Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
Old Fart

YouTube Rant for Dealerships

This may not be the best venue for this...but in case any RV dealership sales staff monitor this site. PLEASE WORK ON UPPING YOUR GAME!!

Apparently every sales person out there is looking to sell to some individual or couple who are COMPLETE MORONS in regards to RVs. Someone who doesn't know the difference between a Class A and a Class C motor home. Someone who has never, EVER been inside an RV.

You want to sell RVs? Try making some sales videos geared toward people that are already RV owners and are looking to make a change. You don't need to explain about frameless windows and electric awnings and where you hook up the utilities. We KNOW all that, already. SELL THE UNIT!

Some of my issues with sales videos...

1) PLEASE get someone ELSE to run the camera. That way you are free to use BOTH hands to demonstrate the coach. You don't have to switch between thinking what you are going to say and figuring out how to use the camera. While we're talking photography...STOP taking shots inside the unit that totally wash out because of the light coming through the window from outside. It shows that you didn't really think the video through very much. Pull down the shades. Turn ON the lights.

2) SELL THE UNIT! Stop trying to convince me to buy YOUR unit because of the shoddy building practices of others. I usually put the Mute button on because I get SOOOoooooo tired of hearing "Most manufacturers don't do this...". NEWSFLASH. Yes, they do! MOST manufacturers offer competitive products. Tell me why I should purchase YOUR unit; not why I shouldn't purchase the other guys unit.

3) STOP LYING!! When you point out the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen and boldly say that "Most manufacturers don't offer this." HORSE HOCKEY!! Just about everybody has a FF near the kitchen. So either you are not aware of what your competition does...which make you ignorant (and not someone I want to do business with)...or you are outright saying something that you know is not the case (which makes you a LIAR; which is assuredly not someone I want to do business with).

4) SHOW OFF EVERYTHING! Don't waste your time telling me about the suction bonded walls or the heavily insulated floors. I've likely already visited the manufacturers website and I'm aware of their building practices. SELL THE UNIT! If the seats of the chairs in the dinnette fold up for storage...then SHOW me that. If the table expands...then SHOW me that. If the unit has a sofa that converts into a bed somehow...SHOW me that. If the unit has an electric fireplace...TURN IT ON! Let us see it for ourselves. (Caveat: One thing you do NOT need to show us is the inside of the refrigerator. Trust me, we've all seen one.) Open the cabinets and the drawers. Don't tell me it has "lots of storage"...SHOW me.

5) Plan ahead. If it's a really windy day, then either use a wind protector on the microphone or use a headset. Do you know how unprofessional it looks when you're standing outside trying to show off the unit and the PA system goes off so we can't understand what you're saying? Or a train goes by blaring it's horn. PLAN AHEAD!

I don't mean to sound mean...but from my experience talking to other RVs there's a whole heck of a lot more of us that know the difference between frameless windows and those in frames than total newbies. Produce some videos for the real buyers out there.

One last thing. If you're trying to sell something OTHER THAN a motor home...please stop talking about all the ways that the unit is LIKE a motor home. We're watching a video about something OTHER than a motor home. Seriously, if we wanted a motor home, we'd be watching videos about them. SELL THE UNIT!

Rant over....thank you for your time.

Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and these ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance. - Robert F Kennedy
Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #2

Cool rant. Your fingers must be smoking... LOL

Old 03-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedude View Post
You want to sell RVs? Try making some sales videos geared toward people that are already RV owners and are looking to make a change. You don't need to explain about frameless windows and electric awnings and where you hook up the utilities. We KNOW all that, already. SELL THE UNIT!

4) SHOW OFF EVERYTHING! Don't waste your time telling me about the suction bonded walls or the heavily insulated floors. I've likely already visited the manufacturers website and I'm aware of their building practices. SELL THE UNIT! If the seats of the chairs in the dinnette fold up for storage...then SHOW me that. If the table expands...then SHOW me that. If the unit has a sofa that converts into a bed somehow...SHOW me that. If the unit has an electric fireplace...TURN IT ON! Let us see it for ourselves. (Caveat: One thing you do NOT need to show us is the inside of the refrigerator. Trust me, we've all seen one.) Open the cabinets and the drawers. Don't tell me it has "lots of storage"...SHOW me.
So, let me understand - don't show me the awning or hookups, but turn on the electric fireplace?

I personally want to see where the hookups are. ESPECIALLY the sewer connections and pull handles because many SUCK with their placements. I want to know if the electrical cord connection is directly below the city water or fresh water tank fill.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiedude View Post
Apparently every sales person out there is looking to sell to some individual or couple who are COMPLETE MORONS in regards to RVs. Someone who doesn't know the difference between a Class A and a Class C motor home. Someone who has never, EVER been inside an RV.
So, by your logic- someone who is inexperienced and wants to learn about RVs is a "COMPLETE MORON".

Must be nice to know everything about everything.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Site Team

The site team is closing this thread to further posts while we review it's purpose. It doesn't appear to be anything that the general membership is going to be capable of helping with.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
Closed Thread

Tags
dealer