nice trailers and trucks? And especially, how do some travel so much?
Be discreet, but it would be interesting to find out the demographics of people here.
Business owner, dot.com millionaire, frugal, work your butt off, old money...
we are in the work your butt off group.been lucky to keep going...hope all is well for you over there.
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

We come under the group that worked their butts off for 45 yrs and made do with what we had. We are now retired with everything paid for and are enjoying it while our health is still reasonably good. As both of our boys tell us laughingly, "Out pi--ing away our inheritance." and we answer with "You better believe it!"

We started with nothing and still have most of it!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #6

There is a lot of money floating around, both 'old' money and new. But it simply isn't spread around very evenly. Many people get paid far more than they are worth, with an equal number getting paid poverty wages for hard work.
On a site like this, one will obviously get a distorted view of things, as those who are having a hard time feeding their kids will obviously not be posting here.
We should all consider ourselves so very fortunate to have this luxury.
Easter is a good time to reflect upon that, don't you think?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

I'm blessed with a job I love (17 years as a police officer and K9 handler for last 7). i work many hours But I don't really consider it work because I truly love my job.

I try and save all winter so that I can enjoy our family vacations in the summer with out the stress of "how am u going to pay for this?"

The reason why we got into camping was because after the initial investment, the cost of going on a family vacation dropped considerably allowing us to vacation more.

Where before camping we were limited to one trip a year, now with the camper we average 6 trips a year.
Auto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

26 years of being a Paramedic and taking minimal time off, I am bound and determined to make the years our son has left at home memorable for him and us. I don't want to look back and have to say "I wish I had". No doubt, it is hard. But I will do what is necessary to spend time with my family in the outdoor setting. I want him to respect and interact with nature, not just some dumb video game.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #9

Cut expenses, live within your means.
We've had many years living paycheck to paycheck. My wife has been at the same employer for 17 years and has been promoted several times. Her income covers the regular household bills. We bought our house in '99 and didn't buy as much house as the mortgage people said we could and we've refi'd a couple of times. So while the cost of living has gone up our mortgage and home energy bills are lower now than when we moved in 14 years ago!

New car wise, i'm 50 and we bought a new '13 silverado. That's my 5th new car. (86 S10, 89 S10, 88 Jeep, 96 voyager). I've had loans on them and sorta on our last 'round' of cars (home equity line of credit).

The house could use siding, i'd love to repave the driveway, add a barn/workshop but don't have the money for these things at this time. Maybe if we'd not bought the camper...but quality of life - camping with the kids - has some 'value' beyond dollars and cents. We want to 'grow' good kids that become good citizens.

And they'll have to take care of us in our old age as we're not saving for retirement in any meaningful way.

Camping is NOT a poor mans activity. A 15k camper, a $40k tow vehicle and $50 a night compared to perhaps, $100/night in a hotel and a $25k car (with better mileage and cheaper tires).

I'm still amazed at other people - our house cost $115k and might be worth $160k today - across the street they've built 5 new $250-350k homes in the past 7 months (yes, over the winter). A friend just sold their house (175k) and bought one (285k) and only one income.

I think much of the problem with the economy is perception. But then i'm living in an area that didn't have a very bad time. If shell comes through they're to build at least 1 (perhaps 2) billion dollar frack gas refineries here.

College attendance is at an all time high - and an all time high cost. Go figure.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
there is a lot of money floating around, both 'old' money and new. But it simply isn't spread around very evenly. Many people get paid far more than they are worth, with an equal number getting paid poverty wages for hard work.
On a site like this, one will obviously get a distorted view of things, as those who are having a hard time feeding their kids will obviously not be posting here.
We should all consider ourselves so very fortunate to have this luxury.
Easter is a good time to reflect upon that, don't you think?
x 2!!!
Work hard! Play hard! Should save more,Kid's will only be ours "in house" for a short time. Try to enjoy!
10 yr old truck,payment on camper,two other old payed for vehicles, keep it simple, be thankful!
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #11

Actually the U.S. government has a secret entitlement program that pays for the campers so we don't have to.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #12

We worked hard, both retiring from the military. Paid all credit debt as well as vehicle and rv loans. We live within our means and take great care and maintain what we have. We save for what we want and recognize what is an actual "need" versus a "want".

In a down turned housing market, we've had a real estate agent call us because they had a buyer who wanted to pay cash for our home - which by the way, isnt even for sale. Apparently the buyers didnt like the model like ours thats been on the market for awhile....but we have obvious outdoor improvements and they dont.

We work hard to stay disciplined to keep our financial status in line with our retirement goals. I want to be able to have funds to goof around and still pay the usual living expenses. I have a "wag the dog" mentality for why the media posts negativity.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #13

Don't forget, RV loans were easier to get than a house loan. This is one of the reasons there are a lot of people who are can afford RVs. I am one of them.
We are struggling a bit now, due to higher prices for everything and hasn't gotten a raise in three years. So we have less camping trips, but we have faith that we will get over this soon.

Dave
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We come under the group that worked their butts off for 45 yrs and made do with what we had. We are now retired with everything paid for and are enjoying it while our health is still reasonably good. As both of our boys tell us laughingly, "Out pi--ing away our inheritance." and we answer with "You better believe it!"

We started with nothing and still have most of it!
OC could not have said it any better. We have worked all of our lives to do this before we kick off.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #15

my family affords a new trailer because we do without smartphones, going out to eat all the time, I work my ass off, my wife does a great job with the bills and kids. I drive a used car back and forth to work and I sold my last house and built my current home, all by myself

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 PM   #16

not sure if I'm done paying on the wife ??

I have always enjoyed campers, RV's trailers etc.
I think that it is an old American thing
grandpa had a camper on his truck for many years
when I was a young paperboy
I would fold my newspapers in there on cold mornings
one of my first vehicles was a pop top VW camper van
I was always hoping to show it to my girlfriends
then later in life came the motorhomes and now a trailer

for a simple unit
these RV things used don't really cost that much
and they bring much pleasure
nothing better than hitting the road
kind of like bringing ones
small home with them

typical retired American
nothing special
but
I have been blessed with
a sweet God loving and fearing wife
a house in the mountains
and many pets

everything paid for except the tow vehicle
got it with the 0 interest from Toyota

Mountainman

PS
yes I almost forgot
I worked for 40 years straight
it does pay off if one works hard
although I enjoyed many well used units when younger
I can buy nicer and newer ones now
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Incheon, S. Korea

I love this! I hope more chime in...

Thank you all for sharing. I hope more people tell their story here.

We are all blessed.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #18

where do all good things come from ??

Quote:

We are all blessed.
glad that you brought that up
many around the world today celebrate Easter
that is the one in which my wife and I thank for everything we own
for we know where all good things truly come from

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Thank you all for sharing. I hope more people tell their story here.

We are all blessed.
We certainly feel blessed. I never gave going to college a second thought after graduating from HS in 1960. I enlisted in the USAF and was assigned to be an aircraft mechanic. I served my 4 years.

Long story short - I worked for a major air carrier from 1969 to 1976 and was laid off from that. I eventually signed on with the FAA in 1980 and retired in 2011. I made what I thought was a good salary ( six figures ) during my career and my DW managed our money well and we paid off our hours early.

To wrap this up, we have always lived within our means plus having a good government retirement pension and SS has allowed us to do what we have always reasonably wanted to do.

I feel somewhat sorry for the younger people just starting out today, but feel that we still live in the greatest country on the planet.

I feel that I have been very fortunate that I never having gone to college have been able to obtain my station in life. But having said that, I do not believe that having a college degree in your back pocket is a sure way of having a successful life and more young people might consider a technical trade in today's world.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #20

We work our butts off. I am 33, a carpenter for a custom home builder and I have been with the same employer for 11 years now working 45-50 hrs a week year round (up to 60hrs usually 2-4 weeks a year), never been layed off. My DW is 31, a replenishment planner and global trainer for the one of the worlds largest furniture manufactures. She has been with her employer for 6 years and has gotten numerous promotions over the last 3 years, she is limited to 50hrs a week.

We don't live high off the hog. Our house was built in 1964, although I have remodeled 90% of it and finished off over 50% of the basement in the last 9 years. My truck is a 2004 and paid for, my wife car is 2005 and paid for. So we only have 3 loans out (house, camper, wife student loans).
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote