Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #31

I don't know what the problem is....I have a FR dealer 2 miles from my house. I bought my Rockwood 1.5 hrs away. I am taking it back to them for warranty work. Is it inconvenient? Yep. Did I save money by driving 1.5 hrs? Yep. Over $2000. Just take it back to where you bought it. It wasn't too far to go when you drove there to make your purchase, right? Besides, after the 1yr. warranty, you can do whatever you want.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo
Cause they want to teach you a lesson for not buying from them .
So true but what they do't get is the fact that if they burn you for work that they get reimbursed for in the end - it means that they will most likely get a justifiably bad sales referral from you that they burned.
Local dealer here refused me service. No big deal. Went down the road. FR reimbursed me at full rate. I now purchase most of my RV stuff from them and if it comes time to trade up.... Guess who gets the quid. Not the local FR dealer.
One good burn deserves another but 30 G's is a bigger hurt than not getting1200 worth of work done.
"silly dealers - tricks are for kids". I personally play with the big boys and girls to win.

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #33
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
What Forest River pays dealers for warranty work is not my business, that is between the dealers and Forest River. If you buy your RV local and it is assumed that you will take it somewere and it brakes down and they come and tow it to the closest dealer, that will not be the dealer that you bought it from, and you are far away from home and then they tell you we will not work on it becauses you didn't buy it here. That is not so good for Forest River it would seem.
just so you know, this is an industry-wide issue, not just a FR issue.
many RV dealers are this way, no matter what brand, FR or not, they sell.
and it's the same for other brands, not just FR, when it comes to getting dealers to work on rigs that they didn't sell.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #34

warranty work!

I don't know if there is and industry standard so to speak, but I have recently gone the theh same with Jayco.
I bought a tt from them, saved $2800 (less expenses) by driving from SC to Little Rock, AR to pickup a Skylark. Sure there were warranty issues in a couple months, a local dealer in Columbia, SC would not work on it because i did't buy from them. Another Jayco dealer in Greenwood, SC worked on it twice, the second time I was "blindsided" I call it by doing the work and then telling me it was not a warranty issue.....bam $180 please Calling Jayco, they say every dealer gets paid for warranty work, looks like the Greenwood dealer go paid twice but denied it.
Then called a dealer in NC, Terrell Camping Center, great folks, asked no question about purchase location but welcomed my warranty work and did it well, Thanks Bobby!!
So that's my story and now I purchase a 06 FR Sunseeker with a couple issues that I may not be able to handle my self......soooooo we'll see soon about work although it won't be under warranty!
ttaylor
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek

There's at least one wiseguy in every forum group.

Be glad your RV isn't made in China. Yet. Shipping would be intermodel via container ship. Those cheapass Chinese RV tires should be your first warning. Caused poor guy $7K damage on another thread here.
Where do you think all the components come from? It's just that they aren't doing the assembly yet.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #36
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Where do you think all the components come from? It's just that they aren't doing the assembly yet.
Dometic, Suburban, GE, etc. all make the appliances in our RVs here in the USA. But the parts that go into those appliances...............you are right, they come from shops in China were kids work on assembly lines for pennies on the dollar. Plumbing, carpet, walls, roofs, frames, etc. Same story I bet. Welcome to the global economy.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #37
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
just so you know, this is an industry-wide issue, not just a FR issue.
many RV dealers are this way, no matter what brand, FR or not, they sell.
and it's the same for other brands, not just FR, when it comes to getting dealers to work on rigs that they didn't sell.
Just a guess on my end. I suspect that past pattern has been repair dealers never got reimbursed for the service work from the original selling dealers. So they said screw that and only do warranty work for customers they sold to as then payment is a non issue.

IF the RV dealers would run warranty work like car dealers do, problem would go away. Car dealers get the work preinspected, authorized, and funds transfer blessed so repair dealer gets payed. Then the repair job actually starts. Autobody repair industry works the same way. 3rd party aftermarket extended warranty......same drill. Why RV dealers can't evolve and fix the problem is yet to be seen.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Why RV dealers can't evolve and fix the problem is yet to be seen.
An outdated and ineffective part of the RV culture, I think. Just a weird way to run an industry.

And, its not solely the dealer's fault. I think both the manufacturers and dealer network share the blame.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
An outdated and ineffective part of the RV culture, I think. Just a weird way to run an industry.

And, its not solely the dealer's fault. I think both the manufacturers and dealer network share the blame.
Totally agree! I'm not for government intervention in most cases, but in this case to protect the consumer something needs to be done.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #40
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Just a guess on my end. I suspect that past pattern has been repair dealers never got reimbursed for the service work from the original selling dealers. So they said screw that and only do warranty work for customers they sold to as then payment is a non issue.
dealers get paid by the MANUFACTURER, whether they are the original selling dealer or not, for doing warranty work. has nothing to do with who sold it.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote