Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #21

Time to find a new place to do your maint. $4 for washer fluid?!!! those services are nothing more than a LOF and rotate, plus a safety inspection. anything else they find is extra. just because it is on the list doesn`t mean it will need it. I do some of these MB`s services and we only charge around $500-$600 and we don`t charge extra for $1 in washer fluid!!

I would definitely shop around!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #22

I probably could shop around and get the service a bit cheaper elsewhere. However, there isn't another Sprinter shop within 200 miles other than this one. I could have someone else do it - but piece of mind that I get using the current MB/sprinter dealership makes spending the extra bucks worth it. When we purchase a Diesel engine, we know maintenance won't be cheap- but if you do it - this engine should last for as long as you want it too. And if I indeed keep putting 20,000 miles on it a year - I need it to last!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #23

I think I pretty much agree. Although I'll do oil changes, check fluids, etc., the major service interval stuff I'll leave to the dealer. I like your reasoning about "peace of mind." Reading forums, etc., I've already come to conclusion that taking a Sprinter to a non-MB service shop is risky business.

But on oil changes, I've had some bad experiences with dealers - often overfill, and on one occasion years ago I checked oil after a dealer service and found dirty oil on dipstick - they hadn't changed it even though they charged me royally for it!! My brother had a Cadillac dealer fail to tighten down filter properly and leaked oil until engine froze up.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #24

X2 Ed, Dealing with dealer ships is expensive but if they screw up they have to make it right. You do get what you pay for in most cases, but you have to watch them too.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #25

Amen. I do all my own work on any vehicle. The few times I've had someone else do repairs, if I was lucky enough the original problem was corrected, they always broke something else or scratched something. On recalls I ask for the new part and if I can install it and give them the old part back so they can get reimbersed from the factory. Most times I have been able to do that.
However it's getting harder to continue as a "do it yourselfer" with the computers and specialized software programing equipment needed.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Doing maintenance on 18 different diesel truck configurations on pickups to semi tractors and everything in between I can tell you that sounds extremely high.

We have one truck that requires
3 oil filters
2 fuel filters
And 14 gallons of oil and doesn't cost near that.

Looking at the receipt it looks as if all the parts are full list price.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #27

Oil/filter change/service on our former coach with Cummins 8.1 usually ran in $400+ range - I thought that was high. The 20K mile service on the MB Sprinter involves much more than just Oil/filter changes. Granted that MB dealers probably charge a premium shop rate, but I won't second guess whether the 20K service is overcharged or not. I'll have that service done by a dealer in order to protect my warranty, and will continue to do so until the MB chassis is out of warranty. I'd question whether my doing my own inspections, etc., meet warranty requirements - My son is an attorney, and he'll assure you that you wouldn't stand a chance against their lawyers.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #28

The quote "but piece of mind that I get using the current MB/sprinter dealership makes spending the extra bucks worth it." Just a little understanding here please, nothing more on that.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #29

No problem. Except that they didn't do the job 100% because they didn't have a lift for your RV! No peace of mind there! Sorry!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote