Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
daydreaming about camping

why do dealers turn down warranty service?

Looking at a new trailer - and cannot get over the mindset of local dealers. We have been told, by the folks who claim to be the largest FR dealer in the area, that if we buy anywhere else they will REFUSE to service it under warranty.

Does FR not reimburse the dealer for warranty work?

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #2

I have heard that in the RV world that the Dealers are not required to do warranty work on units they did not sell. I think that FR does reimburse the dealer for the work, but it is at a reduced rate then what the general public would pay.

They are in the business to make money, if they can't make money by doing warranty work on units they didn't sell, I wouldn't do it either and I don't blame them. But that is my opinion.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cause they want to teach you a lesson for not buying from them .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Cause they want to teach you a lesson for not buying from them .
I think that is true too. But it is what it is.... Can't have your cake and eat it too... I'm just full of cliches.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with everything above: they are not required to do warranty work on trailers they do not sell and they use that power to force/scare people to buy from them. That's an industry wide practice.

I had bought used up until 18 months ago and was never told I couldn't get serviced at a place (because I didn't buy from them). But then I was always dealing with the service manager who was more than happy for my business. The fact these trailers were out of warranty played into that, I'm sure.

Three things you could try:

Talk with the service manager and see if he feels the same way as the sales guy. He might put you at the back of the line behind their purchasing clients, but the work would get done.

If that doesn't work, call FR and have them find a dealer near you willing to do the work.

Consider an independent service shop. You might have to pay upfront and get reimbursement directly from FR. Make sure to get pre-clearance on warranty items first.

Hope some of the helps. Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #6

Just another tactic. Anyone who'd say that to me would get zero future business.

Can understand that they're regular customers would get in line ahead of me, that isn't a problem.

But a check is a check, as they say. They get paid to do the work from FR. So they should be happy to do it.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
But a check is a check, as they say. They get paid to do the work from FR. So they should be happy to do it.
Not if they can make more money working on units that pay a higher rate. I'm sure they don't feel they need to give someone who didn't buy from them any favors. Now if they had service tech's standing around doing nothing, then something is better than nothing. Every RV repair shop I've been in that's not the case.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

I hardly think that doing repair work or warranty work, when that is what you do, is doing anyone a favor! No matter who you are doing warranty work for, FR pays the same rate. Forest River states in their sales add to buy local. But who would pay thousands of dollars more to buy local, yes thousands more. Some of those wholesale/lower cost dealers have list of repair shopr that will do warranty work for Forest River and they will pay them.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #9

to set the record straight, no dealer has to do warranty work on any RV if sold by them or not, it is a courtesy for their customers, the manufacturer warrants the product and they will repair any RV manufactured by and returned to them for warranty work..
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I hardly think that doing repair work or warranty work, when that is what you do, is doing anyone a favor! No matter who you are doing warranty work for, FR pays the same rate.
That is true, warranty work is warranty work, but buy buying from a local dealer, their company has made money from the original sale. Maybe even, yes thousands more. Whereas they didn't make a dime from someone who didn't buy from them. Like I said before, can't have your cake and eat it too. I would love for life to be that way, but it's not. The OP asked why, I think the reasons I gave are why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Forest River states in their sales add to buy local. But who would pay thousands of dollars more to buy local, yes thousands more. Some of those wholesale/lower cost dealers have list of repair shopr that will do warranty work for Forest River and they will pay them.
That is great, it would seem to work for some and not for others. This has nothing to do with the OP though.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I agree with everything above: they are not required to do warranty work on trailers they do not sell and they use that power to force/scare people to buy from them. That's an industry wide practice.

I had bought used up until 18 months ago and was never told I couldn't get serviced at a place (because I didn't buy from them). But then I was always dealing with the service manager who was more than happy for my business. The fact these trailers were out of warranty played into that, I'm sure.

Three things you could try:

Talk with the service manager and see if he feels the same way as the sales guy. He might put you at the back of the line behind their purchasing clients, but the work would get done.

If that doesn't work, call FR and have them find a dealer near you willing to do the work.

Consider an independent service shop. You might have to pay upfront and get reimbursement directly from FR. Make sure to get pre-clearance on warranty items first.

Hope some of the helps. Good luck.
Also consider a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, refusing service to customers is not considered too classy in their eyes.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Also consider a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, refusing service to customers is not considered too classy in their eyes.
I'm not sure the BBB would care because there was no transaction. It seems to me that a customer doesn't have to go to a business and that business doesn't need to take a new customer. Where's the poor service, as in, "they wrecked my camper while working on it"? Or, "they overcharged me"?

Poor business decision - probably. Poor service - No.

I think the confusion comes in when we think that the dealer is tied to the manufacturer closer than it really is.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Down here in the states, a company can refuse service for allot of reasons. "No shirt, no shoes, no service." There are federal laws concerning discrimination which would not apply. I am not a lawyer however. I'm not even sure the issue is service. It's how it is paid. Warranty or out of pocket.

Not trying to be a smart *****, I really don't know if the laws in Canada are different.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #14

Think this thread is going down a rabbit hole.

The point I was trying to make is that you can either accept the threat and maybe pay more to buy your RV there, or decide not to and take your business elsewhere. You may have to put up with some inconvenience on service with that choice. It really is that simple.

There is no "making" someone do warranty work on your RV, even if you bought it there. Then again, why would you want someone working on it that clearly does not want to?
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #15

Don't know about Forest River but dh repaired campers at a dealership for a living and used to hate to do warranty work. They were reimbursed less than shop rate and would have to wait 6-8 weeks to get the check.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Think this thread is going down a rabbit hole.

The point I was trying to make is that you can either accept the threat and maybe pay more to buy your RV there, or decide not to and take your business elsewhere. You may have to put up with some inconvenience on service with that choice. It really is that simple.

There is no "making" someone do warranty work on your RV, even if you bought it there. Then again, why would you want someone working on it that clearly does not want to?
I agree....
Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Trailer Trash

Call dealer you bought from. RV's are meant to be used all over the USA and Canada. Dealer will hook you up with a service center that will fix it that would be local to were you currently are.

I have a Columbus - there is only 1 Columbus dealer in Minnesota. Columbus, Palomino, then Forest River is my path to repair centers. I didn't buy local and I sure as hell don't buy parts and accessories from the local Columbus dealer. The sooner dealers figure out selling via the internet means additional revenue for them, the better off they will be.

Most RV dealers are old school dinasours catering to retired or dang near retired folks. Most of those folks are not too quick to search the WWW for the best value much less buy something over the internet. Granted some do, but they are the exception.

The next generation of RV owners buy things via their I-Pad, Galaxie, laptop, smartphone, etc. when they are chilling out enjoying their campfire. That age group wants things NOW, not when their local dealer can get around to doing something for them.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
Trailer Trash

Dealers need to change with the times. If they don't, some one else will do it for them!

Watch this commercial - this is how I roll.

What once seemed wildley impractical, is now completely normal. And normal begs to be messed with. AMAZON!
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek
Call dealer you bought from. RV's are meant to be used all over the USA and Canada. Dealer will hook you up with a service center that will fix it that would be local to were you currently are.

I have a Columbus - there is only 1 Columbus dealer in Minnesota. Columbus, Palomino, then Forest River is my path to repair centers. I didn't buy local and I sure as hell don't buy parts and accessories from the local Columbus dealer. The sooner dealers figure out selling via the internet means additional revenue for them, the better off they will be.

Most RV dealers are old school dinasours catering to retired or dang near retired folks. Most of those folks are not too quick to search the WWW for the best value much less buy something over the internet. Granted some do, but they are the exception.

The next generation of RV owners buy things via their I-Pad, Galaxie, laptop, smartphone, etc. when they are chilling out enjoying their campfire. That age group wants things NOW, not when their local dealer can get around to doing something for them.
Cheers !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #20

Finding a box big enough to UPS your camper back in for warranty work will be a slight problem though...LOL