Old 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Smile 1st oil change and subwoofer

Hi all,
I'm the new. owner of a 2015 Solera S. I have some questions.
Is the first oil change really not due till 15k? Has anyone added a subwoofer to their unit? How does your dealer treat you? Mine can't fix my propane gauge and they don't follow up on promises. All and all, We love it!!
Thanks for your input!
Pcbikenski

Old 01-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Ours was at 10,000
I did find it a little low and added a quart before change so check it
Our dealer was terrible. Only good thing I would say is they stock solera's to buy and finally fixed our problem after 3 try's and I told them how to fix. Units been trouble free since.
I'm sure most dealers are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 01-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

You should have a sub woofer under the dinette seat.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

MB specs are 10K. You will receive notification from your instrument cluster. If you plan on doing it yourself, you can save quite a bit of $. I strongly suggest you read up on this forum from previous posts, on things like resetting the service indicator, that will display from the cluster, along with the proper oil. The type of oil is extremely important.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #5

Starting with the 2014 Sprinter Chassis the recommended first oil change is 15,000 miles or 1 year.
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/files/m...nce_Manual.pdf

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #6

10,000 miles
Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecopco View Post
Starting with the 2014 Sprinter Chassis the recommended first oil change is 15,000 miles or 1 year.
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/files/m...nce_Manual.pdf

Interesting. So, does the cluster start ringing at or near 15K then. Has anyone have actual expierence. Wonder why they think another 5 K on the oil is ok. Just wonderikng.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #8

I'm going to change mine at 10,000 or 1 year which in my case will probably be about the same time.

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

Miles between oil changes has always been 15,000 in Europe. It was set at 10,000 in the U.S. because Dodge wanted to get people in more often to sell them more services. MB went along with it because they were worried that some might not use the right oil. No problem now that Dodge is no longer involved.

You might want to have the dealer do it until the warranty is off - or if you do it yourself, meticulously document it in case you need repairs.

It is very easy to change the oil and the advantage, in addition to saving money, is that you can guarantee the correct oil is used - extremely important.
To change the oil: you need the correct socket and torque wrench for the cap on top the oil filter, a new filter, enough of the correct oil, and a pump like is used for boat oil changes. Warm the engine, pump out the old oil thru the dipstick, unscrew the cap on the filter and replace the element, then replace the amount you removed with the new. Run the engine a while and recheck the oil. Also, always recheck after driving a little to make sure you didn't screw anything up.

According to one of the engineers who developed the NCV-3 version, it was designed to have the oil changed from the top. It can be done wearing white glove once you've had a practice run. All of above from the Sprinter Forum - highly recommended if you have a Sprinter based MH.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #10

The oil drain plug in the pan is very easy access without crawling under or jacking the RV. I don't know why you would want to pump the oil through the dip stick tube. I change the oil in mine myself and it is the easiest oil change I have ever accomplished. The filter sits on front of the engine and is accessed from the top. Also easy to change.

I keep all receipts for oil and filter along with recording when the change was accomplished.

BTW, the cheapest oil (other than online) was from the MB dealer.