Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
I change my own oil every 10000 miles and document it in the manual that came with my Solera, as I do with every thing I do on it. I put a new sway bar on and document it, so on. As long as you keep track of what's being done on it and your not doing something that causes problems or is completely against the warranty. I've never had them ask me where I get my oil changed at the MB dealer.

Henry & Tena
2013 Solera 24S
The Great Escape
hkreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #12
I also change my own oil and keep good records. Easiest oil change I have ever accomplished. MB can't deny warrenty work if you do the change as required. The fuel filter, I will have MB do. The 10,000 @ 20,000 mile reset procedures are the same and you don't need a dealer to do them. $400.00 oil change ain't happening, but do what you are comfortable with.

2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #13
Hey, Lacamastraveler that is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for taking the time to post the information.
Ronhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #14
Thanks to Mikejgax, Hkreck, Ecopco, and Cover Dog for all of your great inputs. I really appreciate the information that you shared.
Ronhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #15
High quality synthetic oils can easily go 10k miles. I had a Toyota minivan that I used that schedule on and the oil was not even very dark at 10k. I passed that on to my daughter and it now has about 220k on it and still requires no oil to be added between changes.

Modern engines are built to more exacting tolerances and fuel management assures a much more ideal burn that prevents a lot of the crud that used to be a problem.

For a long time now, I've followed manufacturers suggestions on maintenance and I see no reason not to continue doing so.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #16
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Amsoil, the first synthetic oil on the market still has their top oil going 25,000 between changes...
Just to correct the record, although commercial uses for synthetic engine oils had emerged as early as the 1920s with Standard Oil and further pushed onto the market in 1946 with National Carbide Company, Amatuzio (founder of Amsoil) felt inspired to conduct research in the early 1960s. He soon re-branded the old technology with the slogan, "First in Synthetics" and sold commercially available synthetic oils using a multi level marketing business plan. Amsoil was founded in 1972 and introduced synthetic in 1973, Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #17
if anyone is uncomfortable running oil 20k, oil analysis can give much info as to oil life ,engine wear, air cleaner efficiency, fuel dilution, etc your dealer probably as it or go on line for a company there are many , things have changed since we changed oil every 3k

Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote