Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

20,000 oil change etc

I have a huge mental conflict regarding the 20,000 oil change in our 2015 Sunseeker 2000 MBS 24S. (Solera 24S).. First I cannot believe that you do not need to change the oil and filter alot sooner, and second why would you consider doing it yourself, when the Mercedes diesel engine has a 100,000 mile warrenty? I have always changed the oil and filter myself on our used MB's over the years, but to possibly void a new 100,000 mile engine warranty, makes little sense. Yeah, you may be able save a hundred bucks or so but spread out over a driving distance of 20,000 miles is penny wise and pound foolish in my sometimes misguided opinion. Anyway over 6,000 miles on it and so far no real problems. I still cannot get over the 20,000 mile interval for the oil change, but if Mercedes does stand behind the warranty, why should I change the oil any sooner, or do it myself, when I could be trying to fish in some remote British Columbia river?
Ronhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

I've changed my oil every 10000 on my Solera 24S, on the 20000 I changed the oil then took it into MB for a fuel filter change, as I didn't feel comfortable doing that. They changed the fuel filter, updated the computer and made some updates on warranty issues. I then took it back in a month later because the horn wasn't working and they repaired it all under warranty. The thing on the oil changes is the computer needs to be reset otherwise from what I understand the vehicle will shut down on you. So I'd say go for the 20000 if you want but be ready for a possible surprise.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

Red face

Thanks Hkreck:
Probably will take your advice, as the last thing I need is the motor shutting down. I forgot about any possible warranty work, and changing the fuel filter is probably above my pay grade anyway. Thanks for your reply
Old 04-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

My brother owns a couple of auto shops in Oregon (gas not diesel) and does a weekly radio advice show on one of the local stations. Yesterday his topic was oil changes; something he has discussed with me often times. I can't explain all the details here, but as he said yesterday, his shops have made many, many repairs on engines that haven't had regular oil changes. On the other hand, he's never seen a problem because the engine had too many oil changes.

I'm going with the 7,000 to 10,000 limit, depending on the kind of driving I do.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:30 PM   #5

My understanding was starting on the 2014 Sprinter chassis the oil change interval was increased to 15K miles instead of 10K miles or 1 year whichever comes first. We have a 2015 Solera on a 2014 chassis and I'm planning on doing the first oil change at the 1 year mark or about 10K miles as it so happens. Didn't get a quote yet from MB but I have read on this forum that the MB dealership price ranges between $250-$400. I think oil and filter alone will run you around $150 without rebates. My biggest concern is having someone inexperienced do the oil change and perhaps use the wrong oil. I guess if this happens at a MB dealership then it's their problem.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Oil change too

Ecopco - I have the same Solera as you. I'm having my "one year" service done early because I'm having a check engine light problem, the Sprinter warranty shop is 130 miles away and I'm planning to be there with the RV for another reason anyway.

My plan is to have them list everything they did, including all the specs and then having future oil changes done locally at an RV shop that can tell me what they would do before I tell them what the MB sprinter shop said to do.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Lacamastraveler, Ecopco and Hkreck, do any of you know if you get your oil changed anyplace other than an authorized Sprinter shop does that affect your 100,000 MB warranty in any way?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #8

Oil changes anywhere

I copied the info below, which my brother the shops owner provided me.

Also, if you look at your warranty book it will tell you the similar. However, you MUST meet their required oil change cycles or they can, in extreme circumstances, deny warranty coverage. If you change your oil yourself keep your oil and filter purchase receipts.

"The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits a new car dealer from requiring that your factory required service and maintenance be performed by the dealer in order to uphold your new car warranty. They can’t even require you to use their genuine factory parts unless they can prove to the Federal Trade Commission that they have the only part that will satisfy the manufactures requirement. For example, they cannot tell a consumer that they must use Genuine Subaru Oil or your warranty will be void. They would have to go through the painstaking process of proving to the Federal Trade Commission that their engine will fail with any other oil other than Genuine Subaru Oil."
Old 04-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Amsoil, the first synthetic oil on the market still has their top oil going 25,000 between changes. When you change your oil, you use their oil and their filter. At 12,500 you replace the filter and top off the oil, and then at 25,000 you replace everything once again.

I used their oil when I was dispatching for a courier company. All the drivers swore by it since they were putting 2,500-3,000 miles on their vehicles weekly. This way they could go 2 months without an oil change. Just needed a filter at the half-way mark.

Once you can get your brain past the 3-5,000 mile oil change interval everything is fine. I ran a 2001 Olds Silhouette van to 234,000 and then gave it to my daughter. She put another 40,000 on the van before she hit a tree. End of story...

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #10

I keep all receipts and a small log book in the glove compartment with everything I do to the vehicle with the exception of fueling. It really comes in handy and proves that you did all the required maintenance.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 AM   #11

I change my own oil every 10000 miles and document it in the manual that came with my Solera, as I do with every thing I do on it. I put a new sway bar on and document it, so on. As long as you keep track of what's being done on it and your not doing something that causes problems or is completely against the warranty. I've never had them ask me where I get my oil changed at the MB dealer.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #12

I also change my own oil and keep good records. Easiest oil change I have ever accomplished. MB can't deny warrenty work if you do the change as required. The fuel filter, I will have MB do. The 10,000 @ 20,000 mile reset procedures are the same and you don't need a dealer to do them. $400.00 oil change ain't happening, but do what you are comfortable with.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #13

Hey, Lacamastraveler that is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for taking the time to post the information.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #14

Thanks to Mikejgax, Hkreck, Ecopco, and Cover Dog for all of your great inputs. I really appreciate the information that you shared.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #15

High quality synthetic oils can easily go 10k miles. I had a Toyota minivan that I used that schedule on and the oil was not even very dark at 10k. I passed that on to my daughter and it now has about 220k on it and still requires no oil to be added between changes.

Modern engines are built to more exacting tolerances and fuel management assures a much more ideal burn that prevents a lot of the crud that used to be a problem.

For a long time now, I've followed manufacturers suggestions on maintenance and I see no reason not to continue doing so.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Amsoil, the first synthetic oil on the market still has their top oil going 25,000 between changes...
Just to correct the record, although commercial uses for synthetic engine oils had emerged as early as the 1920s with Standard Oil and further pushed onto the market in 1946 with National Carbide Company, Amatuzio (founder of Amsoil) felt inspired to conduct research in the early 1960s. He soon re-branded the old technology with the slogan, "First in Synthetics" and sold commercially available synthetic oils using a multi level marketing business plan. Amsoil was founded in 1972 and introduced synthetic in 1973, Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #17

if anyone is uncomfortable running oil 20k, oil analysis can give much info as to oil life ,engine wear, air cleaner efficiency, fuel dilution, etc your dealer probably as it or go on line for a company there are many , things have changed since we changed oil every 3k
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote