Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Zero down financing.

So we're looking at buying a travel trailer. I did some basic research and determined that we wanted something about 30ft and about 6000 lbs based on our tow vehicle ('13 Ford Expedition), and number of campers (4 to 6). With no other preconceptions we went shopping.
The first dealer showed us something made by Cruiser RV and told us it was a "special deal" because he picked it up from another dealer that went out of business. MSRP of $35k but he was selling it for $19.5k. He also said that he would write the deal up at $25.5k with a "$6000 down payment" so we could get it for zero down. We told him we would talk about it and kept shopping.
At the next place we found a Wildwood X-Lite that we like better. ( Which is why I'm here.) There I noticed the MSRP was $27k and the posted sale price was $18.9k. This dealer only offered to throw in an "anti-sway" hitch worth about $375.
1. Is there usually that large of a difference in MSRP vs deal price?
2. Anybody seen a "phantom" down payment like that before?
Is it hard to get a zero down deal without being dishonest?

The x-lite model we're looking at is the 281QBXL.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Most trailers will be sold between 25 and 35% off MSRP.
Motor homes a bit more.

Deals vary based on financing options, trade ins, and dealer "glitz" (like stupid paint protection, stupid extended warranties, and other PURE money makers for the dealership.)

Not unheard of to get 40% or more off MSRP.

Yes Virginia, there is a lot of "fluff" in dealer prices.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #3

Please determine what you can safely tow before buying anything.

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

Yes, the difference in MSRP and actual selling price can vary that much and you should expect it.

As for the ''phantom' down payment, I have done that a long time ago on a car deal.
I had my own bank financing and I had them write it up that way so I would not have a down payment. The only catch to it is that the bank has to have a loan value high enough in their book.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #5

1/3 off is common. NOTHING is free. You are paying for it somehow, it's all smoke and mirrors. They are in it to make money, even though they want you to think they are losing money.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
Please determine what you can safely tow before buying anything.
We have a 2013 Ford Expedition 4X4, 5.4L V8, and tow package. It has the integrated brake controller from the factory.
Ford says it will tow 9200lbs, so I figure a max dry weight of 6000lbs is a comfortable margin.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #7

Our recent purchase was sort of like this. Dealer called me and said something like, "Yay congrats you're all approved, here's the terms, etc etc... just bring your 4,000 down and we'll get it going." Ummmm, excuse me? LOL

So we went to our credit union, financed it for a shorter term (for around the same payment) and paid no money down on our 38,600 OTD stealth. If you have access to a credit union definitely look into that option.

I personally get the extended warranty and yes we have had to use them so it's worth it to me.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyB View Post
We have a 2013 Ford Expedition 4X4, 5.4L V8, and tow package. It has the integrated brake controller from the factory.
Ford says it will tow 9200lbs, so I figure a max dry weight of 6000lbs is a comfortable margin.
Just as important is your maximum payload. I used to tow with an Expedition and ignored that because my tow cap was 8900. Well lets just say my transmission did not care that my TT was only 6200 lbs fully loaded. It went out after three years and I was stuck footing the bill. My guess is that if you will have 4 people in your Expedition plus the tongue weight of the TT you will exceed your payload. SUVs are heavier with the extra weight from the cab and tend to have lower payload cap. The 2013 may be beefier than the 2008 I had but I also had the max tow package on mine and was still over max payload despite being under the tow cap.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

Our recent order is over $65k with zero down financing if that helps. We ordered from Lori Carte at RV Wholesalers in Ohio and added a 4-year warranty, hitch and sales tax into the deal. Plan is to accelerate the payoff to 4 years. I only say that because we did not want to take a lot of cash out of the bank for down payment and taxes. We also did not have a trade. I know Ohio is a drive from Alabama, but may be worth a call to compare prices.
TexasFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #10

A lot of loan flexibility is based on your credit score and STABILITY!
Lenders want loans repaid, not repos.
Remember, these are DEPRECIATING ASSET TOYS and when you need to get a bigger unit, likely you will be significantly upside down. Rolling negative equity is not as easy as years past. So, buy your unit and try to stay in a wholesale value balance position ASAP as you WILL want to trade again! ( Soon ).

Good luck and travel safe!