Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Looking for Tsunami owners...

I just joined the Forest River Forum - have owned a 39'-2005 Tsunami purchasing it new in early 2006. Initial shakedown problems, but since then my wife and I love this unit. It has features that only today's premium motorhomes introduce to their coaches. As far as I've been told by Elkhart personnel, there were only about 112 of these coaches made (that includes all configurations). I've seen six of them as we've travelled around the country since purchasing the unit. Wouldn't it be great to identify "where all our kin are located"?! This forum seems like a good place to do it.

I have complete documentation with mine, so that helps. But, still nice to toss out problems/issues that arise occasionally for comment by other Tsunami owners. I'd love to see as much of the Tsunami community identify themselves as possible. Wouldn't it be great to have an occasional Tsunami retreat somewhere in the country?!!

Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Writing this on 3/17/2015; so "Happy St Patrick's Day" to all.
Country Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

I have one of them ... 36' 2004 Tsunami 3508QS. Currently, it's in the FL Keys but unfortunately its back to NYS soon. It's been a great coach for me.
.... Steve
Svango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #3

I have one, in Virginia. 2005 4104QS. Love it.
Ben-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #4

Hi! Glad you also enjoy your Tsunami. Did you notice in the RV magazines that only the new top of line models feature the amenities we have in ours, and which came "standard"? When we bought ours from a dealer in Wisconsin back in '06, he mentioned something about possibility of a annual Tsunami owners group get together. Guess that never materialized..... Thanks much for your response; and happy trails with your outstanding motorhome! -Al L
Old 04-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

We bought our 05 used in 2011, and that is why we decided on the Tsunami. As you mentioned it has some amenities that only a few of the high line coaches had at that time, and some that even those high line coaches are only now offering! We have had our issues but none that anyone might not expect from a used coach (with all the systems on board a motorcoach these days) but they were covered under an extended warranty we purchased with the coach (thankfully!)
Old 04-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #6

We purchased our 2005 41ft Tsunami in 2011. Looked around for a sturdy, well appointed and manufactured Coach. We often pull a 3 horse slant trailer to horse shows so power and braking features were top of the list. We have had very few problems and have clocked almost 30,000 miles in it. I have large temp controlled shed so over the winter months I do my maintenance and up grades. I have installed dual back up cameras, modified the Aquahot, refurbished all the seals in the air leveling system valves, installed a proportional braking system for the trailers, installed new Freightliner header tank, installed auto retracting air line in front bay and installed 32" flat screen tv in right bay for tailgating. I have been over every inch of my coach. I am currently upgrading the AV system in the coach. I am installing a 40" flat screen TV up front, installing a dedicated wireless system which networks all the TV's, Bluray, satellite and over the air TV sources. I am running the ROOMIE app on an iPad as a universal remote to run all equipment. I have run HDMI throughout the coach replacing the video RCA system. I am also replacing all my lighting with led lights as we do some dry camping at Oshkosh air show and some camp ground and makes a huge difference in power consumption. The coach has many systems on it but if you are mechanically inclined it is easy and accessible to work on. My next major project is to build and install a hydraulic motorcycle lift for my Harley road king bike. Our daughter will be starting college so my wife and I will be doing more trips by ourselves this year. We love the coach and after still many hours comparing newer coaches to ours, we still find our coach superior to the newer rigs out there. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on your coaches systems.
Ricki.Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #7

Hey Riki,
What kind of modification did you do on your Aqua-hot?
Thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-racing View Post
Hey Riki,
What kind of modification did you do on your Aqua-hot?
Thanks
I replaced the PEX tubing and fittings with brass as the PEX is inclined to leak. I installed a new valve to make it easier to remove boiler fluid. Flushed main boiler tank and replaced boiler fluid. I also made it easier to see if any of the fluid lines are properly primed. Had issue with engine return line after removing fluid. Engine driven pump is a challenge to prime so looking into maybe Installing a non return valve but have devised a manual method to get the engine pump primed. Burner fan and nozzle assembly has been fine. No white or black smoke. I ensure I run diesel conditioner all the time for the generator and Aqua hot. Makes a big difference for use up in the north in Iowa.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #9

Thanks Ricki,
I had been looking into trying to add a 2nd electrode for additional heat from Elect but not possible I guess. Can you tell me more about how you replaced the seals in your air leveling valves. Mine is starting to leak down but leak has not been located. Could possibly be the valves?
Ben
Old 05-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #10

Tricky to upgrade the heater electrode. Impacts current load and may cause issues with controller board. I would suggest however that the heater electrode/ element can accumulate scale and diminish heating performance over time so a replacement might help.

As for leveling system, I had the airbags and lines checked when I had the coach in for engine and generator servicing. All good. So isolated air leaks to air valves and manifold. The air leveling system comprises three valves per side, configured on two manifolds - one for the from axles and one for the rear axle. A total of 12 valves. To check valves, remove manifold and valves from
Chassis and lay on Aqua hot system. Using a spray bottle with a liquid soap and water solution, spray over valves and manifold liberally. You will see immediately any leaks ( must have air pressure in tanks ). I found the leaks were around the base of the valves where they connect to the manifold. I would contact the manufacturer (HWM in Iowa I think). and order the valve seal kits and the internal seal kit ( total or three seals per valve). They are inexpensive. To replace the seals, remove the valve from manifold. Best to do with no air pressure in tanks). Disconnect value connection from wiring harness. Remove Ellen to magnetic assembly noting orientation ( top and bottom). Remove the two seals on underside of valve. Clean with soft cloth and remove any dust or old lubricant. Turn valve over and using punch or similar, gently unscrew center shaft assembly from valve base. This will reveal the internal valve that is actuated by the electromagnetic assembly. Ensure this is clean and ensure the valve surface is clean. Remove rubber valve base seal. Replace valve base seal and apply small amount of lubricant on seal ( silicon or similar). Reassemble valve shaft assembly. Replace the two valve seals and add small amount of lubricant to rubber seal. Clean manifold surface of dust, debris and old seal lubricant. Install electromagnetic assembly (correct orientation otherwise value will operate in reverse!!). Then gently screw valve back into manifold and gently tighten. Connect valve to wiring harness. Start coach, build some air pressure, then using soap spray, check value for any leaks.
I found that 4 or the valves were leaking on my coach and I was able to stop all leaks. I found all seals to be dry, cracked, and deformed from being under constant pressure. So I went ahead and replaced all seals in all valves. I actually should have also replaced the internal seal that opens and closes the airflow through the valve as this showed deformation and possible small air leaks. It took me about a day to do this on all 12 valves and reinstall manifolds. Doing one valve at a time is best to avoid possibly incorrectly connecting valve to wiring harness. I now find my coach will maintain air bag pressure for months without any leaks. When camping, once leveled, the auxiliary compressor rarely runs as there is no air leaks. It will only run to compensate for weight changes or settling of the coach. I am very pleased with the leveling system once I replaced all seals and fixed all leaks. Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #11

Thank you very much!! I'm sure this ust be the situation on my coach. I've checked the bags and lines closely and no leaks there. Great instructions!
Ben
Old 07-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #12

Hey do any of you Tsunami owners know what all the antennae's are for on these things. Obviously the on air and Sat and am/fm and CB antennaes are there but these are three others on mine Small square antannea about 11/4"sq. and one somewhat shped like and upside down flower pot about 4" high and 21/2" dia at bottom and the typical sat radio antennae small shark fin looking with a short 2"whip on it. Any ideas???
Old 07-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #13

I only have the standard antennas you mention. Cell phone booster and Wifi over WAN antennas come to mind for the others. Upside down flower pot ??? ..... awning wind sensor?... Steve
Svango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #14

I have a 2005 41 ft Tsunami I purchased new. IT IS THE BIGGEST P.O.S.!!!!! Since day one it has been nothing but problems!!! The original issues were never even fixed by the dealer. One issue which I feel is a safety issue is the The air bags on the right front suspension air down while driving and the controller does not air them back up. This happened on the first trip out and has happened ever since. even after taking it back to the dealer twice. What makes this worse is that when it airs down the wheel is now well into the wheel well and when you have to turn or pull over the wheel ripped through the side of the coach. The dealer said it was not Forest Rivers responsibility it was the Chassis manufacture. Well, Freightliner said it was not their responsibility either. So, The big gash still remains in the side of the coach to this day. Neither could fix the air bag issue, so it's pointless to fix the body as it will happen as soon as you make a turn. Did I mention my coach only has 12k miles.
Oh here's another good one. The bolt broke in the head of the hydraulic cooling fan pump/motor. That was interesting. When your driving along and all the sudden it dumps over a gallon of hydraulic fluid all over the exhaust. It created so much white smoke I couldn't see behind me, nor could any one see through it. Cars swerving off the road left and right I was lucky not to have been hit or worse!
Here's another good one. Fitting on the fuel rail came loose while driving. Dumped gallons of diesel on the engine. How I noticed it was the smell while driving. Once I pulled over and got out I could hear it raining diesel out the back of the coach. I don't know how in the world it didn't catch fire!!!! Although, I WISH IT DID. That would have been the best thing to happen to it. Needless to say I have gotten very good and removing the engine cover to access the engine.
Oh the electrical system... The batteries were dead when we picked it up... Should have been simple fix...Wrong!!! They jumped it and we were on our way. Went to use it first time... Dead batteries. Had to buy a jump pack pack large enough to jump the coach, NOT CHEAP! Went to use it again, DEAD again. Called dealer to come out and replace them, and they did. This didn't fix the issue. To make a long story short, The battery isolater was wired incorrectly and causing all kinds of havoc. It wasn't noticed by the dealer or their mechanics, A buddy of mine was checking out my new coach and instantly spotted it.
Then there are the HUGE cracks in the body panels that were there from day one which the dealer took pictures of and said it would be taken care of......... THEY ARE STILL THERE!!!!
Did I mention I bought this thing new and it only has 12,000 miles on it????
Oh the front AC unit freeze's up and drips all over the floor. Did it from day one, dealer said nothing is wrong with it. I guess it's normal to have to put a bucket on the floor under it when its in use and turn it off to thaw off the ice.
Then there the leaks... I guess it would leak through the cracks in the body.
This coach has been nothing but problems!!!! I wish I could get rid of it, but how???? I paid a small fortune for it, it has huge problems that the dealer, nor Forest River, Nor freight liner will fix. Essentially this coach came with no warranty what so ever. I didn't even mention every problem there are many more. The only thing I do know is, I would NEVER buy a Forest River product again and I warn EVERYONE to stay away from their products. If it helps, stay away from Triangle RV in Greencastle PA, as there is the dealer I purchased it from.
RyanP125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 PM   #15

Ryan P - That's an amazing saga of woes with your Tsunami. A "lemon", it appears. These things all have issues, no matter which manufacturer. Yours seems worse than most, I must say. Bought mine from Adventure RV in Jefferson, WI and they were really helpful in getting things 'right' for me at the onset.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #16

I agree. I know many motor home owners, and everyone of them have issues, but not one with, as you said a "lemon" as this one. I had water pumps fail, no big deal. The brackets that hold up the back of the drawer slide, almost every single one has broken. Even that isn't that big of a deal. Just to fix the cracks in the body and the damage from the wheel would require almost a complete repaint of the coach. I can't even imagine the cost of that. It's very depressing, this was the worst purchase of my life!
RyanP125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM   #17

Hey Any Tsunami owners out there know where the fuse for the storage bay 12v power point fuse is located. Looked at fuse panel and in battery compartment and have not found. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #18

Circuit breaker for Tsunami bays

I haven't had a "black out" in the bays (yet), but first place I'd look if I did is at the small group of breakers hidden behind a velco attached panel at the foot of the bed (floor level). If you have the 41' model, it might not be exactly where mine is, but somewhere down there is the electrical panel I'm referring to.This is the only other location for circuit breakers I'm aware of on the Tsunami. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #19

Thanks Country Guy,
I have the same breaker panel(mine is 41ft as well) but this doesn't seem to be it. The 12v power points (lighter sockets) in my bay and the one under the dinette table have lost power and should be a fuse, but I can't find one in the main outside fuse panel listed or blown? I have a couple of fuses in the battery comp for the solar charger, a couple behinf the Legend panel at the main box for the leveling compressor, and as you mentioned, there is the breaker box under the foot of the bed, but .....man.......I can't find the one for these power points! I'll let you know if I find it.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #20

Anybody know the best method of winterizing the Fisher Paykel dishwasher?

Tags
tsunami