Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

110v Not charging House Batteries

We have a power problem: Shore power is not recharging the house battery.
We're hooked up to 110v. The microwave light is on and works.
The 12v house batteries are run down (our daughter-in-law ran it down while dry camping). The batteries show 3 v each.
Even when plugged into 110 at home, there is no 12v power and it is not charging the house batteries.

We're opened up everything we can get at. Can't tell if any fuses/breakers are tripped. We can't trace all of the wiring. Much/most is behind walls, so can't locate the inverter. Manuals supplied by FR are not helpful.

More background:

The unit was used dry camping for about three days when she ran out of electricity. She ran the generator ...perhaps for an hour before it quit. She had some power for perhaps a day but it all went dead again (not unexpected). She had to turn the engine on to start the generator. She ran it once more. It quit after perhaps 20 minutes, but it didn't give her more power. (She was running the fridge on propane so was okay.)

At the end of the week, to get the slides in she was able to run a long extension cord to an outlet and was able to get enough power to get the stabilizers up and bring in the slides.

She had some issues driving home and took the rig to the Mercedes dealer. We think those issues were unrelated...not 100% sure...but they did some warranty covered work.

We picked it up and brought it home. At that time we noticed the radio/navigation unit wouldn't turn on. Also realized we had no lights.

At home we plugged it in. It's been plugged in for 24 hours. See paragraph 1 for current status.

This is a 2014 Solera.

Any advice?
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Site Team

There are two high current fuses in the converter (30-40A). If they are blown the battery will not charge and the 12V side of the RV will not work. If the battery is down to 3V when you plugged it in, the converter tried to charge at full current and probably blew those fuses.
You will need to charge the battery with an external auto charger as replacing the fuses will most likely just cause them to blow again. Once you get the issue resolved, take the batteries to an auto parts store for a load test. Draining batteries that low usually renders them virtually useless. They will charge, but not support a load.

The control board for the fridge runs on 12V. You need to have 12V even to run on propane.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Flip all the circuit breakers off, then back on (while plugged in to shore power). Our 2012 Solera will occasionally pop the breaker that operates the converter - resulting in no charge of the house batteries while plugged in or on generator power.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

Your converter is under the bottom left kitchen drawer, take drawer out to inspect connections, and fuses. There have been several strings discussing loose crimps on battery wires on our units. Slides and radio work off house batts so they are all related to the failure to charge. There is/are fuses and resettable breakers in the battery isolator box on side of steps. Good luck
Old 07-10-2016, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Flip all the circuit breakers off, then back on (while plugged in to shore power). Our 2012 Solera will occasionally pop the breaker that operates the converter - resulting in no charge of the house batteries while plugged in or on generator power.
X2
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #6

Sorry, but this hasn't been brought up yet...

Is the battery cutoff turned on? I'm only asking this because I had a similar problem the day after I brought my trailer home. Been there, done that...
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #7

thank you

Thank you all.

Will follow up in the morning with these excellent advice and suggestions.

And, yes, the first thing checked was the battery on/off switch.

Will post results.

Gary and Linda
Old 07-11-2016, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWTraveler View Post
Thank you all.

Will follow up in the morning with these excellent advice and suggestions.

And, yes, the first thing checked was the battery on/off switch.

Will post results.

Gary and Linda
I think the batteries are damaged and toast in any event.
When you attempt to charge...use a voltmeter at the battery TERMINALS to test to see if a charge is being deliverd while plugged in. Should read over 13 volts at the terminals. If you read less...the converter is either broken, blown fuses or not connected properly. Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #9

Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
There are two high current fuses in the converter (30-40A). If they are blown the battery will not charge and the 12V side of the RV will not work. If the battery is down to 3V when you plugged it in, the converter tried to charge at full current and probably blew those fuses.
You will need to charge the battery with an external auto charger as replacing the fuses will most likely just cause them to blow again. Once you get the issue resolved, take the batteries to an auto parts store for a load test. Draining batteries that low usually renders them virtually useless. They will charge, but not support a load.

The control board for the fridge runs on 12V. You need to have 12V even to run on propane.
You were spot on. There were two fuses blown. The batteries were taken in and load tested. They are not toast. They are fine. Replaced the two fuses, recharged and we were back in business.

Grateful to this community for the quick and thoughtful responses.

Gary and Linda
Old 08-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Normally those fuses blow when you hook the battery up backwards [emoji6]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "25"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #11

Cool Where are the fuses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWTraveler View Post
You were spot on. There were two fuses blown. The batteries were taken in and load tested. They are not toast. They are fine. Replaced the two fuses, recharged and we were back in business.

Grateful to this community for the quick and thoughtful responses.

Gary and Linda
Thanks for that tread
I have the same problem as you , my converter does not recharge the batteries when the RV is connected to 110Vac
The microwave works , and the AC also , but my batteries are going down.....

Can you tell me where exactly, were you able to located these 2 fuses?
I will check that first
I have a Solera 2011

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Jeff172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #12

Hi to all

Can somebody tell me where i can find these 2 fuses , i have the same problem , and I want to check them.
I have a Solera 2011

Tks

Jeff
Old 10-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #13

Unhappy Similar problem , my house batteries do not charge?

I have a similar problem than the initial post,
Even if my RV is plugged in the 110 Vac , my batteries do not charge and are coming down
I have the microwave working and the AC and all of the Outlets working also , but it seems like the converter is off duty and do not provide any recharge current to the house batteries??

I have a Solera 2011 type 24SS
Can somebody tell me where i can find the 2 output fuses of the converter , i will check that first.

Thanks a lot in advance

Jeff
Old 10-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #14

As said, on or inside the converter.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #15

Ditto...on or inside the converter. If you know the make and model # (should be printed on the converter) you can go on line to the mfr. site and get the manual for actual location if you can't find it.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff172 View Post
Hi to all

Can somebody tell me where i can find these 2 fuses , i have the same problem , and I want to check them.
I have a Solera 2011

Tks

Jeff
There is a panel cover -- I believe it is under the refrigerator. (If not, then just to the right, at floor level.) -- you need to remove a couple of screws to remove it.

I didn't actually do this. Other family member (son) did it. But I'm pretty sure that's where it is.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #17
2012 Solera

Jeff - Did you check the circuit breakers? (My post #3 above). The fuses blowing is rare; the converter circuit breaker tripping on hook up to shore power is common.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Turn off the pedestal breaker when plugg'n in
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #19
2012 Solera

Good advice, Bob. I do turn off the pedestal breaker when plugging in - still occasionally trip the converter breaker. Don't know why. Suspect some form of capacitor charge surge within the converter.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #20
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Haven't been into one.....YET!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v, charging, battery