Old 08-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
Buy a $50 Sony Blue Ray unit and a HDMI cable and have at it.
that's exactly what we did, plus replaced the original 24" tv with a 32" Sharp,..... couldn't be more pleased with the results

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Because most are camping and not in their home theater room.

Seriously unless you have a 50'+ tv, do you really need BluRay?
We aren't always camping. Our TT also doubles as a private hotel when we are visiting places or family.

I have a number of BluRay discs along with DVD's and due to this want the ability to play them in our trailer. I added a BluRay in our trailer to get this ability but it was a decent amount of work to get it installed to look like it was professionally done. It would have been nice to have the option of having a factory installed player since all we want is to watch an occasional movie.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Your Blu-Ray unit is a Blu-Ray player... that can also play DVD's. (Whether they are two different internals, I don't know.)

A DVD player cannot play Blu-Ray Discs. If it could, it would not be a DVD player... it would be a Blu-Ray player.

But I agree... why are these new units coming with DVD players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OOOKKK, I stand corrected....I think. We have a Blu-Ray player that came with the unit. I stick a DVD in it and it plays. I have no idea what a "Blu-Ray Disc" is. Never seen one! I will back out of this conversation and plead ignorance.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #14
Old Camping Squid

I appreciate all you your feed back, I guess I will just keep using my external blu-ray player and get myself a good car dvd player. I have seen a few nice looking double height units that can be easily modified to fit.
Thank you all for your time and information.
To answer about the why the need for blu-ray " wife and 4 granddaughters " enough said on that!
2005 Club Car President
2002 Ezgo Limo, 2001 Ezgo
Eagle-751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
OOOKKK, I stand corrected....I think. We have a Blu-Ray player that came with the unit. I stick a DVD in it and it plays. I have no idea what a "Blu-Ray Disc" is. Never seen one! I will back out of this conversation and plead ignorance.
It's a specific format that was started by Sony. It has a higher resolution and better sound quality than a regular DVD. You should see the Blu-ray logo on the player. You can see the Blu-ray logo on the covers of movie discs, as well. Here is an example. See far left of picture. Sorry the picture is turned sideways.

Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #16

Our Elite (same as Concert one) doesn't have blu ray capability. I picked up a refurbished Blu Ray player from Amazon for 39 bucks last month and all is well again!

We usually don't rent or buy HD Blu Ray movies but occasionally DW doesn't pay attention and buys an entire TV or Movie series that is HD. Having a backup DVD player is also a benefit!

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Streaming-...blu-ray+player
Old 08-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #17
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
A BluRay is just the latest standard. Basically high def DVD plus. BR will hold 5-6 times as much data and uses different format. But it knows all about DVD and CD formats so it does it all.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2013 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #18

A Blu-Ray player is much closer in design to a computer than it is to a DVD player. It is a constantly changing format and requires it's firmware to be upgraded at times to enable it to play all discs. It is backward compatible meaning that it can play older discs and disc formats like cd's an dvd's. It is possible you will never come across a blu-ray disc that won't play without being upgraded but if you purchase them on a regular basis you will. The players themselves mostly are wifi enabled and will update themselves as needed without you knowing it has happened other than maybe getting a message upon start up.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #19

The cost increase to standardize the upgrade isn't worth it for the manufacturers because the demand simply isn't there.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray98 View Post
The cost increase to standardize the upgrade isn't worth it for the manufacturers because the demand simply isn't there.
I agree. With the advent of Netflix, on demand, Hulu, and the like, combined with DVR we haven't bought a DVD or Blu-ray disc in years.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote